Mega Man Anniversary Collection: MUST BUY!!!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Morgan Jolley, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I got this last night, and WOW! This is freakin' awesome! 8 games for $30, and most of them are amazing!

When I was little, my cousin had all the MegaMan games, so I would go to his house and play them. Now that I actually know what I'm doing, these games are great! Still a bit of a challenge, too (though you can modify the number of lives you get and the difficulty of the games, and even turn on a mode that helps you play through the game).

I strongly recommend this to anyone.

2. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Yeah, I still haven't picked this one up yet. I made a rule for myself that I woudn't buy any more games until I finished all of the ones that I already owned (for current gen systems anyhow), but this one is tough to wait on. I've actually had some of the MM2 music stuck in my head for the past few days for some reason (flash man I believe), probably from reading the reviews of this game.

Why is it that a retro pack like this is harder to wait on than Pandora Tomorrow? Just kind of strange. Might have to cave in after all...I mean there isn't really anything else coming out this summer that interests me, so it'll just be a momentary lapse...[​IMG]

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Kind of wild this 2D renaissance.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I've got about a dozen games I haven't completed yet....and I just bought MMAC. I'm thinking I can use my spare time in college to play games.

5. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

morgan,
    you obviously didn't get the memo
    you're supposed to slack off and play videogames during college, but you're not supposed to admit it.
    sheesh [​IMG]

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I pre-ordered for the free uber-nerdy Mega man T-shirt. A T-shirt and 8 megaman games for $30? No way I could turn it down. Now to find something to do with my Megaman 2 NES cartridge...

I'm just glad I got my Megaman collection for Gamecube. My PS2 seems to finally have stopped reading any discs. *Sigh* no money to get a new one either. Perhaps I'll tear it apart and attempt to fix it.

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

If the PS2 broke on its own (READ: you didn't use GameShark or third-party devices, or can just lie and say you didn't) Sony will probably fix it for you. Mine did the same thing a long time ago, and it was after warranty, but Sony had me ship it to them, they fixed it, and sent it back.

8. Matty P

Matty P Stunt Coordinator

arrrggghhhh! I was trying to wait and grab the PS2 version due to the remixed audio tracks and controller setup on the cube but I saw both versions for sale (brand new) at my local cd store at lunch...

PS2 - $28.50
    Cube - $16.20

So for anyone who has the Cube version, how tough are the controls to get used to? Thanks in advance!

-Matt

9. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Personally, I hadn't played my 8-bit Megaman titles in a long time. I didn't find it an issue at all. Many people seem to disagree, though. I used the analog stick for control most of the time with no problem. The GC d-pad is too small.

Personally, though, I never liked the Playstation d-pad anyway - too tight, and the recessed setup is not the greatest. The PS2 D-pad is a little looser, but still not great.

I had more irritation because I kept hitting the start button to get to the weapons, and it is on the Z trigger button. This was worse than the jump/attack setup.

The remixed music tracks would be cool, though. Still, I bet the loading times on the GC are better (they generally are a lot better).

10. Matty P

Matty P Stunt Coordinator

yes, I've read the load times are about half on the cube than on the PS2 (5 to 8 seconds compared to 10 to 15)...I've also heard about 80/20 from people saying the controller DID bother them on the cube...decisions decisions

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The loading times on the PS2 are only annoying when first turning the console on, when picking the game you want to play, and then for the auto-save. During the games themselves, there's no loading.

12. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

Personally speaking, I would pick up the PS2 version; it seems the larger D-pad and "remixes" would be worth the extra load seconds. This is what great 8-bit collections should be! I won't go on my "GBA NES classics" tirade again, but needless to say for a mere ten dollars over the above-mentioned games' pricemark of $20 you get not ONE but EIGHT fun AND classic games, with improvements and extras to boot.

~s

13. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I would say that the control issues on the GC come down to just the one main issue that people brought up: the jump and the fire buttons being switched from what they are used to on a NES controller.

