Memory Enhancment?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Mar 1, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

This may be a bit of a Stupid Question, but I'm full of 'em [​IMG]..

Is there any way to improve memory rememberance? For instance, I just had a conversation with the verizon phone tech dude who came out to try and fix the problems we've been having. I remember telling myelf, 'That conversation went rather well....even if we didn't get the problem solved yet..'. Although, as I thought back, I realized I couldn't remember how I greated the guy, or how I said goodbye after he left, if I did at all, even though it happened no more than a minute before..

Memory enhancment would also come in handy since I have a sleepwalking problem. For instance, Tuesday, I unplugged the stereo in my sleep, because for some reason, I thought it was emitting a loud buzzing noise, even though the speakers whern't plugged in. I remember vaugley unplugging the stereo, but not getting up or getting back to bed. Would be nice to know if I did anything else like turn on and off the computer like I did the night or two before.

Are there any techniques to improve memory recolection? The folks who have photographic memories must get that somehow [​IMG]. That's something I'd love to have, heh. Maby if I improve my memory, it'll get me to pay closer attention to what I'm doing on a day to day basis [​IMG].

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Take notes.

3. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

1. Get enough sleep (not too little, not too much).
    2. Get enough exercise.
    3. No shallow breathing, and no breathing in stale air.

4. Instead of passive listening, actively listen (as if you are going to be tested on it afterward or as if you are in a debate).

5. Repeat important thoughts quietly to yourself.

Now, read this again and test your memory by remembering this list!
    -JNS

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I had a car accident in which I lost all short term memory...did you see memento??? I was that without tatoos. Basically I dont remember anything for the next two years and even then had a 5% retention rate (they gave me a battery of tests....they said 20% was horrible memory)

At the time. I thought I was going to lose my job so I took a bartenders course. I needed to memorize about 100 drinks to get through the course.
    I did and it seemed to bring back my memory; in other words you need to 'train' your memory with something...doesn't matter what.
    It seems like you wire your brain by memorization then the connections are there for other things
    Good Luck now what the hell is my name and why am I on this site???[​IMG]

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I used to have a perfect system for doing this, but I've forgotten what it was.

Regards,

Joe

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

along the lines of what grant said..
    I found when I got away from school for a few years my memory went to hell, once I came back it was still bad, but improving. It's all about using it I think.

7. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>It seems like you wire your brain by memorization then the connections are there for other things
    Good Luck now what the hell is my name and why am I on this site???[​IMG]
    >>

Hmm, the brains memorization must be pretty powerfull, because my brain did something weird a few nights ago. I saw a listing for the volcano movie on the TVGuide Channel. I thought nothing of it the rest of the day, but then I had a Dream about passing Willie Nelson singing in a mall..

This perplexed me for a while long after I woke up. Untill I thought back to the Volcano listing. Then things hit me. There was a story told on the radio, where willie was being interviewed, about how he supposedly had a roady with him who knew everything about volcanos, and that's the only reason why the guy was around. My asleep mind must have put two and two together.

Apparently the brain can remember things indefinetly. Calling them to the surface is the problem [​IMG].

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Another souvenir from the accident is tinnitus (bells of St Marys going off in my right ear). Silence is not golden for me; in fact I cant generally fall to sleep because of it. I will generally have a documentary on with a sleep timer in order to sleep. Talk about strange dreams involving Romans or SS troops.........

The battery of tests (10 to 20 hours at least) I took was turned out some interesting results. The doctor had never seen results bouncing off both sides of the spectrum. My long term memory scores were almost perfect 95% to 100%; whereas my short term was so low I would forget things in mid sentence. It was so bad I was once sent on travel to the east coast and was driving to my hotel. I had to stop and find my tickets because I had no idea where I was....

10. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>I think our brains remember much more than we think, especially about our environment, we just can't pull that info up. >

I just wish someone would invent a way for us to recall anything at anytime, short of inventing a time machine. I'm trying to rack my brain after I sleep walk, hoping I didn't do anything strange or un-becoming(actually sleep walking out of my house like I think I did last year, for instance).

Each time I run by last week, with a few sleep walking incidents, my instincts tell me I'm fine, and that it's a big waist of time to be remembering. But it seems as if I'm happiest when I think I have something to worry about [​IMG].

Although, short of a photographic memory, it would be interesting to put a vid cam in my room and see if I really do more than I remember during a sleepwalk.

11. Ron C

Ron C Stunt Coordinator

There is a book called the Memory Book that teaches memorization via association. I'd tell you if it was good or not, but I keep forgetting to read it [​IMG]