Mel Gibson returning for fourth "Mad Max" film

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael*K, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

2. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Shame so much of the budget is wasted on Gibson (you know what I mean), but paint me excited!

Take care,
    Chuck

3. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Better than the "younger Mad Max" idea they were toying around with before! I just hope they do better than MAD MAX Beyond Thunderdome this time around.

4. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I'm actually looking forward to this...a film with apocalyptic vision like this could resonate in contemporary angst-ridden society.

5. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

6. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Mixed feelings. While I really like Mel's work, I kinda think Mad Max is a franchise that's basically all used up. I'd rater see another Lethal Weapon movie.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

For film titles, how about:
    Angry but Angst Ridden Max
    Medicated Max
    Clinically Depressed Max
    Perturbed Max
    Mo' Money Max
    Fellowship of Max
    Attack of Max
    Payback Max
    The Real Maximus

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Road Warrior was the best of the lot, hopefully #4 will be along the same lines and just as good.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

9. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Mad Max used up, but Lethal Weapon not????
    I like much of Thunderdome, the vision of the film especially. I realize that it plays more cutesy in saving the kids, but I thought the rest of the film was great Max environment and characters.
    No action film has ever been made better and tighter than Road Warrior though.
    Personally, I see plenty of ground to cover with Max, even being older, or perhaps specifically because he is older. Gibson can still play the hard nosed guy as seen in We Were Soldiers, so all this film needs is a solid script it would seem.
    And considering the Road Warrior budget, they could still dump a lot of cash on Mel and produce a similar looking film. [​IMG] Heck, maybe a lower budget would reduce the chances of a bunch of CGI. Bring in the stuntmen and models for this one.

10. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I have such vivd memories of seeing THE ROAD WARRIOR for the first time. I came in just as it started and sat near the front row, wondering why the image was so small for such a large theater (the old UA 150 in downtown Seattle) and then it did that amazing "opening up" and I was blown away!

"And the Road Warrior? He lives now, only in my memory."
    And that's the way they should have ended it for good.

11. Barry Woodward

Barry Woodward Second Unit

According to rumors the title for Mad Max 4 is Fury Road. Apparently Max fights against the world government that started World War III which destroyed civilization and he ventures into high tech cities controlled by The Collective. The Collective was created when all the major oil companies merged with the Illuminati. They stopped producing oil and let the world kill themselves over what was left. That's why oil was so precious in the previous films. Most of the world's population have been tricked or forced into taking The Mark, which is a microchip implanted in the right hand or forehead that tracks people's every move via satillites. The story starts out with Max as the mayor of a small town in Australia and ends with him leading a Rebellion against The Collective. Max even gets an updated version of the Interceptor loaded with weapons. [​IMG]
    I hope these rumors pan out. What do you think?

12. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Normally I'm averse to 'late sequels' but for some reason I have some high hopes for this one! Hope it's overloaded with action.

13. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Awesome! I'm very excited about the potential for this. As other's have stated, I really hope it's more in the neighborhood of Road Warrior than Thunderdome.

14. Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez Second Unit

I remember when Mel Gibson was against the idea of another Mad Max film after Thunderdome was released. He then joked, "What would we call it, Fat Max"?

8^B

15. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

16. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

This is the perfect time for a movie about the results of Government run amok. Minority Report barely scratched the surface.

17. Chris Lynch

Chris Lynch Stunt Coordinator

While I agree that I hope the new Mad Max movie is as good as The Road Warrior, I don't want it to be "like" The Road Warrior. I really LOVE sequels (and I'm not afraid to admit it[​IMG] ), especially when they offer something new to the mythology. And if the synopsis Barry provided is true, this movie will. I'd rather have that than a rehash of a previous movie.
    This sounds fun.

18. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

19. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

BTW, that was supposed to read "much of Thunderdome".
    "Mush" makes it sound a lot less flattering. [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

BTW, the summation sounds like we might see some Robocop-like situations/sequences.

I don't like fighting the whole "world" either, just his small patch is fine for me. I think it would be dumb to think that one man in Australia could affect oil distribution and financial power throughout the world, at least without making this new world way too structured again.

Max ruled because he flourished in chaos. I can see him being mayor in the way that an Old West sheriff could rule a town by force and by thriving in chaos, and I can see him bringing that same chaos to a local corporate center.

But please, no ID4 sort of ending where taking out the "master control system" wipes out everything because it is so tightly structured and interlinked.

Even Luke didn't wipe out the Empire when he hit the Death Star.