Memoirs of An Invisible Man, any reviews of the DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by James L White, Aug 13, 2003.

1. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

DDD.com shipped my Vacation SE orer but not this disc yet. [​IMG] I'm curious how the a/v is on the disc.

2. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    Sorry, none to report just yet, but my local Wherehouse has a copy out early (same goes for "National Lampoon's Vacation" and "The Kid Stays in the Picture") and I'm planning on buying it tonight or tomorrow, since I don't have money just yet. If they still have it when I go back, I will buy it, and I will give you my verdict on the picture, but I haven't seen any reviews yet.

3. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    I don't think Warner is sending this one out for review so I think we'll have to wait for thoughts from fans.

4. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    Well, I'm back, and I just bought Memoirs of an Invisible Man, along with The Kid Stays in the Picture and National Lampoon's Vacation: 20th Anniversary Edition. All August 19th releases that my local Wherehouse broke the street date on. Anyway, Memoirs looked pretty good on my 4:3 TV when I viewed it this afternoon. My only complaint is that on most dark scenes, it looked like a transfer that was produced in 1997. I may be alone in that criticism, but the only other problem I had was a lack of sharpness, but despite these minor complaints, I thought it was a good transfer. The audio is presented in Dolby 2.0 and it sounds really good. While I would've love to have a 5.1 mix, Shirley Walker's music and the sound effects come through very nicely, and the dialogue is crisp and clear.

The features, on the other hand, leave something to be desired. The "How to Look Invisible" featurette on the visual effects is nice and informative, but it should've been longer. It was only 4 minutes, but what set it apart from featurettes on other DVDs is that it didn't seem to be a brand-new puff piece. It really was informative. Next, we have some outtakes, which are really small pieces of deleted scenes left on the cutting room floor. I don't want to spoil them because I want you to see these for yourself. Also, there is an easter egg. In the Special Features menu, hit the left button and you will see Checvy Chase's head highlighted. Click on it and you will see a piece of behind-the-scenes footage from the set.

Now the downsides, the HBO featurette is NOT on the disc, and although it stated on the back as being there, there is no theatrical trailer for the film on the DVD, which really pissed me off because I wanted to see how they marketed this picture.

As for the film, this is the first time in several years that I have seen the film. I used to love it when it first premiered on HBO in 1993. I was only 7 then and I watched it a lot. Watching it this afternoon, I enjoyed it a lot and laughed quite a bit, but I ended up comparing it to Hollow Man, but in that regard, I thought it was great because that film made Memoirs of an Invisible Man look like Citizen Kane. In other words, I love this movie and I think it is fantastic. At least the movie isn't concerned with starting a blood bath, but more concentrated in making an edge-of-your-seat action-suspence comedy, and in that regard, the film works like a charm, just like it did when I was 7.

BTW, I wonder why Warner changed the title artwork. While it is a minor complaint, I like the original title artwork better. Now don't worry, the actual cover art that was used for the poster is still there, but the title artwork shouldn't have been changed. Call me a purist, but I wish it would've been done that way. But the DVD is a good product at a decent price.

5. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Yesterday afternoon I received NL's Vacation and Memoirs of an Invisible Man from WB as screeners... I no sooner popped in Vacation and we lost power which was only restored an hour ago. So, I hope to have it done sometime today and MoaIM soon.

The bad news... ER, The Iron Giant SE and The Prince and the Pauper have all been delayed.

Herb.

6. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

7. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Oh well, I didn't wanna wait so I ordered mine from dvdempire, it should arrive Monday.