What's new

MEMENTO: LIMITED EDITION discussion thread (for menu-navigation and ALL other issues) (1 Viewer)

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
DVDFile lists several extras that don't appear on the new release:
  • a Memento feature with production notes and backstory on characters
  • cast and crew biographies
  • photos of Lenny's tattoos
  • a trailer for Nolan's previous film Following
  • an Independent Film Channel interview with Nolan.
As far as I can tell, none of these features appears on the Limited Edition release. I'm certainly holding on to my copy of the regular disc, partly because I'm a feature-completist, partly to have it as a loaner and travel copy and partly because I just love its disorienting menus.
doug

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Douglas many thanks for all your efforts pulling this together.

I have tried to access the pdf file on your site to print for my case but it crashes on my PC. Are you able to let me know what version of Adobe Acrobat is required to view it.

Thanks

Malcolm

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
There's a branching point at 1:33:52 in the film (which is the end of Chapter 13 in Title 1 on the disc). If I'm listening to the DD 5.1, DD 2.0 or DTS 5.1 tracks at that point, the disc continues to Chapter 14 in Title 1 and the commentary becomes garbled from about 1:37:20 on through the end of the film.

If, however, I'm listening to the commentary track at 1:33:52, there's a brief pause and the disc switches to Title 2, 3 or 4 (seemingly at random). These titles contain three subtly different versions of the ungarbled commentary for chapters 14-16.
The three commentary tracks on Title 2, 3, and 4 all begin the same way -- they're identical until shortly after the final scene changes from B&W to color. Then they diverge quite radically, particularly in regard to whether Teddy is telling Leonard the truth.

The commentary track on Title 1 is played backwards, not garbled. I used my DVD-ROM to record this track and reverse it, and it's identical to the commentary on Title 2. Similarly, there are a few backwards words at the very start of the commentary -- they simply repeat the first few words of the commentary.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
I've just updated Link Removed to include a few minor changes:
  • Added instructions for reaching a hidden gallery with front/back cover art for a Memento bootleg DVD (courtesy of Claes Källarson)
  • Updated my one-sheet PDF to include this new information (also revised the format to better match the film's credits)
  • Added a link to a booklet PDF with the full contents of the site (courtesy Craig Sherman)
I have tried to access the pdf file on your site to print for my case but it crashes on my PC. Are you able to let me know what version of Adobe Acrobat is required to view it.
Malcolm, it should just require Acrobat Reader 4.0 or higher: at least, that's what InDesign says when I'm exporting to PDF. Please try the updated one-sheet PDF and let me know if it continues to cause you problems.
Thanks again to everyone who's looked at the site and offered criticism.
doug

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Did anyone else have a tough time getting the sleeve off the movie case? I had to open the black edge and push mine out, and when I put it back in, it once again would not come out.
I had that problem, too. Same solution. Decided to put the discs in a double Amaray case and just put the original case away for safekeeping.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Let me first say that this is an important movie to me and think this LE DVD set is perfect. The DTS soundtrack is fantastic and the video looks alot better.
Thanks for that booklet Douglas , I printed one up for my set.
I had a hard time getting the DVD set out of the box and found that cutting a tiny sliver of paper off of each side of the white cover and then putting all of the paperwork in between the DVDs makes everything work well.
Also the DVDs will pop out better if you break one of the center pieces off.
I also pulled off the proof of purchase tag in between the DVDs as well.
Everything fits perfectly, the blue DVD backing, the papers that came with it and the DVD booklet Douglas made.
I do not like separating my DVD from their original cases because I like to make use of my purchases.
You can see what I did here...
http://www.blarg.net/~jameswj/memento.JPG

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
In all my repeat viewings of the new LE disc, I've noticed two (very minor) flaws in the transfer:
(1) On the long shot held under the opening credits, there's a slight downward "bulge" in the top-left letterbox bar, so that the black intrudes very slightly into the picture. This does not occur on the old transfer.
(2) At 43m 39s, when Leonard marches Dodd out of his room with a gun in his back,
the shot has an odd blue tint that disappears after a few frames (look at the colour of the suit or the bare arm). It almost looks as if the colour-timing instructions were accidentally carried over from the previous shot to the beginning of this one. Again, this effect is not present on the older transfer, so it's not a film flaw.
Neither of these should dissuade anyone from buying the LE disc: they're tiny flaws (the first in particular is almost unnoticeable) and the other improvements in the transfer and sound, not to mention the added extras, more than justify the new disc IMHO.
doug

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Oh, I gotta know...what does he say?
One commentary track (Title 3) basically says that Teddy is lying, since he's been lying throughout the film. Another track (Title 4) says that Teddy is telling the truth. The remaining track (Title 2) doesn't say anything about it.

By the way, I finished watching the chronological version of the film (for the second time -- I already own the Canadian edition that lets you program the tracks in chronological order). The chronological version on the LE is extremely cool in that it plays the final and opening credits in reverse, with the sound re-edited to fit. In other words, it ends with the opening credit scene played in forward motion, not reverse motion.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Joe Schwartz, I'd love to know how you got yours to do that. My player froze right after the gunshot at the "end" of the chronoversion, and I saw no indication that it was planning to do anything else. What Title & Chapter number were showing for the reverse opening credits?

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Robert, I didn't do anything special when playing the chronological version. Maybe your DVD player had a problem playing it? The reverse opening credits are on Title 8, Chapter 1, but my player doesn't let me jump directly to that chapter. Instead, I started playing the chronological version and jumped to timecode 1:47:00.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait to get home from school and watch this tomorrow (second viewing). First time (w/original DVD) I didn't fully comprehend it, but I understood enough to know it's great. I really need to unwind with a good movie (or five) after a horrible week.:frowning:

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Doug, thanks for the navigation summary. After exhaustively going through every option on every page, I think your list is complete. One small correction: the sequence for getting to the DVD Credits is clock-C-C-C-C-D, not clock-C-C-C-D.

Users who are viewing this thread