1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

3D Meet Bob Furmanek: HTF Golden Age 3-D Consultant

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    12 days, not bad. :thumbsup:

2. Camps

Camps Supporting Actor

Tom
    Congrats, Bob.

FWIW, there are a handful of Corazon contemporaries for which I would kick in up to 5-fold -- two of them with studios with which I believe you've done business (one of the titles alas tangled-up in music-rights issues), a couple of them with a large studio which seems to have shied from 3D following a promising early spurt, one of them with a large northern California archive, one of them with a studio that just got gobbled by a bigger studio, and two of them with a recalcitrant old hoarder...

Jesse Skeen likes this.
  3. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

Would Robot Monster be one of those? For such an entertainingly-awful film, I hear the 3D is actually pretty decent. I know I'd support a release.

Ross Gowland likes this.
  4. Camps

Camps Supporting Actor

Tom
    Well, without naming names ;)..... yes, the 3D on Robot Monster is indeed pretty decent -- when 3D Film Archive puts its talents to it:

Brian Kidd likes this.
  5. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

Bob is currently away from his computer (on a very interesting trip, btw) but has been watching this keenly. So I wanted to give a quick shout out and break away briefly from working on PARASITE, which also has been keeping us quite busy.

Jump back to over a year ago:

We knew our elements of SWORD OF GRANADA aka: EL CORAZON had various image shortcomings but it was also important to have this title be seen. After we had complete L/R scans done and started detailed inspections we soon discovered the lab had printed some reels incorrectly. Because of the particular 3-D rig used, images were flipped, and had to be unflipped when making theatrical prints, which was not too uncommon with some vintage 3-D configurations. Well, the lab had not properly flipped many of the reels whenever our older print was made, putting the optical track over image area that was meant to be seen, while image area never meant to be seen was instead exposed. Flipping an image is easy enough, but the considerable loss of usable image area was gone.

Now Bob had always been curious about the original camera negatives and really wanted this title to be the best it could be. So when this printing error was discovered, he was even more intent on using the original camera negatives. So began an agonizing year long plus process with more twists and turns than can ever be told. There were various dead ends and considerable money spent never to be recovered. It was stressful enough that I started waiting for Bob to call "Uncle" and walk away from the idea. But to his credit he was tenacious, and slowly, ever so slowly, made progress. With all of the hills climbed, you can imagine when we received our first sample that it was a serious case of being on pins and needles for us. ...Will it all have been worth it? .. Just how good can this feature really look?

Wow...I have to say Bob's year long efforts had paid off, with an incredibly detailed image filled with rich contrast, shadow texture, and depth galore. I thought it looked sharper than many studio stateside efforts of the time. But.. this would now mean all new scans and securing the rights to do so. How could we ever climb that mountain? Enter Eric Kurland, to sound off the stereoscopic call to arms, and thanks to his help and everyone involved, which really is most of you reading this now, this is now happening. After researching this further, Bob wanted true English subtitles from the original Spanish track as that would be a closer representation translation of the original intent. Thanks to all of your support, this too is happening. (And if one is ever so inclined, could even compare the English subs to the English dubbed track to spot the differences.) The original Spanish track will of course be the default audio unless one chooses otherwise. All with new scans directly from the original camera negative.

Mexico's first 3-D motion picture will look magnifico. It's what the film makers and heirs have long wanted. It's been our goal to make that happen, and with your help, will now be done with the full respect it deserves.

Greg Kintz

Technical Director
    3-D Film Archive, LLC
    http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/

pinknik, KPmusmag, B-ROLL and 23 others like this.
  6. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    Can't wait to find out what that is all about! :eek:

7. revgen

revgen Screenwriter

Dan
    The stretch goal has been initiated. If it reaches $25,000, all of the Kickstarter 3-D Rarities II blu-ray's will receive a lenticular insert.

Panman40, SFMike, ahollis and 4 others like this.
  8. SFMike

SFMike Second Unit

Michael
    Love those lenticular case covers. They make it even more special.

Panman40 likes this.
  9. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    Thank you everyone for your interest and support in saving EL CORAZON Y LA ESPADA.

Check out the latest updates and help us to reach our first stretch goal for a Lenticular cover.

If we make it, there are some VERY cool additional stretch goals just waiting in the wings!

tinyurl.com/SaveElCorazon3D

10. revgen

revgen Screenwriter

Dan
    A new stretch goal has been announced. If the campaign reaches $30,000, the 3-D Film Archive will restore a British 3-D short film by Raymond Spottiswoode that was shown at the 1951 Festival of Britain. We're $3100 away from that goal with 9 days left.

phillyrobt likes this.
  11. revgen

revgen Screenwriter

Dan
    We have only have $1500 more to go to reach the $30,000 stretch goal. If we reach it by 12:00 PM PDT tomorrow there will be a bonus gift included with each Kickstarter blu-ray.

phillyrobt likes this.
  12. Quatermass II

Quatermass II Stunt Coordinator

John Hayes
    I know I'm a bit behind the curve on this one, but I finally received my copy of Jivaro 3D - and what a fantastic restoration job! Beautiful, clear, sharp images - wonderful colour and superb 3D - and totally ghost-free on our active living room TV. This is certainly one of the best I've seen from the fifties Golden Age. Thanks for the brilliant job, guys - keep up the great work!

13. StephenDH

StephenDH Supporting Actor

Stephen
    A great job on "Jivaro".
    Fernando Lamas' Rio is multi-talented but knows crap about crossing rope(y) bridges: don't take the whole group in one go, don't walk as slowly as humanly possible and don't stop to enjoy the view halfway across, over a raging torrent.
    3D,Technicolor, widescreen and Rhonda Fleming. What more could one possibly ask for?

14. revgen

revgen Screenwriter

Dan
    The $30,000 stretch goal has been reached before 12:00 PM PDT. Great job everyone.

15. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I’m so happy to see this doing so well! My congratulations to the 3D Film Archive and all involved.

16. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

And they say there's no demand for 3D, or old movies for that matter...

Camps, GregK, SFMike and 4 others like this.
  17. StephenDH

Stephen
    The only people not interested in 3D are movie studios, TV companies and TV manufacturers. What their customers actually want is apparently a minor irritation.

18. Jobla

Jobla Supporting Actor

Not minor, but major. I owned a video store in the 80's and 90's, and the studios had absolutely no interest in hearing about what people wanted. There were a few exceptions, such as George Feltenstein, but most studio people ignored the public.

StephenDH and SFMike like this.
  19. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    You can say that about most companies/industries. It's not usually about what the consumers actually want, but what the companies are willing to give them. The motto of most businesses these days seems to be, "You'll take what we give you and be happy with it."

SFMike likes this.
  20. StephenDH

Stephen
    Huge companies and industries are frequently wrong-footed by technological change which their customer base has already managed to grasp, e.g Microsoft and the Internet, Microsoft and the mobile phone, Microsoft and the mp3 player, the music, TV and film industries and filesharing,
    Movie studios had little interest in 3D until they saw how much money Arch Oboler was making from B'wana Devil, then they ran it into the ground trying to do the same.
    In the UK 3D TV has had a less than stellar history with only BSkyB making any effort to get to grips with it but choosing their material poorly.
    The BBC made a token show or two and ITV ignored it completely.

Brent Reid likes this.