If, like me:

you haven't played them in a while,
    &/or
    you didn't worship Megaman enough to play so much that you would remember which button goes where

Then, you won't notice the new button cofiguration. A few people that played a lot are hardwired the other way and kept hitting the wrong buttons in a moment of stress. I know I didn't.

10 minutes of playing and I was comfy with the controls. Most people that weren't MM fanatics back in the day seem to feel the same (I'm also in the DVDtalk thread about this collection [​IMG]).

The remixed music on the PS2 version is neat. Admittedly, I could have used my Retroshock on the PS2 to play, and that would have been cool. But Hori makes a similiar retro NES-style gamecube controller too.

To me, it seems like it comes down to remixed music in game vs loading times. Control I think is a moot point unless you are a hardcore oldschool MM player that is used to it one way or another. Or if you hate the GC controller & analog stick (I am very fond it of for everything except fighting games).

At equal prices, I'd say the PS2 version wins out by a hair (remixed music but dealing with the load times). At $12 difference I would go with the GC version. IMO. The oldschool 8-bit music is cool anyway.

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Actually, there are different extras for the two games, as well. The PS2 version has a whole episode of the MegaMan anime series, while the GameCube version has an interview with one of the creators. There's other subtle diffences, too.

15. Chris Bardon

Well, I played enough Mega Man back in the day to be at least a little "hard wired" to a certain control layout, but then again I've only had a chance to spend about 8 minutes playing around with the collection. I'm sure I'll get used to the new layout (just like all the other counter-intuitive camera controls we've had to deal with over the years).

I hadn't realized that the remixed music was a ps2 exclusive. Well, given that I don't own a Ps2 anyhow, there really wasn't much of a choice as to which version to get.

16. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

The re-mixes on the PS2 version make this a no-brainer for me. If I want to play the original versions of Megaman with the original tunes, I can always um, emulate that experience somehow... uh, with my imagination, I mean... [​IMG]

17. Chris Bardon

Finally got around to starting this one last week. The funny thing is-I don't remember Mega Man being this hard. I finished MM1, and it was just as painful as I remembered, but I found that I was having a hell of a time with MM2. I finished this one a few times back in the day-kind of surprised that I had any problems with it at all. Maybe the recent spate of easy games has taken its toll.

To be fair though, I did find that the analog stick was definitely not the way to go (which is what I was using for most of the first two games). It just didn't seem near responsive enough (which would explain getting my ass kicked on Quick man's stage with the laser beams).

18. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

These are difficult games. I find that the first big boss in MM1 is still kicking my a** all over the room. What a dose of deja vu ...

I really like being able to have my progress saved to the memory card. Perfect for lazy bums like me who don't want to write down grid-passwords. As to the remixed music, it's quite good -- though nothing really beats the original 8-bit tunes.

One of the largest up-sides to this collection is the virtual absense of slow-down. Some of you may not have played the original games in a few years, but they do suffer from an occasional flicker/slowdown problem that interfered with gameplay -- in several instances, it allowed you to dodge bullets and bombs in "slow-motion". [​IMG]

In some instances, I feel like I'm seeing the enemies for the first time. Some of the airborne bombers in particular were a flickery mess in the original games.

All the Mega Men (heh) feel more "solid" and in some cases are slightly more difficult because the bullets and enemies are coming at you full-speed.

Capcom could have just done a straight emulation, but instead they chose to take the high road and package it all pretty-like. Bravo to them.

~s

19. Chris Bardon

I thought they cleaned up the flicker, but it appears not. I haven't noticed any slowdown in the first two games though, but the game still flickers in the same places as before (like near the chain spikes in Metal Man's stage). I'll have to do a side-by-side with the MM2 cart to be sure though.

Just started 3 last night, and it's a cakewalk compared to 2 (at least the regular boss stages). I remembered 1 as being tricky (especially without the pause trick of the original), but 2 is still pretty tough.

20. Chris Bardon

BTW, for those that were curious, the official burnout on Mega Man games in a short period of time is five. So far I've beaten MM 1-5, and I just couldn't go through another one right now. Definitely a good disc to pop in between other games, but a difficult one to play all the way through in a single stretch.

Fable comes out in a week though!