What's new

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Would they have filmed 3-D if Costello hadn't fallen ill, or had they already dropped those plans before the cast change?

We got some great 3-D films in the Golden Age, but such things we missed out on we'll never know.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Mike Ballew discusses the details in his commentary but in short, 3-D lensing was dropped before any 2nd unit footage was taken in San Francisco with Bud and Lou's stunt doubles.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
From the February 6 3D Film Archive Facebook broadcast:

Another Vinegar Syndrome title? – "stay tuned"
Flesh for Frankenstein? – "no"
Frankenstein’s Bloody Terror? – "will know in a few weeks"
Earl Owen – "except for Hyper Space, maybe, someone else might get them"

1fb.jpg

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Seems like now that 3-D blu-ray is dead, formerly stubborn rights holders have loosened up. Or they died. One of those.
I would bet on the rights owners dying and the heirs trying to figure out what to do with the properties.

whyme?

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael mcgee
I hope this is the right section to talk about this. Bob Fermanek.snd the 3D archives are equivalent to the production behind the classic ,Stewardesses in 3D. All week they made a living ,but ,on the weekends they would shoot this film.. The same with the 3D archives ,they make a living all week,but ,at nights and weekends they fix 3D classics,probably. This group doesn't make a living on being an archivist.I might be wrong.Right now they been working on some 3D projects. Projects like Prison Girls ,which was advertise as going to be release last year Diamond Wizard claiming to be put out on Nov 15 and Bwana the Devil Island late 22 . As an investors to Robot Monster the archived is still waiting on a better prints from international archives.Since the archive staff is small and then they have to make other livings.The dates for these releases are just guess. I suspected that I the jury was possibly going to be release first,since u.c.l.a.was restoring it.I was right.it is now on preorder at classic Flix.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I hope this is the right section to talk about this. Bob Fermanek.snd the 3D archives are equivalent to the production behind the classic ,Stewardesses in 3D. All week they made a living ,but ,on the weekends they would shoot this film.. The same with the 3D archives ,they make a living all week,but ,at nights and weekends they fix 3D classics,probably. This group doesn't make a living on being an archivist.I might be wrong.Right now they been working on some 3D projects. Projects like Prison Girls ,which was advertise as going to be release last year Diamond Wizard claiming to be put out on Nov 15 and Bwana the Devil Island late 22 . As an investors to Robot Monster the archived is still waiting on a better prints from international archives.Since the archive staff is small and then they have to make other livings.The dates for these releases are just guess. I suspected that I the jury was possibly going to be release first,since u.c.l.a.was restoring it.I was right.it is now on preorder at classic Flix.
I am giddy!! I Can't wait to see this feature givin some love and attention, Thansk to all the dedicated individuals and businesses undertaking this title!!

Attachments

• RObo Madness copy.jpg
    RObo Madness copy.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 19

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
"As I’ve said for past reviews, the 3-D Film Archive crew are cinematic magicians restoring these nearly lost or almost completely forgotten classics to their proper 3-D glory. Each project has had its own unique issues to deal with and they’ve done masterful work in the past. But with The Diamond Wizard they may well have set a new high bar for themselves. Simply put this 1.65:1 1080p 3D Blu-ray presentation is a marvel! Amazingly the film was never shown in 3-D during its original theatrical run, and it wasn’t seen stereoscopically until 2006! This is a shocking tidbit to me because this is a phenomenal example of what great 3-D can look like. From wide-open shots of an atomic lab to tight closeups of guns or a piece of jewelry, there’s an incredible sense of depth that’s easy on the eyes without any unsightly ghosting or parallax effects.

Depth along the Z-axis is vast making it feel like you could see into the distance for miles while there are plenty of Pop-Outs and foreground objects to maintain scale. Camera movements are well-timed and fluid to ensure depth is never lost and your eyes never strain or “bug out.” And speaking of Pop-Outs, there are plenty of amazing moments and objects that push their way out of the screen but they’re not the main focus - not every shot is composed to elicit this effect so when you see a revolver barrel or a suitcase or a model plane punch out of the screen it’s a surprise and well-managed effect. Even optical effects of telegram ticker tape over the screen add amazing depth to a brief moment in the film.

Referring back to a key moment on the escalator at a tube station I mentioned earlier, when I was a kid I got to go to London and those steep drop escalators terrified me. They gave me such vertigo I was sure I’d fall. There’s a scene in the third act that takes place on just such an escalator and it immediately gave me that terrifying vertigo feeling - and it’s glorious!"

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
"As I’ve said for past reviews, the 3-D Film Archive crew are cinematic magicians restoring these nearly lost or almost completely forgotten classics to their proper 3-D glory. Each project has had its own unique issues to deal with and they’ve done masterful work in the past. But with The Diamond Wizard they may well have set a new high bar for themselves. Simply put this 1.65:1 1080p 3D Blu-ray presentation is a marvel! Amazingly the film was never shown in 3-D during its original theatrical run, and it wasn’t seen stereoscopically until 2006! This is a shocking tidbit to me because this is a phenomenal example of what great 3-D can look like. From wide-open shots of an atomic lab to tight closeups of guns or a piece of jewelry, there’s an incredible sense of depth that’s easy on the eyes without any unsightly ghosting or parallax effects.

Depth along the Z-axis is vast making it feel like you could see into the distance for miles while there are plenty of Pop-Outs and foreground objects to maintain scale. Camera movements are well-timed and fluid to ensure depth is never lost and your eyes never strain or “bug out.” And speaking of Pop-Outs, there are plenty of amazing moments and objects that push their way out of the screen but they’re not the main focus - not every shot is composed to elicit this effect so when you see a revolver barrel or a suitcase or a model plane punch out of the screen it’s a surprise and well-managed effect. Even optical effects of telegram ticker tape over the screen add amazing depth to a brief moment in the film.

Referring back to a key moment on the escalator at a tube station I mentioned earlier, when I was a kid I got to go to London and those steep drop escalators terrified me. They gave me such vertigo I was sure I’d fall. There’s a scene in the third act that takes place on just such an escalator and it immediately gave me that terrifying vertigo feeling - and it’s glorious!"
Thanks so much Bob, recovering film history and being able to restore them and share it for us now and for those in the future is the gift that keeps on giving!!! Kudos!!

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Mystery Science Theater 3000 aired their take on THE MASK last night. Looked good in anaglyphic 3-D. Not sure if it was the Archive’s work or not. They are also doing THE BUBBLE, but not in 3-D.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Glenn Erickson/Cinesavant reviews THE DIAMOND WIZARD:

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
I buy them all. The more we buy, the better chance the 3-D FilmArchive will get more 3-D titles to restore.

I wonder how well 3-D worked at drive-in theatres.

8/10/53
View attachment 138657

8/11/53
View attachment 138658

12/13/53
View attachment 138659

12/16/53
View attachment 138655
I saw BWANA DEVIL in 3-D in a cinema where My parents worked,when it was first released. I remember that the 3-D effects were only so-so .It was the same as all the early 3-D films that we screened

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks