What's new

Meet The Feebles (1989) needs a Blu-ray now more than ever (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Before there was Avenue Q and Happytime Murders, and more than a decade before Peter Jackson made Lord of the Rings, he made Meet the Feebles. The DVDs are better than nothing, but since they are taken from the same masters as VHS, they barely cut it in 2018. Only trouble is, no one seems to want to pony up the dough to do it right. I heard Anchor Bay tried to get the rights years ago, but it fell through. Who owns it now?

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Shout Factory could possibly release this quirky gem. Didn't Jim Henson try to sue Peter Jackson for this film when it originally was released as it's as it is a pretty obvious rip-off of The Muppets?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I heard rumors about that but found no corroborating evidence. Based on the time frame, I'm sure he would have been more concerned about the impending Disney deal that only went sour after his death. Numerous people tried to capitalize on the success of Sesame Street and The Muppet Show, but most of those were going after children while ignoring adults.

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I heard rumors about that but found no corroborating evidence. Based on the time frame, I'm sure he would have been more concerned about the impending Disney deal that only went sour after his death. Numerous people tried to capitalize on the success of Sesame Street and The Muppet Show, but most of those were going after children while ignoring adults.

I looked around, but couldn't find anything either, if his company did sue, it must of not been publicly known. Speaking of The Muppets, The Happytime Murders opening this weekend, was directed by Jim's son Brian Henson.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Peter Jackson has control of his early films and years ago (when doing press for The Lovely Bones) said he was working on restoring/remastering them for Blu-ray. Then word was he was going to do them after he finished with The Hobbit movies. And yet we still continue to wait.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I looked around, but couldn't find anything either, if his company did sue, it must of not been publicly known. Speaking of The Muppets, The Happytime Murders opening this weekend, was directed by Jim's son Brian Henson.

Indeed, and it's getting creamed by critics quick to point out that Brian Henson is only going this route (using puppets as a vehicle for R- or X-rated humor) after others already did.

Jim Henson never wanted to exclude adults from his audience. Look at the old Wilkins Coffee ads and experimental films such as Timepiece; audiences then had no idea that the same man behind these would become the man famous for playing Ernie and Kermit the Frog. This article puts it in perspective; he cared about the reputation of his creations, but he could take a joke. Not everyone is like that. Harlan Ellison found out the hard way during his short-lived stint at Disney.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Indeed, and it's getting creamed by critics quick to point out that Brian Henson is only going this route (using puppets as a vehicle for R- or X-rated humor) after others already did.

Jim Henson never wanted to exclude adults from his audience. Look at the old Wilkins Coffee ads and experimental films such as Timepiece; audiences then had no idea that the same man behind these would become the man famous for playing Ernie and Kermit the Frog. This article puts it in perspective; he cared about the reputation of his creations, but he could take a joke. Not everyone is like that. Harlan Ellison found out the hard way during his short-lived stint at Disney.
Not to mention the 1st 16 episodes of SNL ...
latest[1].png

Last edited:

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Perfect fit for Shout Factory and so much better than a lot of the grade Z horror that gets the unwarranted Blu-ray treatment.

Real Name
Paul Thrussell
From what I understand, the transfer and cleanup work has already been done. There are some very nice HD clips from the film in one of the LotR extended edition Blu-ray featurettes (couldn't tell you which one specifically off the top of my head as I'm not really a big fan of modern CGI Hollywood blockbusters.) Supposedly Jackson is insistant on doing up some extensive supplemental material before releasing his older titles, but he's also in no hurry to do so. It seems too that he might be a bit embarrassed of Feebles as he's made a number of cracks about it, and so he's quite possibly not in any hurry to get it out the door.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I think this film would be a very hard sell today. The whole thing with the puppet dying of AIDS wouldn't fly at all. Audiences have gotten a lot more conservative when it comes to inappropriate humor like that.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The article is wrong about there being no HD version of Heavenly Creatures. I should know; I reviewed it when it came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks