What's new

Mel Gibson to direct The Wild Bunch remake (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there's any way you could do Blazing Saddles now. It was a (hilarious!) product of its time.

Yeah, I don't think Taggart's description of the 'Number Six' and the 'Number Six Dance' would fly in today's society.

- Walter.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Mel Gibson is a talented director and I'm happy to see him working again. If this film is to be remade, I think that he's a good choice.

Reactions: PMF

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
After I saw the OCEAN'S ELEVEN remake with George Clooney and Brad Pitt, I thought that I would enjoy seeing the two in a western and then I thought of the perfect western remake for them, Robert Aldrich's FOUR FOR TEXAS (1963) with Clooney in the Frank Sinatra role and Pitt in the Dean Martin role. The original was marred by unfortunate difficulties between Aldrich and Sinatra and was never as good as it should have been. It's ripe for a remake, but with the right stars in it. Unfortunately, Clooney and Pitt seemed right for the parts after OCEAN'S ELEVEN, but that was 17 years ago! They're both too old now. Then again, no one wants to remake a film that would, y'know, actually benefit from a remake.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Talented filmmaker but I tend to agree with South Park's view that Mel "likes" torture a little too much.

Well, he thinks it is funny. Mel's not right...we all know it and that's what makes him so cuddly and lovable and you know, perfect to direct Blood Meridian. It would be really cool if "The Wild Bunch" was the working title for Mel and Warner Brothers new film Blood Meridian.

Anybody from Warner reading along here?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
"The Wild Bunch" is just one of those indelible films. So much so, that a remake is altogether beyond our imaginations; especially when this Peckinpah masterpiece has been a constant for...wow...I can't believe it's been nearly 50 years, already. So, let's break this one down a bit.

Well, for starters, Mell Gibson IS a damned great director. Period.
And his "Passion of the Christ" was, in many ways, a remake, which proved to be wildly successful.

As for the successful remakes that came from other directors? Well, you've got "Titanic", which was a remake of "A Night to Remember". And you've got "Franco Zeffirelli's 'Romeo & Juliet' ", which arguably remains the finest version ever put to film.
And then you've got all 3 versions of "A Star is Born"; with another on the way.

Mel Gibson is far too secure within his directing abilities; so we needn't fear his desires of becoming a Sam Peckinpah wanna be.
I believe, if we have any fears, its been based on other projects; such as the remake of "Ben-Hur" and the unknowns ahead.
Those unknowns are "West Side Story", "Mary Poppins Returns" and the upcoming "A Star is Born".

Yup, Mel Gibson must have his reasons for taking on this classic; with a very clear vision in mind.
So, as daunting as it is for us to imagine, I will remain open to this particular project.
No doubts, here, Mel Gibson has certainly grabbed all of our attentions;
which, in and of itself, is also a hallmark of great entertainment.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
"The Wild Bunch" is a masterpiece and in my humble opinion does not need to be remade - spend the money on something "new".

Mel Gibson is a very good actor and director and so if it's being remade I believe that he will do a good job although he is no Peckinpah. What really "worries" me is what Reggie has already pointed out in that this is a story about a bunch of effective but old, experienced men who are past their "use by date". To make this commercially viable are we going to see a forced shift to a "younger group of politically correct, good looking guys"? Love interests? A more sanitized world where black and white are more discernible ? Happier endings ?

Regards,

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
"The Wild Bunch" is a masterpiece and in my humble opinion does not need to be remade - spend the money on something "new".

Mel Gibson is a very good actor and director and so if it's being remade I believe that he will do a good job although he is no Peckinpah. What really "worries" me is what Reggie has already pointed out in that this is a story about a bunch of effective but old, experienced men who are past their "use by date". To make this commercially viable are we going to see a forced shift to a "younger group of politically correct, good looking guys"? Love interests? A more sanitized world where black and white are more discernible ? Happier endings ?

Regards,
Yes, "The Wild Bunch" is a masterpiece, but in my opinion that doesn't necessarily mean it shouldn't be remade. I'm against remakes of masterpieces if they're done like "Psycho" which duplicated the original shot by shot except in color. I'm not against remakes if they're done with a the same basic story line, but with enough effective changes that engages another audience of movie fans. Those of us that can't stand to see this film being remade has the choice of never seeing it. I don't have a problem with remakes as that process as been well established in Hollywood since the silent era. I do have a problem if the artistic choices made by the director of the remake make artistic choices that didn't engage or appeal to me. Case in point, "3:10 to Yuma", I was fine with the remake which had significant changes until the ending sequence. IMO, the director made an error
killing off the protagonist.

mark brown

Supporting Actor
I am not going to lose any sleep over this. There is just no reason to remake Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks