What's new

Meet the New iMac (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Sweet! :D
New iMac
Have seen reports that it will run on a 1GHz G3. Not as exciting as a G4, but a big step up from the current model.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Apple thinks "revolutionary" refers to looks and not the technology. They're the Bang & Olaffuson (sp?) of the computer industry.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
To continue with Camp's observation, I noticed that the article didn't say anything about technical specs; I suppose they're more concerned with "violat(ing) the sacred plane of the monitor." :rolleyes

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
To continue with Camp's observation, I noticed that the article didn't say anything about technical specs; I suppose they're more concerned with "violat(ing) the sacred plane of the monitor.
They mentioned that at least the $1800 model features a 15" LCD, Pioneer DVD-R, and a G4. Not worth mentioning guaranteed specs are Airport, Firewire, and USB. Possible additions could be 1394b aka Firewire II, USB 2, 802.11a, etc. I don't look to Time, Businessweek, and the like for detailed analysis of anything be it politics, finance, or computing so their lack of info is not a surprise. Just like the Segway intro all they wanted was a pic. All specs will be published tomorrow right down to energy use and shipping weight.

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
I saw the timecanada report right before I went to bed last night before it got pulled. I'm reserving judgement for the moment - I'm an avowed mac head and use OS X on my home machine, but I want to see specs and more pics of the new iMac before I really make up my mind what I think.

The keynote is going on right now, though...if only the clunker of a machine I have to use here at work could handle the quicktime stream...(sigh).

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Woody, I got the QT stream video perfectly, but no sound. Very disappointing.

As for the design, it looks cool, but as long as the market position for Mac/Apple is like it is, I won't buy one.

/Mike

Matthew_S

Second Unit
Hey MickeS,

Do you think you could keep some of us who can't get the stream updated? I'm dying to know what's going on....

thanks.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Matthew, since I couldn't get audio I stopped watching after a few minutes. All I saw was George Lucas talking to the audience on a video screen.

/Mike

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
MacWorld keynote highlights, courtesy of MacMinute:
  • Steve Jobs has taken the stage. [09:05 PT]
  • Jobs will be offering an update on the quarter's highlights (iPod), Mac OS X, iBook, and iMac. [09:06 PT]
  • Apple sold 125,000 iPods in the first 60 days. [09:07 PT]
  • Apple retail update: 27 retail stores now open, "more in 2002." 40% of Mac buyers at retail stores have never owned a Mac before. 800,000 visitors to Apple's 27 retail stores in the month of Dec. [09:08 PT]
  • Every 7th and 8th grade student in the state of Maine will be receiving an iBook; the largest education order in history: 36,000 iBooks. [09:10 PT]
  • Mac OS X update: 500 applications in April of 2001; 2,500 applications today. Jobs commends Microsoft for Office v.X. [09:14 PT]
  • Shantanu Narayen of Adobe takes the stage to discuss Adobe's Mac OS X plans. Acrobat Reader, Illustrator, AfterEffects 5.5, have already shipped. InDesign 2.0 will ship very soon. Russell Brown takes the stage to demonstrate Adobe software under Mac OS X. Recaps today's GoLive 6.0 and LiveMotion 2.0 announcements (both are Mac OS X native). Photoshop 7.0 demonstrated (no release date announced). [09:15-09:21 PT]
  • Todd Bradley, CEO of Palm, takes the stage to discuss and demonstrate Palm's Mac OS X plans. [09:22-09:25 PT]
  • Final Cut Pro 3 discussed and demonstrated. [09:26-09:30 PT]
  • Theodore Gary takes the stage to discuss Mathetmatica for Mac OS X. [09:30-09:35 PT]
  • Mike Rogers, president of Aspyr, takes the stage to discuss Aspyr's 2002 plans. Harry Potter demonstrated (shipping in a couple weeks). The Sims: Hot Date and Star Wars: Galatica Battlegrounds (a real-time strategy game based on the Age of Empires engine) will also be arriving on the Mac during the first half of this year. [09:36-09:40 PT]
  • Dan Gregoire of Lucasflim takes the stage to discuss his company's use of Macs. George Lucas video presented to the crowd; Lucas re-introduces Gregoire. Demonstrates and explains the importance of Maya on Mac OS X. [09:40-09:44 PT]
  • Jobs announces that all new Macs will boot up into Mac OS X by default starting today, as we reported earlier. Mac OS 9 will also be included, of course. [09:45 PT]
  • Jobs recaps digital hub/lifestyle strategy. iTunes, iMovie, iDVD demonstrated. Apple has sold more than 1 million blank DVD-R discs. iPod/iTunes integration demo doesn't work ("Anyway, you know what it's supposed to do.") [09:45-09:57 PT]
  • Six million digital cameras sold in the U.S. in 2001 (30% of total camera sales in U.S.). [09:57 PT]
  • Jobs announces iPhoto. "It's killer." With one button, the software imports, catalogs, displays, and creates thumbnails of images. Basic editing tools included; streamlined printing interface for creating excellent prints. ColorSync support. "It's really about save, organize, and share." iPhoto demonstrated. "Unfortunatey, I don't have Photoshop running on OS X yet," Jobs says, demonstrating the editing capabilities. Laughter from the crowd. iPhoto integrates with Apple's HomePage iTool for creating online photo galleries with one button. Users can order Kodak prints of digital images through iPhoto. "I've saved the best for last... what I really want, is a hardbound book of my photos. We're going to let you have that." iPhoto will allow users to order a hardbound book of their images as they desire using a page layout program that's built-in to iPhoto. iPhoto is Mac OS X-only; free download available today. "Baby Gap" iPhoto television ad played to audience. [09:58-10:23 PT]
  • Jobs recaps iBook success and praise. Three models of iBook; lowers low-end iBook price to US$1,199 ($100 drop). Combo-drive (DVD/CD-RW) model reduced to US$1,499 (DVD model eliminated). High-end 14-inch iBook announced; 600MHz G3, 256MB RAM, 20GB HD; same thickness as 12-inch iBook; under 6 pounds: $1,799. [10:25-10:26 PT]
  • Apple has reduced the cost of DVD-R media to $5 a disc ($25 for a 5-pack); a $1 reduction. [10:25 PT]
  • Jobs moves on to iMac; plays various iMac ads to demonstrate how the product has evolved. Six million iMacs sold, "Thank you to those customers." Brand new iMac introduced; re-designed from the ground-up. Fifteen-inch LCD screen (1024x768), "I think this is the official death of the CRT today," says Jobs. All new iMacs have PowerPC G4 chips at 700MHz or 800MHz; SuperDrive included on some models; nVIDIA GeForce2 MX on all iMacs; standard ports; two high-end models include Pro Speakers. Screen can pan, tilt, and move forwards and backwards; disk drive slot in front, connectors in back. Round iMac base is 10.5-inches in diameter; add RAM and AirPort through the bottom. [10:27-10:41 PT]
  • Three iMac models:
  • -- 700MHz G4, 128MB RAM, 40GB hard drive, CD-RW - $1,299 (available in March)
  • -- 700MHz G4, 256MB RAM, 40GB hard drive, DVD/CD-RW - $1,499 (available in February)
  • -- 800MHz G4, 256MB RAM, 60GB hard drive, SuperDrive - $1,799 (available in January)
  • Genentech, whose CEO is on Apple's board of directors, has placed an order for 1,000 new iMacs. [10:46 PT]
  • New iMac video demonstrated. [10:47-10:53 PT]
  • Jobs closes keynote by recapping Apple's strategy and recent product releases. (Keynote ends.) [10:55-10:58 PT]
Interesting...no speedbumps for the towers. That's a bummer - makes me wonder how much flak they might catch for that, considering the top of the line iMac is now within just a few MhZ of the tower G4s.
(edit: Matthew...:)...I was finishing this up when you posted the link to MacMinute...lol)

Mike Sogge

Stunt Coordinator
As for the design, it looks cool, but as long as the market position for Mac/Apple is like it is, I won't buy one.
What is your reasoning behind that? If people would get past their stupid thinking like this, then Apple WILL get the market position YOU want.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
The G4 towers are in limbo, most likely because of the G5.

Here's my take:

Apple is concerned that the G4 is not ramping up in their time schedules. Right now, Motorola has G4 7450's shipping at 1 ghz and 1.2 ghz. But with the G5 just looming on the horizon, Apple is having to make a decision, since the Towers are all about speed and performance, as opposed to the laptops and iMac.

If they are currently working on a G5 version of OSX (64-bit), then they may be holding off to combine that with the G5 release date, much to motorola's chagrine.

I can see SJ announcing the G5 tower, at 1.6 or 2 ghz, and then adding a low -end G4 at 1.2 Ghz.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Let's not start an OS war here...

The Mac is a niche machine compared to the PC. That's just the way it is.

I'm not knocking it technically, nor the design of the hardware, but virtually all corporations out there use PC's. The games are for PC's. Etc.

I don't want to speak for Micke but for myself, I admire Apples design department very much, but have no intention of even considering buying a Mac until such time that die-hard Mac lovers have managed to bring it up to near-parity with PC's in the areas I care about. I'm not holding my breath at this point.

Again... for some people Macs are great. Me, I'll stick to the PC at least for now.

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
Let's not start an (auto) war here...
The (Ferarri/Rolls-Royce/etc.) is a niche machine compared to the (Honda/VW/Geo/etc.). That's just the way it is.
I'm not knocking it technically, nor the design of the (car), but virtually all (families) out there (drive) (Hondas/VWs/Geos/etc.). The (corner garages) are for (Hondas/VWs/Geos/etc.). Etc.
I don't want to speak for (anyone) but for myself, I admire (Ferarris/Rolls-Royces/etc.) design department very much, but have no intention of even considering buying a (Ferarri/Rolls-Royce/etc.) until such time that die-hard (Ferarri/Rolls-Royce/etc.)lovers have managed to bring it up to near-parity with (Hondas/VWs/Geos/etc.) in the areas I care about. I'm not holding my breath at this point.
Again... for some people (Ferarris/Rolls-Royces/etc.) are great. Me, I'll stick to the (Honda/VW/Geo/etc.) at least for now.
:D
(Not entirely serious...but not entirely tongue-in-cheek, either.)

