Mel Brooks Series - "When Things Were Rotten"

CIULLOCAMNY

Agent
Real Name
CHRIS
It might have been short lived, but WHEN THINGS WERE ROTTEN or Robin Hood and his Merry Men meet Mel Brooks, bears another look. I would like to see this sit-com make an appearance on DVD. Who can forget Dick Gautier's Robin Hood and Maid Marian, Misty Rowe - whoa ! and of Course Dick Van Patten as the always hungry Friar Tuck. Bernie Kopell, Richard Dimitri and even Sid Ceasar round out the cast. These episodes from Mel Brooks' short-lived 1975 television series are good, wacky fun. Brooks and his team present a gag-filled, often hilarious send-up of the Robin Hood legend. Overall, this is fun television -- complete with sight gags, nutty dialogue, over-the-top anachronisms, a silly theme song, and skillful comedic acting. For fans of Brooks, historical parody, and 1970's television, this is highly recommended. There was a VHS tape out some time ago from Paramount and there's been rumors about a DVD release, but it's in its infancy. HOORAY FOR ROBIN HOOD ! I'd be pretty upset if something like THE CHARMINGS or JOANIE LOVES CHACHI beats this one out. Heck, POLICE SQUAD ! was only 6 episodes and that's due out on DVD. Let's go Paramount - RELEASE THE HOUNDS !!!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I watched all of the episodes of "When Things Were Rotten" when the A & E Network reran it back in the 1990s. As when it was on ABC in 1975, the show was so dumb it also got one of the lowest ratings in A & E's history. Not particularly funny and creatively ruined by the censors, such a major disappointment like this from a comic genious like Mel Brooks should have been called "When Sitcoms Were Rotten".

Mel Brooks did redeem himself somewhat with this concept on the big screen in the 90s when he cast comedian Richard Lewis, beautiful Amy Yasbeck as Maid Marian, Cary Elwes (as Robin Hood), and himself (in a cameo as a bearded Hassidic peddler) in "Robin Hood: Men in Tights", and it too flopped.

mannix

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
tim
i remember when things were rotten and I liked it very much its to bad it was
on for a very short time

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I don't recall much detail, but know that I liked this in it's initial run, and would buy it in the unlikely event that it ever gets a dvd release.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Posting on every show thread that comes up about how the show sucks and doesn't deserve a release or for anyone to buy it seems to be okay here. Saying anything disparaging about someone like such a poster is verboten. Interesting set of rules they have here.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Ah, yes, there are many notorious thread crappers on this site. Whatever.

I'd buy WTWR in a second. I can't believe it's never come out; it's one that gets talked about the most. It's probably the #1 short-lived sitcom that people are curious about and really want to see. But for the record, I'd actually by Joanie Loves Chachi and The Charmings. And Hail to the Chief and Quark, too!

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaschoolei