What's new

MEMENTO: LIMITED EDITION discussion thread (for menu-navigation and ALL other issues) (1 Viewer)

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
...you got some props over at dvdfile....got some nice attention over at CHUD.com as well...
I'd better be careful: all this attention (the site is mentioned in the Genre Online review of the DVD, too) will go to my head. I guess my fifteen minutes have begun. :)
Seriously, it is nice to see the word getting out: I'm just glad to have gotten so much good feedback from contributors (both in this thread and elsewhere).
doug

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Man, that is one nastyass piece of packaging. Slipcase too tight, paper clips, grip-of-death hubs, you name it. Apparently the menu design is not the only place where they decided to be as annoying as humanly possible. The discs and the booklet went immediately into a slimline case and the packaging went into the bin of misery where all the other replaced crappy packaging (like the ST TNG boxes) goes to live. Are there any high-res replacement covers for the LE floating around?

Oh, and my clip was green.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
just got finished watching the chronological edit. a few questions/comments :

1) the transfer seemed every bit as good as disc one, which surprised me, for a hidden extra. the audio was 3/1.

2)can't skip chapters or rewind - you can only pause it (at least on my rp91)

3)it's not a seamless edit - some shots/scenes are repeated in the transitions...i almost wish they did a seamless edit but that's a small quibble!!

4) NEVER let ANYONE watch the film for the first time this way!!!!!! it is strictly for fans of the film who want a new experience.

M

MaxY

Ok I just finished trying to play with this DVD.

Damn I hate this trash. The menu system is a killer and a time waster.

On the other hand I have to Thank Doug for his web site. Now I can print it all out and then try the extras disc again knowing where I am going.

Thanks Doug.

Max

TedD

Supporting Actor
This DVD Disk 1 is one of the best reasons I have yet found to use Zoom Player.

Navigate the trash menu system once, set a Start book mark, choose your sound and A.R. settings and save them.

Next time, insert disk, watch movie.

Ted

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Great site first off. Nice idea on the PDFs.
In regards to this LE being "crap" for it's menus, I disagree due to one key point. This truly is a Special Edition disc in that a very satisfactory DVD release for the film already exists. The LE seems to have the intent to IMMERSE the viewer totally within the Memento world. Everything about it is special, extra, and beyond normal. And in that way I think it's fine to make the experience rather crazy.
If this was your only option on the film I can see complaints. But for people who simply want to see the film another option exists. The menus for the LE are clearly PART OF the extras for the release, not just some barrier to the "real" extras. They all go hand in hand.
BTW, since the divergent commentaries offer different versions of Teddy lying or not, and since the commentary randomly jumps while listening to it in a normal player, I strongly suspect that the intent is to create MORE DEBATE.
Think about it outside the crazy online HTFer type world that we are in. The average Joe-fan (not a Joe6, just someone who doesn't hawk the internet for every shred of DVD info like us freaks do :)) puts the film in and watches the commentary track. He gets an absolute answer but meanwhile his buddy across town does the same thing and gets a different answer.
Cut to the water cooler and there they stand arguing that it is a lie/truth because it said so on the commentary track. Both are correct and have no idea that they have randomly listened to different versions. It even makes you question your memory of what you heard on the commentary, especially if 3 other people back up the other guy's version.
Personally, I think it's genius.

TedD

Supporting Actor
Not Zooming on anything.... except my 2.40:1 constant height screen which eliminates any and all black bars.

Seriously, Zoom Player offers much much more than the ability to Zoom.

Navigate the trash menu system once, set a Start book mark, choose your sound and A.R. settings and save them.

Next time, insert disk, watch movie, no menus, DTS automatically selected, proper aspect ratio automatically selected. Movie starts at the studio logo.

Much more theater-like.

Ted

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i hope my eyes are deceiving me, but it sure looked to me like the chronological cut looked BETTER than the main feature. it's slight, but on a larger screen (38") with a progressive feed, the image looked a little more detailed with color balance slightly better. again, this could have been a complete fluke but if someone else could chime in, i'd appreciate it!

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
I've updated Link Removed with a revised keepcase-sized booklet for those who want a printed copy to keep with their DVDs. The content of the booklet hasn't changed significantly from the last version: I've just polished up the format in the hopes of making it look a bit nicer.
As always, I welcome suggestions and criticism.
doug

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
Douglas-

You are my new hero. I ran out & bought this set immediately and started trying to list the steps to find things. Obviously your brain works far more logically than mine.

As I said earlier, I don't want other sets to follow suit, but for this film, the menus are perfect.

The packaging, on the other hand, went right into the drawer full of odd "collector's" cd and DVD covers.

DannyS

Second Unit
could somebody please tell me how the hell to get my discs in and out of the box wothout ruining it?! I've seen the photo of what someone did but i did not understand it. can anyone help?

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Another thank you for the navigation guide. I got this thing today, and it'll be worth owning for no other reason than to lend it to people to see em get frustrated. While I think it's nice and creative though, I wouldn't mind these sort of menus being more optional. I also picked up Harry Potter today, and I really sort of resent having to hunt for the extras I paid for. Hopefully this doesn't become a habit... The game is fun once, but that's about it.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I'm surprised so many are having problems getting the discs out of the slipcase (or maybe I'm misunderstanding?). I don't have any problems. I also managed to get the discs out with not too much difficulty. Past experieces with Akira and Clockwork Orange box helped.
For now the discs are in a slimline 2cd jewel box until I've decided I won't be revisiting them for a while and they can go back in the packaging.
-paul
(yellow paper clip, but didn't realize there were vaying colors. more on the lookout for pristine packaging I guess :)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I think it's identical. Let's put it this way: I haven't seen anything discussed here that doesn't appear on my copy. My advice is to go grab it!

Matthew_S

Second Unit
Holy sh*$t, i almost threw this damn package across the room last night! What a pain in the arse to open!! What exactly is keeping the inner sleeve from coming out!? I was cursing Memento, Christopher Nolan, and all dvd packagers last evening.:angry:

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
What's more with the slipcase is that even after you succeed in getting the inner case out, any misalignment of the two disc holders will make it virtually impossible to put them back in. It's just that tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks