What's new

Memory problem with Shuttle SN85GV3 (1 Viewer)

Thomas J. Coyle III

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,
I recently put together a Shuttle XPC SN85GV3 to drive a display in my dining room with input from my LAN and cable feed. I consistently had installation errors while trying to install Windows Home Edition. I swapped out the CPU, hard drive, and the DVD ROM drive to no avail. I finally removed one of the two Kingston Value Ram 256MB ram modules from the motherboard and was able to install Windows. I then removed the remaining module and swapped it with the module that I had originally removed. I was then able to reinstall Windows again without a problem. However, when I have both ram modules installed on the motherboard, I cannot get Windows to install. The BIOS is the original V3 version and there have been two updates. However, the description of the updates do not address a ram problem.
I guess that the bottom line is, has anyone else experienced a ram module problem with this model Shuttle and how did you resolve it? I am beginning to suspect that it is a motherboard problem and the unit will have to go back to Shuttle for repair unless updating the BIOS will resolve the problem which is the next step after trying a different brand of memory modules.
Regards,
TCIII

Thomas J. Coyle III

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

It has been seven (7) days since I sent Shuttle's customer service an email detailing this problem and I have yet to hear from them. Their website says that they will respond within 72hrs. So much for Shuttle customer service.
I replaced the Kingston Value Ram KVR400X64C3AK2/512 with Cosair VS512MBKIT400C and was able to install Windows XP Home Edition with both ram modules installed on the XPC SN85GV3 motherboard.
I have always used Kingston Value Ram and have 512MB installed on the V2 version of the XPC SN85G which I installed Windows on without a problem.
I guess that the bottom line here is: "DO NOT COUNT ON SHUTTLE CUSTOMER SERVICE PROVIDING YOU WITH A RESPONSE WITHIN THEIR ADVERTISED 72HR RESPONSE TIME."
Regards,
TCIII

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
Thomas, this is the forum to go to:

All about Shuttles - a niche forum

You WILL find your answer there. I don't know anything about the Shuttles (other than I'd like to own one). Those guys on that forum, all they do is Shuttle this and Shuttle that. :D

I guess another forum is not the best answer, but it's all about Shuttle so I figure the mods will forgive this one.

Thomas J. Coyle III

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. I will give that forum a try. I plan to use more of the Shuttle SFF XPCs so it will be nice to have an in-depth knowledge base available to resolve problems.
Regards,
TCIII

Users who are viewing this thread