melamine board

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by RonnieT, Jun 16, 2003.

1. RonnieT

RonnieT Stunt Coordinator

I just went to my home depot and a 4x8 sheet of this stuff cost $24.99. Is this what others paid? I found this to be a little expensive compared to other wood that I could be using. Are there any advantages/disadvantages of using melamine over another wood?
    I contacted a lumber yard and asked them if they had melamine and the guy asked me if it was for bathrooms. He told me it was white so I said yes. I hope he was talking about the same thing because they had it for $10.99.
    I was planning on using this stuff for all of my shelving (components,tv,dvd) so I need to find the best deal.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Melamine is just the stuff on the surface so it can come on any type of board. Perhaps the Home Depot stuff was a more dense/durable board compared to the lumberyard's?

Shop around, I've seen precut melamine shelves that might save you some time. (look in the closet organizer section)

Advantages: it's durable, and cleans up nice.

Disadvantages: Hard to cut cleanly. (might chip when sawn)

3. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

I used Melamine to build my equipment rack. Make sure if you wanna use it that you buy a "finishing blade" that has A TON of teeth on it...the more teeth the better, the board won't chip as Dave shared. FYI...

E

4. JustinG

JustinG Stunt Coordinator

yep the showerboard is like your typical hardboard with a white outside layer. $10.99 is typical price.

Melamine might be what you would call laminate for countertops. $24.99 would be a good price for that size.