3D Meet Bob Furmanek: HTF Golden Age 3-D Consultant

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 7, 2012.

1. 2441 Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    moviebear1

moviebear1 Stunt Coordinator

Matt Spero
    It looks like Olive has announced a flat Blu-ray of MONEY FROM HOME to be released on May 30.

I have seen this film in 3-D many times and it is very nicely staged for depth. It would be unfortunate for Olive Films to only release it flat. The cost of making a 3-D Master is minimal with the help of the 3D Archive.

They are certain to make many more sales with a 3-D release than just a flat Blu-ray.

One should not underestimate the 3D collectors community. Just this afternoon it was reveled that Disney has run out of the anticipated pressings of one of thier 3D releases.

All of the Titles the 3-D Archive has worked on also have a flat viewing option. A 2-D-only release is unacceptable.

If Olive is planing on releasing MONEY FROM HOME in 2-D, they should really re-consider their decision. Without weighing how much enthusiastic support they will receive from both 3-D fans and the collecting community in general.

3-D is the way to go with this release.

For me this is a first day buy, but only in it's 3-D format. I am not going to buy this in a flat version.

Matt Spero

Here is Olive Films contact information.

Olive Films
    1528 W Adams St
    Suite 1
    Chicago, IL 60607 USA

[email protected]

2. 2442 Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    moviebear1

moviebear1 Stunt Coordinator

Matt Spero
    opps

3. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

In November 2014, I had my first meeting with the staff of Kino Lorber in New York. I met with some very smart and talented people, including company President and CEO, Richard Lorber. I explained my decades-long crusade with stereoscopic cinema and how dedicated I was to get this material out of the vaults and seen again.

More than anyone else, they understood and agreed with our goals. It was SO exhilarating to realize that we were on the same page. Richard said he would back us up 100% and help us to secure studio licenses. Profit was not a primary motivation, he was content to break even. Not only that, whenever possible, they would secure new transfers of elements that hadn't been touched in decades.

I can't begin to tell you how refreshing it was hearing those words. For the past several years, we had received rejection after rejection from companies whose only interest was the almighty dollar. ("We don't care if it's a great or lost film, how much can we make on it?") It was a wonderful day for the Archive and since that time, Kino has released six vintage 3-D titles on Blu-ray. I'm very pleased to say there are more to come!

When I read the earlier post by our good friend, Mike Ballew, I knew that I had to share my thoughts on this matter. Please take a moment to write a note and express your appreciation to the wonderful and dedicated staff at Kino Lorber!

[​IMG]

4. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Our dear friend Trustin Howard (aka Slick Slavin from "Stardust in Your Eyes") has passed away. He was a wonderful man and a great friend, always there with an encouraging word of support. We will miss his smile and delightful sense of humor. To those who took the time to reach out earlier this month and express words of appreciation and support, you helped to brighten his final days and thank you for doing so.

Rest in peace, Mr. Howard.

Slick.JPG

5. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Oh, I'm sad to hear that. What a unique guy.

Thanks, Bob.

I'm happy to have reached out, but I believe you and others must have made his life happier for quite some time.

phillyrobt, revgen, SFMike and 2 others like this.
  6. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

His sister just said words to that effect. It put him back in the spotlight and she said that it meant a great deal to him. He was such a sweet guy!

phillyrobt and SFMike like this.
  7. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I've been sitting on the fence with A.P.E. even though I have every other Kino Lorber 3-D releases but after reading your post Bob, I will definitely now buy it as appreciation and support to KL for their enthusiasm and commitment in helping to make these 3-D films available to us.

GregK, Bob Furmanek and Mike Ballew like this.
  8. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Trustin posted this beautiful message on his Facebook page last December. It was his last public performance but you would not have known it. He got on stage and became 40 years younger. God bless him!

Trustin.JPG

GregK, phillyrobt, Brent Reid and 8 others like this.
  9. Mike Ballew

Mike Ballew Second Unit

MIKE BALLEW
    That was well and truly one of the most memorable nights of my life.

I wish I could really convey the quiet joy I felt, to sit and enjoy an extended private conversation with a man so knowledgeable, so gracious and winsome as Trustin Howard. Not even the crushing L.A. traffic, lurching us forward inch by inch, could dim our laughter, nor Trustin's remarkable trove of show business memories and life observations.

Bob is spot-on in his description of Trustin's set that night. Trustin seemed so frail and tired as we helped him climb nine or ten inches onto the slightly elevated platform that made a stage. Then Bob and I stepped off to his left and watched in wonder as Trustin lifted to his full height and the years fell away. Slick Slavin was back to wow us one more time. The crowd loved him. We all did.

Trustin was a fine entertainer and working writer who knew plenty of important and famous and interesting people in his day. But in my few hours with him one on one, I can tell you, he himself was a splendid, splendid man.

10. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

That's a very touching post, Mike. Thank you for sharing it.

He was a wonderful man.

phillyrobt and Mike Ballew like this.
  11. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    Maybe someone should start a petition like they did for LG 3D TV's . They have over 10,000 supporters.

12. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

They've screwed up plenty of other releases as well.

13. Camps

Camps Second Unit

Tom
    #Never2D

;):3dglasses:

Mike Ballew, Jimbo64 and SFMike like this.
  14. 3D Projectionist

3D Projectionist Stunt Coordinator

Lenny Dee
    Saddened to read of Trustin but its comforting to know he did get to see his performance and in 3D as well along with it now being restored and available to all to view as it was intended.

The Blu-Ray 3-D Rarities is quite a remarkable piece of work and also quite an honour to view along with the British Harmony Lane on the Sept Storm 3D BR. The only problem is I just cant stop watching A*P*E on our projected screen where he defies JAWS giant shark, destroy teeming city, demolish Ocean Liner and vanquish Monster Reptile! A really made for fun title to have in your 3D collection for sure which your eyes will not believe in the Third Dimension.

I could just see A*P*E climbing up the UK's Blackpool Tower (This is where Jerry Lewis was filming in the 90's over here)
    BPUKLD.jpg

15. Quatermass II

Quatermass II Stunt Coordinator

John Hayes
    Never expected to see a picture of Blackpool Tower on HTF - nice one, Lenny!

3D Projectionist likes this.
  16. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

17. 2457 Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    SFMike

SFMike Second Unit

Michael
    The wonderful old time days before internet trolls could take over and poison the conversation. I guess no letters to the editor telling the world how much they wanted 3D movies to fail and how annoying those glasses are. Good times.

18. 2458 Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

"If you ever have a chance to go to a screening of something restored by the 3D Film Archive, I highly recommend going because they do a truly remarkable job on their restorations. At both Gog and Those Redheads, the movie was preceded by an explanation of the challenges they faced in restoring them and we were shown before and after comparisons of their work. It’s easy to dismiss these older 3D movies off as being cheesy, but this group does an amazing job of making them look their very best."

https://hollywoodrevue.wordpress.com/2017/04/28/tcmff-2017-day-2-a-whole-lot-of-red-headed-women/

[​IMG]
    The Archive team: Jack Theakston, Bob Furmanek, Greg Kintz and Thad Komorowski

19. Camps

Camps Second Unit

Tom
    And that's a big part of the problem, I'd guess, in convincing certain distributors and rights-holders that it's worth it to spend a little extra to release '50s 3D titles in 3D rather than 2D (if at all). Too many of them probably assume, "Who would pay good money to watch this cheesy movie in 3D?"

Well, I would!

So, yes, you could call The Bubble, Stewardesses and (of course) A*P*E "cheesy." But could you call Flight to Tangier, Dangerous Mission, Phantom of the Rue Morgue, Revenge of the Creature, The Maze, Bwana Devil -- and even Gorilla at Large and Robot Monster "cheesy"? I'd take any of them in a 3D blu ray over any modern genre title.

The problem is, recalcitrant rights-holders and distributors won't take my word for it. The only way to convince them is to show them sales figures on the classic 3D blus that have been released to-date. They need to see a sufficiently attractive "hurdle rate" (in bean-counter parlance).

I'm willing to bet it's there.

Alas, talking to the gatekeepers (other than the good folks at Kino) about anything else will be a waste of breath.

It would be tragic if a single '50s 3D title for which proper materials exist did not get a reasonable shot at a 3D release. It would be the equivalent of leaving a soldier on the field...

Jimbo64 and Mike Ballew like this.
  20. SFMike

SFMike Second Unit

Michael
    The real problem in the TV manufactures and studios have sabotaged blu-ray 3D. Manufacturers have taken 3D TV production off the table in favor of 4K and the studios and retailers did a half assed job of 3D promotion (and that's being kind) so at this time to the general public 3D TV no longer exists.

Tony Bensley and Alf S like this.