What's new

Meet Me In St. Louis / Easter Parade - Judy Garland? (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Its sad about musicals on dVD. there were tons of them on laser. Almost all of the Doris Days were on laser. An insider at Warners told me that no more are planned for DVD because she doesn't sell.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Bummer!

I'm a Dorris Day fan...I can't survive without my "Que Serra Serra" on DVD!

Guess I'll have to start surfing ebay for some lasers...

dave ;)

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Almost all of the Doris Days were on laser. An insider at Warners told me that no more are planned for DVD because she doesn't sell.
Does that mean they'll never come to DVD? No. I'm sure that WB will start working on DVDs of those (and other Warner musicals) if they find that the MGM ones they're releasing sell well.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The only flaw I noticed with the new SITR is the weird color shifts around Gene Kelly's ears...the color from his ears momentarily pops past his face...and no this isn't a registration problem...I know it happens during the last scene when Debbie Reynolds is coming back up on the stage with him after running off...it happens once or twice more in other scenes.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Speaking of Doris Day,
i enjoy her two "MEET ME IN ST LOUIS-esque" (new word)
films ON MOONLIGHT BAY and
BY THE LIGHT OF THE SILVERY MOON.
I will probably be hanging on to my old vhs
tapes of those two for a long time.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
ON MOONLIGHT BAY and
BY THE LIGHT OF THE SILVERY MOON
Agreed. Two of my favs.

A lost "Judy" gem that's another Meet-Me-In-St-Lousesque fils "in the good ole' summertime". We gotta get these on DVD!!!!

-dave

p.s. totally different genre...but anyone else as in love with Olvia Dehavolin's 1946 "To Each is Own"? My all-time fave classic BW films...I gotta keep the tissues at the ready...I can start crying just TALKING about this movie. Worse than Charlotte's Web! ;)

-dave

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
The current DVD of Singin' seems to me to have better flesh tones then the previous vesions and not the "lobster" look of many Technicolor films of the era.

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
For everyone (like me) who is waiting for these great Judy flicks to be released on DVD:

Turner Classic Movies is showing Easter Parade this weekend -- Saturday (8:00 pm Eastern/5:00 pm Pacific) & Sunday (10:00 am EDT/7:00 am PDT).

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Hey, DAVID BOULET,

I just watched the great TO EACH HIS OWN tonight on TCM.
I understand that the original elements for it
no longer exist. dont know for sure, though.

Wonderful film

and :emoji_thumbsup: to IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME, too.

Ben_D

Agent
I have reasonable confidence that Warner will eventually release MMiSL and Easter Parade, given their popularity (although I'm getting impatient for them)...I'm more concerned that my other favorite Garland movie, THE CLOCK, will never be released. It's black-and-white and it's not a musical, so it usually flies under the radar...but it's a beautiful film.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I believe "A Star Is Born" was restored in the higher resolution film domain rather then digitally.

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Judy Garland has certainly had a raw deal with DVD releases. So has Fred Astaire probably right up there with Judy as one of the most talented of all musical stars. Bing Crosby, Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra are all pretty well represented among the all-round entertainers. But apart from a pitifully few titles Astaire and Garland have been neglected. Who at Warners decides what classics to release and don't they like Fred and Judy ?

Classic Films On DVD

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The current DVD of Singin' seems to me to have better flesh tones then the previous vesions and not the "lobster" look of many Technicolor films of the era.
The color schemes of the previous DVD and last two laserdisc releases were fairly subdued. Prior to that things were off kilter. I'm pretty sure I don't need a large front projection system to notice that one. :)

Regards,

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I believe the only film Astaire made for Warner Bros. was "Finian's Rainbow" rumored to come out in the fall.

Some of the MGM titles have been released "Silk Stockings" next week.

The Films with Ginger Rodgers where owned by RKO and needed restoration (I believe "Swing Time" and "Top Hat") were being worked on. But, Didn't Astaire's widow give the studio a hard time clearing DVD rights to the non-Warner owned films?

Warners only Judy Garland films "A Star is Born" and the animated "Gay-Purree" have been released. The MGM film "Havrey Girls" has been released and of course "Wizard of OZ", so have the television shows.

Aren't "Easter Parade" and "MMISL" also being restored?

David Krauss

Auditioning
I agree whole-heartedly about THE CLOCK -- a really simple story, yet beautifully acted and directed. Judy is just radiant in it. Too bad she didn't do more straight dramas.

THE CLOCK would make a wonderful DVD release. I, too, hope that Warners will think seriously about releasing it.

Derek_McL

Second Unit
All the Astaire MGM and RKO films are now owned by Warners. Of these only Broadway Melody of 1940 and Silk Stockings are coming out soon. Royal Wedding is in the public domain. No official release date for Astaire-Rodgers. Universal has released or is going to release the two films he made for Paramount in the 40s with Bing Crosby : Holiday Inn and Blue Skies. The situation for Garland is even worse with just two of her many MGM films released.

Classic Films on DVD

DeeF

Screenwriter
Vincente Minnelli is pitifully underrepresented on DVD. I count only 5 of his movies currently available (I could be wrong, feel free to fill me in):

An American in Paris
Brigadoon
Designing Woman
Gigi
The Bad and the Beautiful

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Two more Minnelli films are to be released next month by Warner Brothers:

FATHER OF THE BRIDE and THE COURTSHIP OF EDDIE'S FATHER

DeeF

Screenwriter
Why is Royal Wedding in the public domain? Who owns the negative? This movie is terrific, one of Stanley Donen's funniest, and Fred Astaire dancing on the ceiling, etc. It needs to be restored and released, obviously, but if it's in the public domain, it'll probably never happen the way it ought to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks