What's new

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
That's the one. I remember her in the TV series "Crane".
Although she often played exotic Oriental or Polynesian types she's actually German.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Ejanss said:
It's LITERALLY reached the point of myth, and the reality's a bit short--The myth started back in the post-Avatar days when it seemed like there were no US studios playing with pop-out, so we wanted some "underdog" movie to come out of nowhere and show them "how to do it".
Five years later, Dreamworks builds all their movies around throwing as much at us as possible, and folks still say "Where can I buy this mysterious industry-changing Turtle movie?" It's true, we could still use more pop-out, but at least we now we're all a little older and wiser and have more of a domestic source for it.

And also for five years, we've been telling the Faithful--who want to prove they're faithful by going out and paying $20 of import charges on top of the disk price--that they can find the 3D version for rent on Vudu and Playstation Network, for $6-7 each.
And after you see it....you'll know why I recommended the rental sources.

To my eyes, it lives up to that myth. It has the best 3D I've seen yet. Which later movie(s) do you think have better use of 3D? I'd like to see them.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
bruceames said:
To my eyes, it lives up to that myth. It has the best 3D I've seen yet. Which later movie(s) do you think have better use of 3D? I'd like to see them.
You and i are in complete agreement on this.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Happy 4th of July from Ann Miller and the 3-D Film Archive. Stay cool!

July 4 Ann Miller.jpg

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
We're finally in the home stretch!.

Coming very soon to 3-D Blu-ray:

DRAGONFLY SQUADRON from Olive Films on October 18, 2014

THE BUBBLE from Kino Lorber on November 18, 2014

3-D RARITIES from Flicker Alley in the spring of 2015.

As many of you know, we've been working on getting these films restored and ready for 3-D Blu-ray for a VERY long time now. It feels great to finally have these dates locked in so we can finally share this wonderful material with you!

bd-front-dragonfly-squadron.jpg

Bubble-art-small.jpg

Beany_web.jpg

DoomTown-Jack.jpgweb.jpg

College.jpgweb.jpg

Lumiere-Sept-1934.jpgweb.jpg

Maze2-1.37.jpgweb.jpg

ML-Gunzberg-1.37.jpgweb.jpg

Love-for-Sale-R2.jpgweb.jpg

Plasticon.jpgweb.jpg

Love-for-Sale-R.jpgweb.jpg

Stardust-R.jpgweb.jpg

thrillsviewers.jpgweb.jpg

Intermission1.37.jpgweb.jpg

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Any more information on Dragonfly Squadron, by that i mean what sort of 3D could i expect from this production. ?

I'm wondering Bob, since we speak about this in another thread, is there no chance for Flesh For Frankenstein on blu ray. ?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
My friend Peter Apruzzese has seen an advance copy of DRAGONFLY and said that he will post his observations in the next few days.

The Allied Artists studio-built 3-D rig had a fixed interaxial. The DP was Harry Neumann who had done a fabulous job on THE MAZE. If you've seen that in 3-D, you know that it has a VERY deep 3-D image and DRAGONFLY is the same. Most likely shot with 50mm lenses, it's very natural and is not gimmicky. If you're looking for lots of "popout" this is not the film for you. With that said, there are some excellent shots which take very good advantage of multi-layering and I feel the 3-D ads a lot to the film.

So far as the Paul Morrissey film, I spoke with him about restoring it last year. It's not well photographed and would need a great deal of work to minimize eyestrain. We could do it but it would be a big job and very time consuming.

Unless somebody is willing to work for free, I don't think it will get done...

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Bob Furmanek said:
My friend Peter Apruzzese has seen an advance copy of DRAGONFLY and said that he will post his observations in the next few days.

The Allied Artists studio-built 3-D rig had a fixed interaxial. The DP was Harry Neumann who had done a fabulous job on THE MAZE. If you've seen that in 3-D, you know that it has a VERY deep 3-D image and DRAGONFLY is the same. Most likely shot with 50mm lenses, it's very natural and is not gimmicky. If you're looking for lots of "popout" this is not the film for you. With that said, there are some excellent shots which take very good advantage of multi-layering and I feel the 3-D ads a lot to the film.

So far as the Paul Morrissey film, I spoke with him about restoring it last year. It's not well photographed and would need a great deal of work to minimize eyestrain. We could do it but it would be a big job and very time consuming.

Unless somebody is willing to work for free, I don't think it will get done...
Not lots of popout but since it is 3D i would welcome some, when you work on these films do you alter any of the 3D for the home, by that i mean optimize for certain displays, i ask because i have a DLP projector and don't suffer from crosstalk issues and i would hate to think these films get downgraded for LCD displays.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
FoxyMulder said:
Not lots of popout but since it is 3D i would welcome some, when you work on these films do you alter any of the 3D for the home, by that i mean optimize for certain displays, i ask because i have a DLP projector and don't suffer from crosstalk issues and i would hate to think these films get downgraded for LCD displays.
We fix any baked-in vertical mis-alignment as that will cause eyestrain but we never alter the parallax. To do so would change the compositional intent of the director and DP. If they wanted an object at the stereo window, that's where it remains.

The film has some well-done battle scenes, including one which utilized a little too many pyrotechnics. On April 28, 1954, Variety reported that somebody sued Allied Artists claiming he was "thrown from his bed and injured at 4 AM last August 28 from an explosion of between 15 and 50 sticks of dynamite."

There's no other mention in the trades so I suspect the lawsuit didn't get very far!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks