Memory and CPU upgrade question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by BrianShort, Feb 20, 2004.

1. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

Currently my system only has 256 megs of ram, running XP as the OS... I've had some pauses in some of the games I've been playing recently, and would like to upgrade with another 512. I know I have PC2100 ram from Crucial, but I see that there are several types of PC2100 available... unbuffered, registered, non parity, ECC... how can I determine exactly what I have? I looked at an old statement on Newegg.com, and all it really told me was PC2100 2.5 something... does this even matter?

Also, I currently have an Athlon XP 1700+ CPU. My current motherboard (ASUS NFORCE A7N266-VM) supports up to a 2600+ according to Newegg... the board is a 266mhz bus, and the 2600+ chips I've found are 333... does this mismatch matter much, other than a slight slowdown from what the chip could do? Are AMD's CPU ratings actually accurate? Is the 1700+ I have, which is really 1.4 ghz, equivalent to a 1.7 ghz Pentium 4?

Also, I am planning on upgrading my video card from a 32 meg GeForce 2 GTS to at least a Radeon 9600 Pro for HL2 and Doom 3... will this be enough that I might not have to worry about upgrading the CPU?

Brian

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Just go to www.crucial.com and find your motherboard from the screen selection process they have. It will tell you exactly what type of ram that you can use in your system and they have decent prices on Ram with free shipping. The mismatch between the processor and Ram will not make that big of a difference but the faster bus speed that you have more performance you will get as long as the motherboard can support it. Same with the Ram if you motherboard can support faster it wouldnt hurt to buy the 333mghz just dont mix it with the slower PC2100 ram or you will not get the benefit. Doom 3 will tax almost any system and you should upgrade what you can. Granted going from a Gforce2 GTS to a 9600 will be a vast improvement and better for the gaming aspect then replacing the CPU if you have a choice but if you can do both it will not hurt you.

KyleS