What's new

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
The tides seem against me making it to the Museum of Modern Art by August 1st.

"Now was that left or right when I get to Cape Horn?"

row.jpg

I hope it turns out to be a great day for all those lucky enough to attend.

(And no, that's an underpaid actor trying to portray me, but he's failed miserably in getting that masculine, handsome, distinguished look of mine - and I never wear a hat!) :P

Doug.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Alas and alack, I will not make it myself. But have a great show!

I put in my preorder already for Dragonfly Squadron already. I will be pre-ordering The Bubble when available. Glad to hear there's more to the Rarities disc. That's the one I'm most looking forward to. :)

BTW, you do understand I am required to ask if ARENA could be one of those MOMA showings? You could show it in a double with Kiss Me Kate and advertise it as the MGM 50s 3D films. :D In all fairness, it is the only one of the fifties 3D films shown in the last ten or so years that I've NOT seen in 3D. I managed to scope out Cat Women of the Moon and Hannah Lee in Field Sequential and the other 40 I've seen in the theaters between the 06 and 13 Expos, The Lafayette, and the Film Forum. So yeah, it would be a burn to never get to see it in 3D. :( Of course, I'd also be amused if you showed El Corazan Y La Espada (a title I just love saying, much like the Spanish title for THE MONSTER AND THE APE--El Monstro Y El Simio!)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I'm sorry you can't make it, Todd. Hopefully next time!

The only 3-D titles that MOMA can run have to be on DCP so I don't think ARENA is a possibility. I'm sorry about that.

Thanks for the pre-order on DRAGONFLY. With all the work Greg has done on it since the premiere, it'll be like seeing it for the first time.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Technically, there was a second 3-D release from 20th Century Fox: GORILLA AT LARGE in 1954. However, it was independently produced for Fox by Panoramic Productions. INFERNO was a Fox studio production.

Attachments

• inferno-poster(1).gif
    inferno-poster(1).gif
    328.6 KB · Views: 85

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Bob Furmanek said:
Contact Twilight Time and ask them to license the Dan Symmes/3-D Film Archive restored HD masters of INFERNO from 20th Century Fox for release on 3-D Blu-ray in Region 1/North America.
Bob, can you tell us if the UK version is region locked?

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Bob Furmanek said:
Yes it is, due to a contractual requirement from Fox.
Thanks. Ordered it anyway! Wanted to order one for my brother too, as a birthday present, but will have to wait and see if Twilight Time will author a Region A version I can give him for a future occasion.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Bob Furmanek said:
Thanks, Josh. I'm sorry that you can't make it.

There's a VERY good possibility we will be doing some more 3-D events with MOMA in the fall...
I caught the Saturday showing, Bob. The theater was packed and everyone seemed to have a good time -- especially with the scene of the hospital utensils being thrust at the screen. :D

Certainly looking forward to a DRAGONFLY SQUADRON MoMA showing -- and any others!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
That's wonderful, glad to hear it!

Our next event will be in the fall. I'll be sure to post something as soon as the date is confirmed.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
How nice to hear that this was well received!

Friday was impossible, but I will hope to make a future one.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
I was lucky enough to attend the screening and meet Mr. Furmanek as well as the curator Dave Kehr. Twilight Time has responded to a request for Inferno on their Facebook comments page by saying they have made numerous requests to Fox who haven't responded...with a possibility that Fox has their own plans for the title.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Rob, it was great to meet you. Thanks so much for coming to the show!

Somebody asked what I felt were the top ten 3-D features from the Golden Age.

In alphabetical order and based on story, performances and cinematography/use of 3-D - in my opinion:Creature from the Black LagoonDial M for MurderGun FuryHondoHouse of WaxI, the JuryInfernoIt Came from Outer SpaceKiss Me KateMiss Sadie Thompson

Runners up would be:Charge at Feather River
The Glass Web
Second Chance

What's your top ten from the Golden Age?

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Bob Furmanek said:
What's your top ten from the Golden Age?
Kiss Me Kate
Miss Sadie Thompson
Inferno
House Of Wax
Dial 'M' For Murder
Those Redheads From Seattle
The French Line
Son Of Sinbad
Money From Home
Sangaree

runners up:

Hondo
It Came From Outer Space
Arena
Charge At Feather River
Gorilla At Large

Doug.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Sad to see that MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE isn't listed. I've never seen it in 3D, so I have no idea how effective it is in that medium, but I've always had a soft spot for the movie in general and wish Warners would consider it for a future 3D release.Of course, I want KISS ME KATE more.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Doug Bull said:
Kiss Me Kate
Miss Sadie Thompson
Inferno
House Of Wax
Dial 'M' For Murder
Those Redheads From Seattle
The French Line
Son Of Sinbad
Money From Home
Sangaree

runners up:

Hondo
It Came From Outer Space
Arena
Charge At Feather River
Gorilla At Large

Doug.
Do the left and right prints exist for Son of Sinbad? I don't think it was never released in 3D.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
:3dglasses: IMDb
Son of Sinbad (1955) 1hr 31 min
RKO Radio Pictures
Cast: Dale Robertson, Vincent Price, Sally Forrest.....

Technical Spec:
Technicolor 35mm negative, 35mm Printed Film Format
Future Dimension (dual-strip 3D)
2D in SuperScope 235 release version print (2.00:1)
Sound Mix: Mono
Wikipedia
Film was shot in 1953 and planned to be released in 3D. However, because of difficulties with the Motion Picture Production Code, producer Howard Hughes shelved the film until 1955, when it was converted to the Tushinsky SuperScope[color=rgb(37,37,37);font-family:sans-serif;]process, in 2-D (flat)[/color].
Vincent Price's fourth and final 3-D film.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Matt: PHANTOM OF THE RUE MORGUE is beautifully photographed but it's not one of my personal favorites. Your mileage may vary.

Yes, the left/right elements exist on SON OF SINBAD but they have not been worked on or preserved. It was never released in 3-D, despite what the Hayes book claims.

I just looked up something in that book the other day. The amount of mistakes and assumptions is ridiculous!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I'm really pleased to see "Son Of Sinbad" discussed here.

How wonderful it would be if Warners surprised us all by releasing the 3D Version on Blu-ray.

George are you watching?

Of course if you are, then don't forget "Kiss Me Kate" "The French Line" "Arena" "Charge At Feather River" "Second Chance" "Devil's Canyon" "The Moonlighter" "Louisiana Territory" "Phantom Of The Rue Morgue" "Dangerous Mission"
and as extras on any future 3D Blu-ray release, Polarized versions of "Audioscopiks" "New Audioscopiks" and "Third Dimensional Murder"

metroscopix1.jpg
metroscopix3.jpg

Warner certainly has a Treasure Trove of Golden Age 3D in it's vault. George, please use the key and share.

Doug.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks