What's new

MEMENTO - Watch the American release in chronological order! (1 Viewer)

Andre F

Screenwriter
Seymour,
Thanks for the link. I find it difficult to read the story on my TV.
-Andre F
------------------
-= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
quote:
Sorry guy's, backward, forward or in order, this is not a good film. No way is it Pulp fiction caliber. I was looking forward to seeing it. Was I disappointed. It actually became incredibly boring.[/quote]
Link Removed
wink.gif
?
-Tom
------------------
There is nothing wrong with any of the surrounds on your Forrest Gump DVD! It's ok!!!
[Edited last by Tom Ryan on September 22, 2001 at 12:43 PM]

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Woah, give the man a break. I like both Pulp Fiction and Memento a lot but the only thing vaguely similar about the two is the non-linear storytelling. No reason everyone should like them both...
Theo

RicP

Screenwriter
Seth:
I agree 100%. As a film lover and p/t screenwriter, analyzing this film is a great lesson in editing and time-manipulation technique.
I've seen the film 4 times now, twice normally and twice chronologically. It gets better with every viewing.
I think some people just take this "Director's intent" thing a bit too far.
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
While I applaud the effort it took to determine how to play this film chronologically, my DVD player does not display the total run time of a film. My player displays the elapsed time in each chapter, reverting to zero at the start of each chapter. There may be a display adjustment on a sub-menu, but I really don't see myself seeking this out.
Many DVD players apparently have options that are fairly unique to models and/or brands. Some of these are interesting, but fairly useless. For example: I often wondered why reviewers would question the location of a layer change, because my player (Sony S530D) has an on screen display option which tells you what layer is currently playing. Now ask me if I ever used it.....
------------------

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
I watched MEMENTO "in order"...it was neat seeing this movie that way. It gives it more understanding and makes me WANT to see it again with mixed-up scenes. :)
------------------
LuvLBX

DougB

Agent
One question. And yes I liked the movie, so I'm not just trying to poke holes in the plot. If he can't form new memories,and can't remember anything for more than a few minutes after his head got cracked on the mirror....How does he know he has a condition?

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator
How does he know he has a condition?
There are all kinds of plot points that could be challenged if he truly were unable to remember anything since the accident. Here's one explanation that takes care of those problems:Spoiler:The condition is self-induced as a way of dealing with his guilt over his not preventing his wife's death. He created the Sammy Jankis character in his mind to model the condition in its perfect form, but in his own case he actually can remember what he needs to in order to keep the illusion alive.
Seymour

Phong

Agent
I had a lot of free time this afternoon, so I decided to rip the Memento DVD, chop up the mpeg file, and reassemble in chronological order. Very big thanks to Jeff Cooper for providing cut times.
It's really neat to watch in order, without having to input times with your remote or anything. The only problem is that there are no video editing programs I have that can reverse video (mpeg is completely terrible to reverse), so I can't stick the opening credits backwards at the end.
The transition from B/W to color makes a great break point to span over two VCDs.
I'd recommend doing this if anybody has about 5 hours to spare.

RobR

Second Unit
**THIS IS AN OLD THREAD** (I don't want some people wondering why they never saw this thread, but I don't feel like starting a new thread)

Today I decided to take the lazy approach of watching Memento in the (almost) forward chronological order by using the program play function of my Sony player. I programmed it to start at chapters 17 through 19, then to chapter 15 all the way back to chapter 1. I got to watch the black and white scenes in the reverse chronological order. I noticed a few things I didn't catch previously.

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
The UK Region 2 disc has an easter egg of the film in it's chronological order, beginning with the end credits scrolling backwards. (The entire film is actually stored on the disc twice!). You may find that the R1 Special Edition coming later this year will have the same feature.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode that was cut in the same manner as Memento? Something about a wedding?
LARUE,
Exactly! One of my favorite episodes, and it came to mind as I watched Memento as well. Of course the Seinfeld episode was much more faithful to the "reverse linear" mode but the concept was similar. Good call.
And Jeff, might I add that you have much too much time on your hands?
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
(Like I should talk!)
Seriously, good job on this. I'll make time to watch the movie in "chronological" (or would that be "chronoillogical"?) order. I had thought about this and I appreciate that you took the time (no pun intended) to do all the leg work.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks