What's new

whyme?

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael mcgee
This concerns the release of the 3d classic, Wings of the Hawk. I might have expressed this earlier, but, this is a different view. Now bob stated it would be released in late 2020. This probably will, but, as bob stated in 2021 the second Kung fu movie he is going to restore that was in 3D shogun women. This is also an independent film and he will probably use Kick starters for the fundraising. This means, possibly, he will start as soon as possible next year. This might delay Wings of the eagle for even a later-year release, but, after shogun, women have been restored. Possibly middle of next year for, "Wings of the eagle, unless the delay is really being caused by copyright agreements that is why it might take longer for it to be released. I hope I'm wrong about this and it's released late this year.I'm so excited when I heard that they found the original 3 track stereo soundtrack. I have seen the flat version on AMC, or was it t.c.m.? years ago and it's a good movie. As much as I donated for the Dynasty film, I'm far more excited about the Wings of the hawk. I'm glad that bob decided to include the anaglyphic version of Dynasty for 3d fans with no 3d setup. This should have been a standard of his other restoration in a just in case scenario. Well if the release of, "Wings of the hawk," takes longer I'll still donate to Shogun women on Kick Starter if that's the way the money will be raised.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Was this meant to be in the middle or end of a pre-existing thread? As a standalone I really can't make heads or tails of it since it seems like it's starting in the middle on a conversation especially with the thread title giving no starting point.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Wings Of The Hawk is in the Universal Deal with Kino. There should not be a kick-starter for this title and I still believe it is on the late 2020 Kino proposed release titles. 3D Archive will assist on this title, but I don’t think it will be postponed due Bob’s other work. More information on the release in in Post #4523 In the Kino Thread.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I’ve always believed that there are four major causes of the phenomena discussed. Lastly, the infinite attention draining minutiae.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I’ve always believed that there are four major causes of the phenomena discussed. Lastly, the infinite attention draining minutiae.
1596279252358.png

Attachments

• 1596279210736.png
    1596279210736.png
    190.9 KB · Views: 223

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If your interested in 1950's 3D titles from Sony being released, post that in your comments here.

Roland, I love yuh. It pains me to say this: Why would Sony even consider that?

The format is essentially dead. It's great that there are small boutique labels and restorationists releasing titles here and there, but for the most part, the studios have no interest in mining and restoring their 3D library.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
As a Golden Age 3D enthusiast, I appreciate the sentiment, Roland, but...

Echoing Ronald to an extent:

To get a classic 3D blu ray released you need a distributor of course. Kino's been making it clear that they're disenchanted with the sales results on '50s 3D westerns, and most of Sony/Columbia's remaining Golden Age 3D catalog are just that. So I don't see interest from Sony/Columbia or Kino.

I desperately want Kino to keep cranking out Golden Age 3D titles but (as noted elsewhere) all the westerns (from Kino and TT) have underperformed other genres on 3D blu and distributors will have only so much patience for that before they turn off the 3D spigot overall.

Save your Sony/Columbia-directed keystrokes for something else.

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
You are correct that most of them are westerns (see list below). I was thinking that if Kino, Shout Factory, Flicker Alley, Olive Films, or Vinegar Syndrome are not making a profit or breaking even on some of the 3D titles they released, have Bob get the money from a Kickstarter campaign. In fact, I remember Bob saying that Paul Morrissey would be interested in releasing Flesh for Frankenstein if the 3D film Archive did the restoration for free. That could be another Kickstarter campaign.

Fort Ti
Nebraskan
Stranger Wore a Gun
Drums of Tahiti
Jesse James Vs the Daltons

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
As creepy (in the icky sense more so than the scary sense) as Flesh for Frankenstein is, I'd be all over a Kickstarter for a 3D blu.

But as we've learned on this board and others, Sony/Columbia, like Warner Bros (but, thankfully, unlike Paramount and Universal) has had a policy of delivering finished masters to its distributor (until recently of course Twilight Time) -- and not inviting in outside restoration experts to polish up a print in need of work.

So Sony provided nice 3D masters of Mad Magician, Man in the Dark, Miss Sadie Thompson and Gun Fury (though some have complained about issues with the latter) to TT. But if any of the remaining titles needs additional work, you run into that catch-22, and Kino (for one) sure seems to be expressing disinterest in supporting any additional expenditure for a Golden Age western based on sales so far.

And, Bob has noted that the big studios do not allow kickstarters for their titles -- another catch-22.

So independent titles (recent example of course being Dynasty) are our best bet for kickstarters, and I'm at the ready to kick in.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
As creepy (in the icky sense more so than the scary sense) as Flesh for Frankenstein is, I'd be all over a Kickstarter for a 3D blu.

But as we've learned on this board and others, Sony/Columbia, like Warner Bros (but, thankfully, unlike Paramount and Universal) has had a policy of delivering finished masters to its distributor (until recently of course Twilight Time) -- and not inviting in outside restoration experts to polish up a print in need of work.

So Sony provided nice 3D masters of Mad Magician, Man in the Dark, Miss Sadie Thompson and Gun Fury (though some have complained about issues with the latter) to TT. But if any of the remaining titles needs additional work, you run into that catch-22, and Kino (for one) sure seems to be expressing disinterest in supporting any additional expenditure for a Golden Age western based on sales so far.

And, Bob has noted that the big studios do not allow kickstarters for their titles -- another catch-22.

So independent titles (recent example of course being Dynasty) are our best bet for kickstarters, and I'm at the ready to kick in.

I'd love to see Flesh for Frankenstein 3D. But I've heard that the rights owner won't allow a restoration.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
You are correct that most of them are westerns (see list below). I was thinking that if Kino, Shout Factory, Flicker Alley, Olive Films, or Vinegar Syndrome are not making a profit or breaking even on some of the 3D titles they released, have Bob get the money from a Kickstarter campaign. In fact, I remember Bob saying that Paul Morrissey would be interested in releasing Flesh for Frankenstein if the 3D film Archive did the restoration for free. That could be another Kickstarter campaign.

Fort Ti
Nebraskan
Stranger Wore a Gun
Drums of Tahiti
Jesse James Vs the Daltons

I am a big fan of westerns but none of these appealed to me. Own quite a few non-western 3D blu rays and would buy more if other classic titles become available.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I've repeatedly been curious about that "The 3-D Movie" compilation documentary whose trailer was featured on "3D Rarities II"--

I remember just about every 80's revival 3D movie from '82-'83 (was too young to see Jaws, Jason or Amityville, but I remember Treasure of the Four Crowns, Spacehunter and Starchaser: Legend of Orin in a theater, and the only good one being a revival of "House of Wax"), but so help me, this was the first time I'd heard of the documentary. Can't even find data on IMDb.
Or would rights issues hold up other movie-compilation documentaries today, eg. "Terror in the Aisles"?

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
I've repeatedly been curious about that "The 3-D Movie" compilation documentary whose trailer was featured on "3D Rarities II"--
This was the first time I'd heard of the documentary. Can't even find data on IMDb.
Or would rights issues hold up other movie-compilation documentaries today, eg. "Terror in the Aisles"?

It says in the booklet with the disc that the final film was never released.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
Darn. ("Booklets"?...Oh, THOSE things.)
Still, thanks to Rarities II, at least we've got an easily referenced version of the beer-tray scene from "The Bubble". :cool: :emoji_beers:
Additionally the 3D Film Archive replied to a query on their Facebook site...I know a black and white work print survives but I’m not sure on the final feature. It will never happen as the rights clearances would be a nightmare.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks