What's new

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
When I dealt with him in May 2000 and provided 11 features and 4 shorts for a 3-D festival at his theater, he could not have been nicer and was very accommodating. But that was because I had something he wanted and could get nowhere else.

Maybe you should have another 3D festival at his theatre with the titles that the 3D Film Archive restored digitally. He would be able to see the wonderful work you have done and be willing to have you do the same for his titles.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think Mr. Packard's MO can be summed up thusly: he wants to preserve films, but he doesn't see the benefits to anything that makes them more accessible to home video audiences. Remember, this is the guy whose friendship with Steve Jobs broke up over his belief that movies shouldn't be seen on 2 1/2" screens.

While I love a proper theatrical experience, I also love the ability to see 3D films at home, as screenings in theatres are starting to wane.
You would think he should consider making an exception for 3D at least, since no home 3D is being watched on any screen smaller than probably 50".

And I may be remembering incorrectly, but wasn't it said that he owns the print to only one side of a 3D film? If that's the case, he can't ever watch the film in 3D unless he allows some restoration and pairing with the other side.

ilovenola2

Agent
Real Name
Joe Bonelli
I sent an email to [email protected] suggestion they do a segment on the 3D Film Archive on their Sunday Morning show. With all the repeats they have, they should do one on them instead. Maybe if more people wrote to CBS they would.
And NPR Radio likes to do this sort of feature. Terry Gross' show, produced in Philadelphia, FRESH AIR is heard nationally daily. I'm certain that FRESH AIR movie critic and occasional host David Edelstein would be interested.

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
The article about David Packard doesn't mention it, but the Library of Congress facility that he funded is called the Packard Campus of the National Audio-Visual Conservation Center.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The article about David Packard doesn't mention it, but the Library of Congress facility that he funded is called the Packard Campus of the National Audio-Visual Conservation Center.
And the auditorium where films are shown is quite lovely. I really like watching films there. He's still a **** in other areas I presume.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
On a smaller scale its the same with those of us who have made Super 8 and 16mm short films, in my case for 50 years. So many have donated filmic efforts to THE ARCHIVE over here in good faith but sadly these are never seen again unless they deem some sort of public paying screening which has become very rare event in the UK. I still go out projecting my films to groups as I have done throughout my life and am still 8mm filming, cutting, mag striping and laying down sound tracks.

People make films to be seen and transport us to a different place, its pointless to lock them up to literally fade away. In the case of classic 3D these as we all know are cinematic history and thankfully many now have been saved and viewable to a standard as never before.
Today for us here this is the golden era of 3D thanks to the craftsmen who are restoring them and with much gratitude.
Off my box..

Real Name
Paul Thrussell
Does he actually give any concrete reason for not loaning any of these prints? Like, does he just have a hate-on for home video as mentioned previously, or does he refuse to loan his prints for restoration efforts as well? I suppose the former could lead to the latter if a video release was the primary end goal.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Maybe he thinks a Blu-ray release would mean fewer people would want to see them at a cinema? Not very logical but it's a possibility.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
On October 14, 2014, we released our first 3-D title on Blu-ray: DRAGONFLY SQUADRON.

Over these past four years, we have established a winning formula for rescuing vintage 3-D films and have proudly restored fourteen vintage titles for Blu-ray release.

Working with microscopic budgets, we have brought these stereoscopic gems back to life and out of the vaults and into your homes. We truly care more about preservation than profit and you can not find a better team than Greg Kintz, Thad Komorowski, Jack Theakston and Eckhard Büttner. Thanks to our dedicated staff of restoration experts, the films truly look better today than when they were first shown in theaters.

Our current restoration project is the never released in 3-D headhunter jungle adventure JIVARO aka LOST TREASURE OF THE AMAZON starring Fernando Lamas and Rhonda Fleming with Brian Keith, Lon Chaney and Rita Moreno. Watch for it from Kino Lorber in early 2019.

Other 3-D Film Archive restorations coming soon include 3-D RARITIES II from Flicker Alley featuring the ultra-rare feature (not shown anywhere since 1954) EL CORAZON Y LA ESPADA starring Cesar Romero and Katy Jurado; a 3-D Nudie-Cuties double feature with Francis Ford Coppola's THE BELLBOY AND THE PLAYGIRLS plus the never-before-seen Natural Vision feature, ADAM AND 6 EVES. In addition, there are many more surprise features from 3-D's Golden Age including one title that was never released in third-dimension that will make its official debut on 3-D Blu-ray in 2019. Keep an eye on our website for news and updates: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home

I thank everyone for your interest and support. Rest assured; there is much more to come!

Archive-collage.jpg

Quatermass II

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hayes
Phenomenal output and dedication. Well done, all. And shame on anyone who, for the sake of greed or no good reason whatsoever, refuses to co-operate with your valiant efforts and is blocking these classics from being seen and loved all over again.
Well said. I can't comprehend the thought processes of these obstructionist individuals. I've never met people like this and it seems like the film industry has more than its fair share. Against all the odds, though, Bob, you and your team are doing a fantastic job - and we all really, really appreciate it.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
On October 14, 2014, we released our first 3-D title on Blu-ray: DRAGONFLY SQUADRON.

Over these past four years, we have established a winning formula for rescuing vintage 3-D films and have proudly restored fourteen vintage titles for Blu-ray release.

Working with microscopic budgets, we have brought these stereoscopic gems back to life and out of the vaults and into your homes. We truly care more about preservation than profit and you can not find a better team than Greg Kintz, Thad Komorowski, Jack Theakston and Eckhard Büttner. Thanks to our dedicated staff of restoration experts, the films truly look better today than when they were first shown in theaters.

Our current restoration project is the never released in 3-D headhunter jungle adventure JIVARO aka LOST TREASURE OF THE AMAZON starring Fernando Lamas and Rhonda Fleming with Brian Keith, Lon Chaney and Rita Moreno. Watch for it from Kino Lorber in early 2019.

Other 3-D Film Archive restorations coming soon include 3-D RARITIES II from Flicker Alley featuring the ultra-rare feature (not shown anywhere since 1954) EL CORAZON Y LA ESPADA starring Cesar Romero and Katy Jurado; a 3-D Nudie-Cuties double feature with Francis Ford Coppola's THE BELLBOY AND THE PLAYGIRLS plus the never-before-seen Natural Vision feature, ADAM AND 6 EVES. In addition, there are many more surprise features from 3-D's Golden Age including one title that was never released in third-dimension that will make its official debut on 3-D Blu-ray in 2019. Keep an eye on our website for news and updates: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home

I thank everyone for your interest and support. Rest assured; there is much more to come!

View attachment 50720

oddly only one title in that group is missing from my shelf, 2 actually, but Universal is supposedly sending a corrected disc of one, and well i haven't picked up Fernando yet

Last edited:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
It was released flat in 1954 and If you saw the newly struck 35mm left/right prints of JIVARO in 2006 at the 3-D Film Expo in Hollywood, you may recall how washed-out and yellow it was from fading negatives.

Our restoration of JIVARO is very much a work-in-progress at the moment but here's a little left/right cross-eye sneak peak for you.

As you can see, Jack Theakston and Greg Kintz are working more of their amazing magic to restore some very faded Eastman color elements.

Rhonda Fleming + 3-D + Widescreen + Technicolor = Pure Gold!

04-7m16s05f-OCN-2nd-CCmatch-copy.jpg

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
It was released flat in 1954 and If you saw the newly struck 35mm left/right prints of JIVARO in 2006 at the 3-D Film Expo in Hollywood, you may recall how washed-out and yellow it was from fading negatives.

Our restoration of JIVARO is very much a work-in-progress at the moment but here's a little left/right cross-eye sneak peak for you.

As you can see, Jack Theakston and Greg Kintz are working more of their amazing magic to restore some very faded Eastman color elements.

Rhonda Fleming + 3-D + Widescreen + Technicolor = Pure Gold!

04-7m16s05f-OCN-2nd-CCmatch-copy.jpg
Can we clone a few Rhondas? Instead of The Boys From Brazil it'll be The Girls From Hollywood.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks