Melissa Etheridge DVD- Am I really hearing 96khz/24bit?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Fontaine, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

I bought the Melissa Etheridge DVD Set (Live and Alone) and on disk 2, there are 2 tracks in 96/24. In my player's manual it states that if the disk is Copy-Protected it will downsample to 48khz. Playing it I noticed it's clearer than what I'm used to and I hear no difference between the Digital (Toslink) connection and the analog one.

So is this part of the disk NOT Macrovision flagged by any chance?

2. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

I have a DVD-audio player and I can only play it through the analog outs on my player. It is flagged as the higher resolution on my player. If you do not have DVD-audio capability, I don't think you will get the high res playback. Anyone else have any thoughts?

3. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    Many receivers have a display mode, where it will tell you what it is receiving over the digital link. Check your manual.

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

On my Panasonic DVD-R31 it can play 96kHz/24bit tracks at full 96/24 resolution either through its analog outputs OR its digital output. But: if the disc is copy protected the digital output either will shut off or it will downsample to 48/16. The player indicates resolution via its on-screen display.
    Note!: I am not sure if Macrovision affects the digital AUDIO portion of a dvd though.
    LJ