1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

3D Meet Bob Furmanek: HTF Golden Age 3-D Consultant

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Camps

Camps Supporting Actor

Tom
    I'm sure Bob's response to that would be...

No comment until the time limit is up!

[​IMG]

Gary16, ahollis and Matt Hough like this.
  2. SFMike

SFMike Second Unit

Michael
    Off the subject but maybe interesting to 3D fans, my local theater chain is not having any showings of Frozen 2 in 3D, although they did have two shows a day of Maleficent: Mistress of Evil. I wrote an e-mail to complain and this was the reply:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I’m sorry to hear that we missed out on the opportunity to serve you due to not having “Frozen II” in 3D. Although we try to do our best to have an array of options for our guests, there are just some movies that don’t do well in 3D. Unfortunately, These are kid’s movies that are G/PG rated like “Frozen II”. With half the seats we used to have before the recliner conversion, we are just unable to accommodate a format that traditionally does not do well. My apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

So now we know that 3D is considered by these morons "traditionally does not do well" although the "tradition" only seems to apply to this theater chain and it's management. How many other chains feel the same way?

On subject
    , I saw Parasite when on original release (I'm old) and didn't think much of it at the time except for the great pop-outs but have to admit I enjoyed it a lot more after the 3D Film Archive got done with it and found it strangely entertaining in a way that I didn't in the past. Keep up the great work !

3. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I am assuming you refer to the Regal chain, which did cut its seating capacity considerably with recliners a couple of years ago. I don't like the company, either. There are "certain" of their cinemas (and other chains, apparently) that are showing many classics such as MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS and ALIEN and others, plus ballets and other special events, but NOT MY LOCAL REGAL CINEMA. Why not? The rather rude manager here told me it had to do with the satellite system. The Brunswick, Maine theater runs all this stuff, but that's a 40-minute drive for me. The local cinema is five minutes away, but because they have a different satellite system, they cannot download those classic titles. That's bullshit. I'd go to every one of the classics if I could do it without the hassle of traveling the distance.

ilovenola2 and SFMike like this.
  4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

For what it's worth, my local AMC has a full day of 3-D shows. Looking at tomorrow's times, the 3-D screenings are very crowded already (the front row and a few random single seats are still open) but to put that in proper context, the day time 2D shows are even more full since Frozen is so popular.

SFMike, phillyrobt and ahollis like this.
  5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    It varies from theater to theater. At the two local theaters, for the first weekend of Frozen II, one had 7 of 11 shows in 3D, the other had only 1 of 9 in 3D.

SFMike likes this.
  6. Message #4266 of 4292 Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Ross Gowland

Ross Gowland Stunt Coordinator

Ross Gowland
    Is 3D still big in America, though?

Here in the UK, 3D has died the death. It has a few die-hard enthusiasts, but for the vast majority 3D TVs are a dead duck and 3D cinema screenings have died out due to lack of interest. Cinema chains liked the premium and tried to hold onto it, but had to admit defeat.

Even the BFI iMax has given up.

I think if a film is shot in 3D then ideally it should be seen in 3D, but 3D has been tried three times now (50s/80s/2010s) and, after initial interest, has been rejected by most cinema goers here.

7. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    This is interesting because those of us in the good ol’ USofA have to mostly buy our 3D’s discs from across the pond. So 3D is dead in the UK but they’re still willing to sell the discs?

8. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    That really isn’t true. 3D has not died a death in the U.K. There are still 3D cinema showings - ones playing now include “Frozen 2” and “Jumanji The Next Level” as well as IMAX 3D showings. I subscribe to Sky TV and at any one time there are about 40 films available to watch and record in 3D. There are also plenty of 3D Blu-rays available in HMV stores and from on-line retailers. Certainly there are no new 3D TV sets currently being made but enthusiasts such as I have future-proofed ourselves by purchasing and keeping in reserve a second 3D TV set :)

9. Ross Gowland

Ross Gowland Stunt Coordinator

Ross Gowland
    Jumanji isn’t out for another week, but Frozen 2 is out. As far as I can see it’s the only 3D film on general release at the moment.

It’s 2D only at the Brighton Odeon and Cineworld, both multiplexes.

In Worthing and Bognor 10 and 15 miles west it’s 2D only.

They have hourly showings of it all day at the Portsmouth Vue (50 miles west), but none of them are 3D.

Heading East to Eastbourne, about 20 miles away, there’s a 3D screening at Cineworld. But just one on Sunday at 3pm. For the rest of the week it’s 2D only.

Five years ago there have been a lot more than that. And there’d be a lot more films in 3D too. This seems to be the case all over the country as far as I can see. I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say it’s died the death.

It’s a shame as I’d like to see films shot and presented in 3D (I’ve no interest in conversions) but there it is.

10. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    [​IMG]

11. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    AMC Veterans 24 in Tampa, Frozen 2 has five showings in 3D for tomorrow.

ilovenola2 and ahollis like this.
  12. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    In New Orleans there are three theatres playin Frozen in 3D out of six venues. One AMC house has 8 3D showtimes. The other AMC has 5 3D showtimes and the Regal has 3 3D showtimes including one their Large Screen venue. The other theatres are small independent and do not show 3D at all. That’s a pretty good saturation of 3D showtimes in my area.

Douglas R likes this.
  13. wesaussie

wesaussie Stunt Coordinator

Wes Anderson
    Am I missing something hasn't this time now past and I can't see any announcement?

14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  15. wesaussie

wesaussie Stunt Coordinator

Wes Anderson
  16. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    Mike Ballew and ahollis like this.
  17. Message #4277 of 4292 Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah from everyone at the 3-D Film Archive.

You'll have a VERY dimensional 2020 with these stereoscopic gems coming to you on 3-D Blu-ray: 3-D Rarities II; Taza, Son of Cochise, Wings of the Hawk and Revenge of the Shogun Women!

Plus the 2-D AFRICA SCREAMS too! www.tinyurl.com/saveabbottandcostello

[​IMG]

18. Panman40

Panman40 Screenwriter

Martin Campbell
    really looking forward to Rarities 2 !

phillyrobt and Bob Furmanek like this.
  19. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Cinematographer

Anthony
    Lucky I had some anaglyph glasses at hand. And season returns to you too and thanks for all your great work on behalf of us 3d nuts.

phillyrobt and Bob Furmanek like this.
  20. ilovenola2

ilovenola2 Auditioning

Joe Bonelli
    Yes, and it's now Dec. 19 and the same theatre (AMC Veterans in Tampa) has one showing a day (mid-afternoon) for the next two weeks of the new Star Wars film in 3D IMAX. A sister theatre (AMC Woodland) has the same. Only ONE showing a day (IMAX 3D) for two weeks. I plan to go Tuesday.