What's new

Meet My Folks (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Bizarre show, sort of based a bit on "Meet The Parents" movie (especially the lie detector portion at the end). If I were the parents, I would have given all three guys the boot. Very strange "game show" where the parents grill prospective suitors for their daughters with the prize being a trip to Hawaii with the daughter and the suitor of their choice.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
This is a very strange show.

The lie detector was kind of stupid.

The father needs to be more realistic especially when he asked the question about would you honor his request not to sleep with his daughter while in Hawaii. Give me a break budding and think back to when you were in your twenties. I bet if he were honest with himself he would remember that he probably would have made a move if he were in a similar situation.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Excruciating to watch, in the sense that I almost was empathetic for the 3 guys as their ex-girlfriends showed up, along with videotapes revealing secrets. Revelations of cheating (sometimes multiple times, affairs with the girlfriends mom, and a proclivity for spanking), all in front of the parents, not to mention your prospective girlfriend....OUCH!

And, while I was sympathetic for the guys, I cannot believe the father 'gave' his daughter to the winner. Almost sacrificial, considering the past of this dude. Complete player, like all of them are.

So, throughout the show, when the pops was exclaiming that he'd like to kick them all off and replace them with 3 new guys, it was indeed bizarre to see the father weep and happily serve his daughter up to a guy he did not like.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Maybe there was a rule that one had to be selected because it seemed like if the option to not select one was available, the father would have done so.
The point about the lie detectors is not about what the suitor would/would not do, but whether he is truthful about his intentions. Who would you trust more, someone who lies about his intentions or someone who is truthful? :)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Gordon I still stand by the position that the questions were simply stupid. Who the hell is going to tell the truth to the question that I mentioned

Paraphrasing:

Father: "If I ask you not to sleep with my daughter will you honor my request?"

Guy: "No, I'm going to throw her down and rattle her bones the first chance I get!"

Father: "Honey get the twelve gauge and some extra shells!"

GordonL

Supporting Actor
First, the only valid answers on a lie detector test is yes or no. Second, a lie detector test can be used to assess to what degree you can trust someone. So it doesn't matter what the questions are, it only matters whether the person answered truthfully or not and that speaks loads about ones' character. If the guy answers "no", the father would think, ok at least the guy is honest, I trust him, honey go get the shotgun. If the guy answers "yes", the father thinks, that is a lie, I cannot trust anything he says, honey go get the shotgun. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Some details on this show: The daughter doesn't have to take the trip to Hawaii with the guy that's the 'winner'. So it's possible to win at the show, the trip, and not come away with a bride.

Also, the house was a rental, not the Blankenship's real home. Did anyone notice how many fax machines where in the house?

I read these 2 tidbits on msn.com's entertainment section.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Gordon I'm aware that the only valid answers are Yes and No but what you don't seem to get is that the question is stupid because 99.9% of guys are of course going to lie on the question that I mentioned.

After all he has only know that parents for a few days so of course he is going to act like the perfect gentleman. In the real world most guys would lie even if they have know the parents for some time.

That is why the question was so stupid in the first place.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Let's say 100% of all guys will say "yes" for the reason you stated - to be a gentleman. x% will be lying (let's just say the majority, I think 99.9% might be on the high side) and y% will be telling the truth. The question is valid to find out who is in that y%, is it not?

Chris Lock

Second Unit
What guy would put himself thru that crap? Is it always going to be a group of men competing for one woman, or will they do episodes where it's reversed? Have the men even met or seen the woman before they show up at the house (i.e. do we even know they're all interested in her)?
If I had an adult daughter, I wouldn't want her dating anyone who'd humiliate himself on a show like this. :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The inevitable twist is to have the tables reversed, have a guy being courted by 3 girls.

They must screen for guys with weird pasts, otherwise the show becomes really bland in the second half of each show.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
The girl on tonight's show (7/24) was very, very cute. I'm not sure if the father chose the eventual winner for the benefit of his daughter or for himself. The father obviously liked him more than the daughter did, as the daughter expressed that she could only see them as friends.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
It wasnt too bad of a show.. i normally hate reality shows... This one kept my attention...
I agree, its gotta be brutal for these guys... And i think the lie detector test was BS. Especially the question 'Will you try to sleep with my daughter'... The guy could genuinely say he will not try to, but the mere thought of getting some would raise any 20 year-olds blood pressure and perspiration... :D

GordonL

Supporting Actor
So the best answer to that question has got to be "yes" because the increase in heart rate and perspiration would make that answer seem like a lie? :D

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
:laugh: That would work, but you'd also need to consider the "Honey-get-my-shotgun" factor

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
Patrick,

Yes, I actually noticed that in the end credits, it states that the winners are offered separate trips, and that all filming locations are porvided by the producers. I thought the houses were a little too nice, especially for the gym teacher.

Marc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks