What's new

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Correct. Many were printed in Technicolor but the only golden age 3-D features actually photographed in three strip Technicolor (Dynoptic 3-D) were Flight to Tangier and Money from Home.

Mike, thank you very much for your magnificent review. You have a way with words that is most impressive and leave me humbled and speechless.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Correct. Many were printed in Technicolor but the only golden age 3-D features actually photographed in three strip Technicolor (Dynoptic 3-D) were Flight to Tangier and Money from Home.

Mike, thank you very much for your magnificent review. You have a way with words that is most impressive and leave me humbled and speechless.

I assume that the issue with getting "Flight to Tangier" to 3D Blu-ray is scanning 6 strips of film and combining the two 3-strip elements for each eye ?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
On both films, there are existing composite elements of the right side but we would have to scan and digitally recombine YCM's of the left and that's about $30K - three times our usual budget.

We could have done FTT from a dye-transfer 35mm print of the left matched to the IP of the right (not ideal but Greg Kintz would have made it work) but the current owner, David Packard, refuses to allow access. He does not seem to care if anyone sees the film in 3-D again.

Ironically, the print was mine at one time but was sold out from under me by a film dealer who had promised to give me first right of refusal if he sold the collection. He did not.

MFH may eventually happen once it leaves Olive but there is nothing definite at the moment.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Kickstarter is not an option with Tangier. Paramount legal will not approve.

I think they have MFH until 2020.

Thanks!

mcash007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Bob, do the other Universal 3D titles have any movement? I know you had mentioned that you were looking for a region B distributor about a year back, and then the recent Kino deal that happened. Drop us a nugget of hope!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Superman-comment.jpg

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
We could have done FTT from a dye-transfer 35mm print of the left matched to the IP of the right (not ideal but Greg Kintz would have made it work) but the current owner, David Packard, refuses to allow access. He does not seem to care if anyone sees the film in 3-D again.

Isn't Packard also the guy who's now sitting on I, the Jury? Wassup with this guy?

(Feel free to treat this as a rhetorical question, Bob. I don't want to spark any hassles for you with a billionaire... ;) )

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Finished watching Sangree and was amazed at the quality you guys wrung out of these degraded prints. I really think this is your best work ever and an amazing achievement. Congratulations on another masterful restoration in the technically challenging 3D medium. It's just sad your excellent restorations have to come out at a time the industry is again kicking 3D to the curb. Suffice to say you will be heroes in the future to cinema buffs for preserving our popular 3D culture from disintegrating away in a store room somewhere. Thanks again for the pleasure of adding another "golden age" 3D feature to my video collection.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I think Mr. Packard's MO can be summed up thusly: he wants to preserve films, but he doesn't see the benefits to anything that makes them more accessible to home video audiences. Remember, this is the guy whose friendship with Steve Jobs broke up over his belief that movies shouldn't be seen on 2 1/2" screens.

While I love a proper theatrical experience, I also love the ability to see 3D films at home, as screenings in theatres are starting to wane.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks