Mega CD help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrettB, Dec 10, 2001.

1. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Just got the Sony 335 over the weekend and need to start loading it. As far as I can tell the labeling for discs is limited to 13 characters. I guess I'm wondering if anyone has come up with an inventive labeling technique that they're satisfied with.

Should I assign every disc to a group.

As far as labeling, probably artist & CD title using initials and abbreviations?

Does it not matter where the disc physically is, so long as it's assigned to a group?

Just wondering if anyone has some useful hints/warnings.

Thanks

2. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

I burned copies of my entire collection and added the CDText to the copies. I couldn't stand doing it by hand. Groups are a great way to segregate genres, and can be used with shuffle play. I love my Sony, and would never be without a Mega changer again. Now I'm thinking of a DVD Mega changer, as the Kenwood looks pretyy impressive.

Pete

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brett, I have two Sony CDP-CX333ES 300-disc megachangers daisy-chained and have come up with ways to abbreviate the artist name and album title. Note that with Sony megachangers, an entered title is assigned to a slot and does not move with the disc. Since all the discs in my megachangers are rock and pop, I don't have them assigned to groups. Like Pete, I am moving towards copying the CDs onto CD-Rs with CD-TEXT encoded. I have a few reasons for doing this, including:
    1) Having the names of songs, not just discs. The Sony megachangers allow you to enter disc titles, not track titles. Even if I could enter track titles via a keyboard, I would never bother. That's too much work. If I ever wanted to move discs around, I'd have to enter everything over again. Having CD-Rs with CD-TEXT makes things easy. I like having the song titles displayed because invariably, when I am running the two players in shuffle mode, a song comes up that I don't know. With the song title appearing on the player, I don't have to grab the jewel case to see what is playing.
    2) Having copies of CDs for the car. I don't like taking my store-bought CDs in the car for a variety of reasons. I'd much rather take CD-Rs, so having them in the megachangers serves a dual pupose.
    3) Having my store-bought CDs readily available for critical listening. I have better players for critical listening, including some in another room, and find it a pain to fetch CDs from the megachangers for use in those players. With CD-Rs in the megachangers, I'll have the store-bought CDs in the jewel cases, which is easier to deal with. Yes, I am a creature of comfort. [​IMG]