What's new

Memento DVD review (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Looks to be the first Memento DVD review.
Link Removed
Good enough for me... no need to wait for the SE.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Looks like they are using the same newspaper click and read that the web site had. That's ok, but since some of the stuff on the website doesn't relate to the film, you have to wonder why. Maybe it's a different paper than the site, though, which would be very cool. At any rate, this is my most anticipated title this year, bar none.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Adrian_P

Stunt Coordinator
So far Memento is still at the top of my list of great fils I have seen this year. Due to this being a Columbia Tri-Star release can anyone confirm if it has RCE protection or not as I have a multi-region player that doesn't work to well with RCE. I would really love to know so I order it as soon as possible, as I need to see this film again.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Matt,
Where did you hear about an SE? This is news to me. If ever there was a movie screaming for an SE, Memento is it.
Ted

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
I cannot say the person's name, but he/she works at Sony. The films' director is gung-ho for an SE and so is Sony, so expect either a 2 disc SUPERBIT (with disc 2 being the extras) or a standard RSDL SE with lot's of extras, making of, etc.
No extras are firm yet. It's all up to the director.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

jez

Stunt Coordinator
Think you will find that 2.35:1 is the correct ratio, it was that on the rental version which has been out over here for a while.
Also here: Link Removed
------------------
"You've done a man's job sir. I guess you're through"
My reviews

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I would love to know if the chapter stops match up to the scenes, so we can program the disc to be played in order. Unfortuneately, the review only lists it having 19 chapter stops, so that doesnt seem like there's enough for this to happen.
frown.gif

------------------
-Jeff Cooper
"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
This will be one of the few DVD's that I buy without having seen the movie. I will be purchasing it on word of mouth reviews alone, mostly by members of this forum (whom I obviously trust!) :)

Kyle Milligan

Stunt Coordinator
Memento is one of those "must-have" DVDs if only so you can check it out again, and get the story straight. Transfer looks great, and who can resist this film?
Full details here and here's my comment on the DVD.
I guess it’s only fair to tell you up front that I truly dig “Memento”. Knowing that this sort of thing can bias my opinion, you should only take my word for so much. But it seems I’m not alone. Those who designed the menus for this film must’ve felt a certain fondness for it also. The menus are as cool and thematically appropriate as any I’ve ever seen, yet simple and classy.
In an interesting interview with writer/director Christopher Nolan, we learn a little about the filmmaker’s experience for “Memento” and Nolan’s first, lesser known film “Following” as well (trailer included on DVD). Nolan talks about the short shoot, working very quickly over twenty-five and a half days, and how it was only possible with the incredible memory power of star Guy Pearce. The story’s narrative demands a great deal of exacting repetitious action, and without Pearce’s uncanny ability to recall fine details of the previous shot, they’d never get things done as quickly as they did. Nolan also talks about the “terrifying” experience of showcasing at festivals, and his personal appeal towards films that stand up to a second viewing. Intelligent and accommodating, Nolan fielded questions from the studio audience as well, revealing that he’s not one to watch a scene through monitors or headphones, despite the current prevailing trend to do so. He’d simply rather watch the scene with his own eyes beside the camera.
For a peek at some of brother Jonathan Nolan’s material, you can read “Memento Mori” which presumably is the short story that originally inspired the screenplay, or check out the archived website for otnemeM. It’s pretty cool, but it might not clear things up as much as you’d hope.
As for insights into what really happened to Leonard Shelby and his wife, Nolan is not asked, and does not volunteer any information either. It’s quite possible that an audio commentary might spoil some of the allure of the film, and perhaps some of us are just looking for a quick and easy answer. May I offer you this one small hint if you haven’t already noticed it before. Get your DVD to chapter 16, and queue up to the 1 hour 29 minute and 55 second mark, and watch the next second very carefully. This brief glimpse might help you get a bit closer to the truth on your own terms, but none of us can be truly sure without at least one of the Nolan’s assistance.
------------------
Kyle
www.toldyouso.net

Gilbert Galindo

Stunt Coordinator
I too will be geting this even though I have not seen it. It looks like it will be a good one. I just wish then made this a full out special edition instead on coming out with one 10 months later, which we all know they will-Superbit style. Quit making us repurchase these damn things.

Gabriel Martin

Auditioning
So, is it very official, 100 % sure, that Memento will get a SE treatment in the near future like we all knew for Almost Famous ?
------------------
G a B
"Yes my real name is Gabriel Martin and no, I don't like The Patriot"
My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks