Mei Ah Kurosawa DVDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Swindoll, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

Doe anyone have any of these and can offer opionion on them or point me to a website that reviews them? Are they letterboxed? How are the subtitles (an accurate translation)? Thanks.

I'm interested in them all, but mainly in Throne of Blood, Lower Depths, and Bad Sleep Well.

Cheers.

2. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

Check out the Asian DVD Guide for some user reviews of these discs. Using the left navigation, click on Japanese (for the movie) and Hong Kong (for the DVD manufacturer), or do a search for the movie title.
    I've read before that the transfers and subtitles are bad, but it seems that some discs are better than others.

3. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...one word: A V O I D !
    (signed) One Who Got Stung
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

4. Jeff Swindoll

Hendrik,
    What was the title(s) that "stung" you?

5. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

The Throne Of Blood / Stray Dog / The Bad Sleep Well / One Wonderful Sunday / Drunken Angel / The Lower Depths / Dodes Kaden (the best of the lot - and... it's a flipper!)
    ...of course, they weren't expensive discs, but the 'quality' (artifact-ridden transfers of bad-to-pretty-damn-awful source material, sub-mediocre sound, often nearly illegible subtitles) was... well... not good, not good at all - he said, trying to be as kind as possible...
    ...as always: just MNSHO, of course!
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

6. Jeff Swindoll

Well Hendrik if you didnt like em that much, you could always ship them to me [​IMG]. I decided to try one of them and got The Bad Sleep Well off of Ebay. We'll see what I think when I get it [​IMG]. If anything I'm looking forward to seeing the film being somewhat of a Kurosawa newbie. Hopefully, the subs won't be THAT bad. Cheers.

7. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

DDDHouse has them for about $8 each. They might be worth that price, seeing as some of these may never come over here.

I would guess that any title Criterion released on laserdisc, will eventually be released on DVD. Rashomon and Red Beard have been released this year alone. So you might want to wait on some of them (Bad Sleep Well, Ikiru, Stray Dog, and Throne of Blood).

8. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

The BFI has released "Throne of Blood" and "Stray Dog" in the UK. I don't have them so I cannot comment on quality, but I'd imagine that the BFI would use the best prints & subtitles available.