What's new

MEMENTO: LIMITED EDITION discussion thread (for menu-navigation and ALL other issues) (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I've retitled the thread. Let's try to consolidate all discussion of the Memento LE in one place. (I suspect most of the discussion will relate to navigational issues anyway).
M.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Great. At least with the Harry Potter DVD I can somewhat understand their motivation for making a game out of it. What's their excuse here? They can do it, so they did it? My idea of interactivity is something like the Snow White Platinum edition. It was hilarious if you didn't do anything on the menu for a while you'd get the mirror to start taunting you. But you didn't have to jump through hoops to see something.

I agree with both sides of this argument, but the chronological edit UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should be available as a standard special feature.
Why? Are you afraid people might watch it first? I shouldn't have to do anything other than click on a simple menu option to watch this. I don't need to be protected by the DVD makers because someone else might ruin the movie for themselves.

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
It doesn't look like a lot of sites have reviewed the Memento LE, and the ones that have don't say much about upgradeability.

Are the transfer and sound enough to warrant an upgrade from the original? I don't know if I can warrant buying the LE for extras alone, considering I'll probably only get through them once, if at all.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
As a screenwriter and having come that close to sales, I feel strongly toward this movie in the fact that more than the usual lazy Hollywood remake can still be made and embraced. I love the MEMENTO CE and will defend every bit of it's quirky contents. And I do own the X Box...and PS2 . . . and the 'Cube! :D What do you think writers do in their spare time? ;)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I haven't seen the "Mori" text pop up, so I would like to add something else. If you go to the pictures you must put in chronological order and put them in normal order (as opposed to the backwards order you must put them in to see the chronological edit of the movie) you can get the "Memento Mori" short story as well.

Edit: Additionally, has anyone tried putting the disc in a DVD-ROM drive yet to look for features? Oh an I also love the format of this disc as well. A great way to show off the abilities of the DVD format. This is especially confusing to me that the forum doesn't agree with this becuase it was the director's intent to make the DVD like this. From the people who complain that most average consumers don't agree with the director's widescreen intentions, this is surprising to me.

MatS

Screenwriter
on to a more serious question.....
what color paperclip did you choose or receive?? :D
I chose yellow
secondly everyone mentions the availability of the chronological order version of the movie...can I ask of those who have watched it if it added to the experience of the movie? Is it an easy viewing or is it awkward now to watch in this sequencing? Does it flow properly?

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I got a blue clip. Nyah, nyah. :)
I'm not someone who's into easter eggs usually, but I am quite impressed with this SE packaging. One, we already knew about the way it was configured, a month or two in advance. Two, normal easter eggs are hidden and it's possible that the user may never find them or even know of their existance. With this SE, you know that almost everything is hidden. Three, I'm part of the audience and I'm not going to tell a director what to do with the presentation of his film or the way it is presented in the home, especially since the film itself is accessible with almost no interaction. Four, both discs will be mapped out by the end of the week.

AaronJB

Second Unit
I was able to get the "General" menu for the second disc's features by clicking on the clock then answering "E" for all the questions that came up.
Link Removed

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Well, enjoy clicking on just a trailer, because if studios get enough flack for being inventive with discs, we'll be back to the early Disney-released DVDs where all you got were trailers.
What have complaints relating to the menu design got to do with the quality of the extras on a DVD?

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I was just in the process of watching the director commentary, and the first line that he says sounds like jibberish, and the same for the last 20 minutes or so. I'm using my DVD-ROM drive right now, and PowerDVD is the software i'm using to watch it. It definitely sounds like a cd thats being fastforwarded, and I'm pretty sure that its not supposed to happen and that its just my disc, but if anyone else has this problem let me know. I think I'm going to give a couple days to see if its just me.. and then if it is just mine, i'll just exchange it for a new copy.

Edit: The exact time is 1:37. It happens on my Panasonic DVD-RA60 as well.

MatS

Screenwriter
am I supposed to pull of the paper backing on the slipcase? It is being held on with a small amount of glue in one spot. Does it come off easily without destroying the packaging?

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
I certainly wouldn't want many (or any) other discs like this, but I'm really pleased with this ONE. Memento is not your typical movie and the DVD should, likewise, be a little unusual.

Great job on the navigation guide. I'm gonna give it a couple days before I print it out though...I feel a few more things will be found.

"Mori" also does not show up on mine.

Orange paper clip.

I love this set.

My paper backing just fell off. I'd say remove it.

MatS

Screenwriter
yep, I pulled it off slowly and did no damage to the packaging.

Watching the film in a linear fashion was a very cool unique experience. Not sure what the audio format is on the chronological version, but it appears you cannot choose. I'm getting sound from all 5 speakers and sub but only left, right fronts and sub light up on my receiver display.

Doug R

Supporting Actor
Can anyone supply more information about this three audio commentaries for the last 10 minutes of the original movie? Is this real?

Greg Br

Second Unit
On DVD Planet there are two dvd's shown as released today,one for the $19 price and one labeled "movie only" special edition for $35. I see the more expensive set has three disks, does anyone know what these two special editions are all about.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
The first disc is not all that difficult to navigate. Once you figure it out (which takes maybe 30 seconds of trial and error), it's easy.

I haven't popped in the 2nd disc yet so with all I've been reading, I'm ready for a menu maelstrom.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
Here's what I've found, Joe_H (and others), in regards to the commentary "garbling" issue:
There's a branching point at 1:33:52 in the film (which is the end of Chapter 13 in Title 1 on the disc). If I'm listening to the DD 5.1, DD 2.0 or DTS 5.1 tracks at that point, the disc continues to Chapter 14 in Title 1 and the commentary becomes garbled from about 1:37:20 on through the end of the film.
If, however, I'm listening to the commentary track at 1:33:52, there's a brief pause and the disc switches to Title 2, 3 or 4 (seemingly at random). These titles contain three subtly different versions of the ungarbled commentary for chapters 14-16.
There's a lot of repeated material between these three versions. I think the point is just to disorient the listener (a la the end of the McQuarrie/Singer track on The Usual Suspects), not to offer three full commentaries on these chapters.
(Interestingly, I can't get this trick to work in PowerDVD. But it works consistently on my set-top player: I can even go past the branch point in, say, DD 5.1, back up, change to the commentary track and see the player switch titles when it hits the branch point again.)
hth,
doug

Paul D G

Screenwriter

It's not a problem with you disc. They're just being clever. note that the opening sequence is filmed in reverse (not to mention Reverse has a lot to do with the movie itself). The opening line of the commentary is just in reverse.

BTW, is anyone with DVD Rom drives willing to capture these reverse audio segements and filp them the other way via some audio software? Be interesting if they say anything signigicant or just normal lines of commentary played backwards.

-paul

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Loving this title so far, but there is no way in hell I am putting the discs back in the package they came in. Way, way, way, way, way too tight. Fortunately, I've got several spare double Amaray cases lying around.

YellowOrange clip.

Edit: corrected my faulty clip-color memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks