What's new

Meet my new babies: The Sun Ones! (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I did a nearfield measurement around my "problematic" 200-400Hz range, and the dip was not there when measuring about 6" away in between the 2 woofers.
So, I used my old speakers, laid them on their sides, and now I'm using them as my speaker stands that are around 18" high (my normal stands were around 7" high). The dip around 320Hz is less prominent now. Here's the revised frequency graphs.
1m on axis
3m on axis
The rise in frequency response starting around 4-5KHz actually tracks with Morel's published spec .
The rest of my graphed response past 10KHz is pretty much poo-poo due to the limitations of my Radio Shack SPL meter.
With the 0.5 woofer being crossed over at 500Hz, you do see a slight contribution from 600-2000Hz on the graphs.
----
(I didn't have a chance to graph this last night):
In order to try to raise the 2KHz-4KHz output, I changed my tweeter crossover to a 2nd order butterworth, and increased the l-pad to -5dB (from -3.1dB), and lowered the 0.5 woofer crossover by dropping in a 5mH inductor (xo frequency 125Hz), and I noticed the response from 200-2000Hz was lowered by 1dB across the board, but my high end 4KHz and up got brighter by 2dB (probably had a lot to do with the lower ordered crossover).
So, I'll be going back to my original 3rd order tweeter crossover, and leaving in the -5dB L-pad, but I may leave the 5mH inductor for the 0.5 woofer for now (but I kinda liked the bass boost).
------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I think I'm really close to a final crossover (xo) design. I spent a lot of time last night tweaking and listening. Here are the graphs:
s1-3mstat2.jpg

------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks