MEMORABLE STAGE SHOWS THAT DISAPPOINTED AS A FILM

Discussion in 'Movies' started by cinemiracle, Mar 20, 2017.

1. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Supporting Actor

Peter
    A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC was brilliant on stage. The film sucked as Elizabeth Taylor was badly miscast. She completely ruined one of the most beautiful songs ever written - 'send in the clowns'. The film was a flop and went straight to video in most countries. It had a very very limited cinema release . The film was shortened for both cinema , video and dvd release. There has never been a release of the original running time .Hermione Gingold singing 'liaisons' was filmed but then cut. The song was one of the highlights of a brilliant stage show. Taina Elg would have been a better choice in the film, rather than Elizabeth Taylor. Taina was brilliant on stage in the show.

Bernard McNair likes this.
  2. cinemiracle

Peter
    BRIGADOON bored me to death. It was screening at the cinema where I worked. It was badly received by the public.I am not much of a fan of Gene Kelly but he did do a great job directing the film of HELLO DOLLY .

3. cinemiracle

Peter
    I

I loved CAMELOT when I saw it in 70mm. Truly amazing cinematography.I saw Richard Harris in the show on stage but hated it. Reason being was that it was staged in Sydney's Entertainment Centre (recently demolished).Truly the worst ever venue for seeing such a magnificent musical.Luckily I still have a dvd of the original Broadway version with Richard Harris.A stunning production. I am not sure if it is still available to buy.

Bernard McNair likes this.
  4. Jack P

Jack P Producer

The problem with the film version of "Camelot" is that Burton should have done the role. I have listened to an audio recording of him with Andrews-Goulet from 1961, seen the "Ed Sullivan" excerpts and also seen him on a camcorder recording of the 1980 revival (early on before his health problems kicked in again) and IMO he is simply the only actor who could ever do full justice to the part of Arthur. Harris is simply not in Burton's league on that score. I recognize that Jack Warner did try to get Burton, but he turned the project down and when he turned it down that meant Andrews wasn't going to do the film (she hated Harris) and Goulet had no film experience either. For all the criticisms that were leveled against "My Fair Lady" it is IMO a reasonably faithful translation and we at least see Harrison preserved on film in his greatest role. Burton should have had the same.

5. Jack P

Jack P Producer

There are also some film versions that are reasonably okay but make one small change that doesn't work. "Damn Yankees" falls in that category in that we have almost the entire Broadway cast (save for Tab Hunter replacing Stephen Douglass) but what IMO harms the film is the bizarre replacement of "A Man Doesn't Know" with the inferior song "There's Something About An Empty Chair". The former song works so much better on the final tag scene.

"A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum" unfortunately lost most of its score but I could have lived without the songs cut *except* for "Free." The absence of that song makes no sense to me whatsoever (Lester could have done a funny montage scene under the number "Can you see me as a poet writing poetry...." etc.)

6. cinemiracle

Peter
    I and friends of mine ,did not like Rex Harrison in the role in MY FAIR LADY. We believe that he was miscast. The part should have been played by a singer ,not some one who only talks his way through all of the songs.Once you notice that he is doing this,it is very distracting.

7. Jack P

Jack P Producer

But that's how the part was written, specifically to tailor to Harrison's style. And Harrison is the reason why the show became a phenomenal success to begin with. I think in the end Audrey Hepburn was able to do justice to the part of Eliza, but no one could have taken Rex Harrison's place in the part (and any other name that was considered would not have been a singer but someone who would have had to do the numbers basically the same way of sprechstimme as they call it).

8. Everett S.

Everett S. Movie King (formally a projectionist)
    Supporter

Everett
    Cary Grant was asked but turned it down.

9. GlennF

GlennF Second Unit

Glenn Frost
    Yes, but Grant felt it should be Harrison as well and apparently told Jack Warner that if he didn't put Harrison in the part he wouldn't even go see the movie.

10. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    Jersey Boys - somebody should have told Clint Eastwood that nobody went to the stage show for the plot.

GlennF likes this.
  11. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I adore The Pirate Movie from 1982.

Show us hands if you do too?

[​IMG]

Nobody. And they will lynch me when I say I've never seen Pirates of Pensants.

I bought 2 copies of the DVD and will buy the blu ray too WHEN it comes out. Just love that movie so much. Love the cast, the songs, the farce comedy, the settings... all of it.

12. TJPC

TJPC Supporting Actor

Terry Carroll
    We went to New York during the original run of "Nine" on one of our last "see 5 shows in 6 days" trips we used to take in the days before you needed a second mortgage to do so.
    Of all the shows we saw, "Nine" was our absolute favourite. I bought the cast recording on LP and cassette (because it had more songs), and we played it over and over until we had it memorized.
    I followed with great interest any news item that dealt with the filming of the movie version that finally made its way to the theatre a few years ago, and we saw it the first week.
    What a disappointment! Anything that was beautiful or funny in the play was stomped into the ground in the movie. Excellent songs were replaced by crap. The shame was that a very good cast was mis-directed from beginning to end. Nine on Broadway was a huge hit. Critics of the movie had no idea why it should have been filmed at all judging by the picked over carcus displayed on the movie screen.

13. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Rock of Ages was incredibly fun on stage. One of the most entertaining musicals I've ever seen. The movie. . .well, it's OK, but they somehow managed to change the plot entirely while keeping most of the same songs and characters. It's really bizarre. (The plot of the play is all about the boy pursuing the girl. . .in the movie, they hook up immediately and then split due to a goofy misunderstanding.)

Agreed about The Producers. It's also weird how they managed to make such a dull film out of such a fun show -- especially considering the fact that it was ORIGINALLY a hilarious movie!