Mike Sogge

Stunt Coordinator
I don't want to speak for Micke but for myself, I admire Apples design department very much, but have no intention of even considering buying a Mac until such time that die-hard Mac lovers have managed to bring it up to near-parity with PC's in the areas I care about. I'm not holding my breath at this point.
So what are the areas that you care about? The Mac may surprise you in what it can do that you don't think it can.

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator
I've been a long-time Windows users. I have used almost every iterations of Windows since version 1.0.

In late 2001, I switched to Mac OS X, courtesy of Titanium PowerBook.

True, software is the king and OS X cannot (yet) match what Windows has to offer. However, with very few exceptions (e.g., Real Player, Yahoo! Messenger), nearly everything I need is available for OS X. Not bad for a 9-month old OS. Add many UNIX applications that have been ported to OS X (most of which are free or almost free), I think I am witnessing an arrival of a winner.

As for the new iMac, I didn't really like it at first, but after looking at the video clips, I want one badly. NOW.

Chris Wittry

Stunt Coordinator
Let's not start an (auto) war here...
The (Ferarri/Rolls-Royce/etc.) is a niche machine compared to the (Honda/VW/Geo/etc.). That's just the way it is.
I'm not knocking it technically, nor the design of the (car), but virtually all (families) out there (drive) (Hondas/VWs/Geos/etc.). The (corner garages) are for (Hondas/VWs/Geos/etc.). Etc.
I don't want to speak for (anyone) but for myself, I admire (Ferarris/Rolls-Royces/etc.) design department very much, but have no intention of even considering buying a (Ferarri/Rolls-Royce/etc.) until such time that die-hard (Ferarri/Rolls-Royce/etc.)lovers have managed to bring it up to near-parity with (Hondas/VWs/Geos/etc.) in the areas I care about. I'm not holding my breath at this point.
Again... for some people (Ferarris/Rolls-Royces/etc.) are great. Me, I'll stick to the (Honda/VW/Geo/etc.) at least for now.
By this reasoning, I'd buy an Apple computer if I:
A. Want everyone to notice me
B. Want something that looks great, but costs buttloads in repair and maintenance costs
C. Only need a machine that can speed through simple tasks, not something that will plow through the work
and I'd buy an IBM-Compatible PC if I:
A. Don't care about asthetics
B. Want to be able to walk over to my corner drugstore to pick up upgrades (slight exaggeration, but we're getting there)
C. Want a machine that may not be as speedy on the flats, but that can bust up the rough terrain
:D

MathewM

Stunt Coordinator
It all depends on what you want to do. Me, I have a background in photo, video production and wanted something that WORKED straight out of the box . Complimented with fine looks the mac fits my needs. I too just recently switched over after years of pulling my hair out with Windows. Sure if you just play games, surf the net etc. or do just one thing with your computer (most buisiness' use just one program) a windows pc is fine and some respects less expensive.

My dad just recently upgraded his pc to xp. To start off we couldn't get his dsl internet connection to work (my powerbook connected almost effort free, wirelessly to a linksys, pc only router). Luckily my uncle who is a networking guru was over for christmas and after much hassle got it working. His usb mouse only works every once in awhile. I think the problems are only beginning. Sure the mac isn't perfect. OS 10 is still a little sloggy and internet browsing is not nearly as fast but like I said, it just works. Usually if there is a problem it can be solved online through any number of mac related sites. My dad has to take his pc to the doctor's office every 2 months. I have yet to call tech support.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
By this reasoning, I'd buy an Apple computer if I:

A. Want everyone to notice me

B. Want something that looks great, but costs buttloads in repair and maintenance costs

C. Only need a machine that can speed through simple tasks, not something that will plow through the work
A)Yeah I get compliments on the LCD display, but it's a plus to me that it looks good and was the best display/cost at the time I bought it.

B)Repair Costs on all my Macs(Dual 500 G4, PBG3, 8600, 6116, Orig Mac) , Apple IIGS, and accessories QT 200 Camera, iPod, Color Stylewriter 2500, Imagewriter, Apple Studio Display 17", AppleVision 750AV, Multiscan 15", and other monitors are as follows:

1 Fan Assembly for 8600 - $23 (I had removed the orig for a quad array on the floor and accidentally broke the clip.)

1 Floppy Bezel - $7 (approx) (I hacked the other with a saw to create a custom bezel for the zip in the top floppy slot with a rounded edge when eliminating the floppy drive.)

Total - $30 (All of which due to my own modifications of the originals)

C) I can plow through tasks with OS X faster than before. Applescript Studio is an added bonus from the December Developer Tools. Automation is a dream.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks