What's new

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
As I mentioned in yesterday's update, the original left/right elements for COLLEGE CAPERS were destroyed in the 1970s. All that survives today is a very faded anaglyphic release print from 1953. Here's an example of the restoration work that we've been able to do on this severely compromised element.

This is the original raw scan compared to our new restoration.

01-SURVIVING-3-D-ELEMENT.png

03-3-D-BLURAY-ANA-VERSION.png

Here is the same image in discrete 3-D, presented in both parallel and cross-eyed versions.

College-collage1.jpg

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
As I mentioned in yesterday's update, the original left/right elements for COLLEGE CAPERS were destroyed in the 1970s. All that survives today is a very faded anaglyphic release print from 1953. Here's an example of the restoration work that we've been able to do on this severely compromised element.

This is the original raw scan compared to our new restoration.

01-SURVIVING-3-D-ELEMENT.png

03-3-D-BLURAY-ANA-VERSION.png

Here is the same image in discrete 3-D, presented in both parallel and cross-eyed versions.

College-collage1.jpg

Tried it with the glasses from Dynasty and it looks fantastic!

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I just found out that the new season of Mystery Science Theater 3000 (currently in the final 28 hours of its Kickstarter campaign) is going to riff a 3-D movie. Anaglyph presumably, as you can order branded glasses via the Kickstarter. I'm curious to see what it is and if there's a 3-D Film Archive connection.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I just found out that the new season of Mystery Science Theater 3000 (currently in the final 28 hours of its Kickstarter campaign) is going to riff a 3-D movie. Anaglyph presumably, as you can order branded glasses via the Kickstarter. I'm curious to see what it is and if there's a 3-D Film Archive connection.
My guess was APE but that's a total guess.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
"And you know, part of the reason I'm so pleased about this is because old-fashioned anaglyphic 3-D feels like such a big part of the classic cineplex experience, which is a lot of the inspiration between the Gizmoplex."

I never saw a movie in anaglyph 3D at a theatre. They were all polarized glasses.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I saw one anaglyph movie many many years ago but the best were always the genuine polarised ones.
I did love the crazy anaglyph magazines though ... I had a Mighty Mouse 3d comic when I was young, and, from memory, a Mad Magazine 3d special issue featuring Ray Charles on the cover complete with those red-green glasses. What a great sport as well as a sublime singer .....

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I saw one anaglyph movie many many years ago but the best were always the genuine polarised ones.
I did love the crazy anaglyph magazines though ... I had a Mighty Mouse 3d comic when I was young, and, from memory, a Mad Magazine 3d special issue featuring Ray Charles on the cover complete with those red-green glasses. What a great sport as well as a sublime singer .....
If you like 3D comics then track down Ray Zone's 3D version of Joe Kubert's "Tor". It's amazing and the longer you look at it the more amazing it gets.

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
"And you know, part of the reason I'm so pleased about this is because old-fashioned anaglyphic 3-D feels like such a big part of the classic cineplex experience, which is a lot of the inspiration between the Gizmoplex."

I never saw a movie in anaglyph 3D at a theatre. They were all polarized glasses.

I vaguely remember seeing a re-release print of Creature From the Black Lagoon in anaglyphic and the tail end of Freddy’s Dead in theaters. They were both letdowns 3-D quality wise. Every other 3-D thing I saw in a theater was polarized, be it film or digital. I never fell for the Spy Kids or Shark Boy and Lava Girl releases based on my prior experience. 😬

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Still, to reach the greatest number of people in this case, anaglyphic makes perfect sense and I’m still looking forward to checking it out.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

I saw 2, in the early 2000s: Spy Kids 3-D and The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl in 3-D. Because they predated the mass rollout of digital projection and thus digital 3D, Dimension Films shipped anamorphic prints, which were surprisingly effective, especially for pop-outs. The films themselves are among Robert Rodriguez' lesser efforts and are only partially in 3D. I saw both of these several times, because I was working as a projectionist at the time.

Last edited:

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
I had a Mighty Mouse 3d comic when I was young, and, from memory, a Mad Magazine 3d special issue featuring Ray Charles on the cover complete with those red-green glasses. What a great sport as well as a sublime singer .....
That was a National Lampoon issue. Even many of the ads for stereo equipment were in anaglyph 3-D. I have my original copy.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Mad, Ray Charles. National Lampoon, Stevie Wonder. There goes my memory; bye bye.
And the anaglyph movie I saw as 'Creature from the Black Lagoon'. From my unreliable memory, the first polarised 3d movie I saw was Bwana Devil, but that's my memory so I'm probably wrong.......

ilovenola2

Agent
Real Name
Joe Bonelli

I, too, never saw a movie with red and green glasses during the early 1950s 3D period. But I think I did see one or two that way a few years later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks