Members acting as moderators

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasenP, Mar 20, 2002.

1. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I apologize for bringing this up, but it is truly irritating to me.

I have seen quite a few instances lately of members taking on the responsibilities of the mods. People feeling the need to post comments such as "There is another thread alrewady started, Try the search function next time" "This belongs in the software section" "You MUST post prices" and there are many more.

If a member's intention is to TRULY help someone with there comments they should either PM or e-mail that member. Even letting a mod know about a situation is better than them taking it upon themselves to police the forum.

Is there an unwritten rule against this? Should there be a formal rule?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Not only is there no rule against it, but it's also something that I personally encourage. I did it myself before I became a moderator. Those of us with the official title can't be everywhere all the time, and the forum can only benefit from members contributing to maintaining an orderly environment (so long as it's done in a polite and helpful way, which it almost always is).

M.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I don't think a formal rule is necessary-- and to be honest, as long as it doesn't get too far out of hand, I actually like members acting as junior mods.

Just like real life, the cops aren't everywhere-- and a little social pressure is a vital part of a civilized society. Heck, we "cops" are simply volunteer members-- so there is nothing to say the other members can't be on the lookout too.

I've always thought an important element of the forum was the "Seasoning" of the attitudes of new members by the established forum. You'll see new people come in with a serious chip on their shoulder, and established members will usually let the person know that the attitude on the HTF is a bit more friendly.

I can't say I speak for Parker or Ron on the issue, so they might very well agree with you-- but in my opinion, unless it goes too far, I think it's a big part of keeping this forum operating on the level we all expect.

I certainly see nothing worng with people asking for sale posters to include a price, after all that rule is in place to protect potential buyers-- I think it's well within the right of potential buyers to ask the rule be followed.

-Vince

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I'm sorry Jason, but I encourage our long-term members to continue to help the Moderators out in this regard as long as they don't become overzealous in their duties or get themselves involved in a pissing match.

Crawdaddy

5. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Thanks for all the feedback. I can see the benefits of having others help out w/ mod responsibilities. I guess I had a "Who the hell are you to tell other members how to post?" kind of attitude.
    Maybe I'm still resentful from the forum areas being hacked up and rearranged. [​IMG]
    -Jasen

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Think of this as being like a farm system, a minor league. I am grateful for the members who are willing to provide gentle guidance to others. "Gentle," though, is the operative word! [​IMG]

7. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    If done nicely (and as stated before, it generally is), it may even be kinder to a newbee than having him get corrected by a moderator. If one does something "very not-done", like treading on the school-seal ([​IMG]), one may actually be grateful one didn't attract the attention of someone of the staff.
    Cees

8. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Not to beat this into the ground, but...

It is also advantageous for the constructive feedback to be within the thread itself vs email since more people will be enlightened as to the proper procedures.

9. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I don't mind admitting that I've 'pointed members to other threads' or things to that effect. If someone (moderator, member, whomever) is making an effort to be helpful and friendly, I don't see why they shouldn't. I've had a few people say "Thanks! There was a lot of info in that thread" and I've never had anyone say "Hey, who asked you?"
    But I don't think I've ever used the phrase "Yo! Go use the search function..." [​IMG]