What's new

Medium Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

I'm not a Ghost Whisperer "fan" but I watched the first 2 seasons or so of Ghost Whisperer on DVD during the summer when not much else was on. I could never get into waiting it on TV. I've wanted to give Medium a try, but it'll have to be via the same method... DVD's. I can't just jump into an on-going show these days... I'd rather start from the beginning and work my way up. I've no idea if I'll like Medium, but I do plan to sample early episodes at some point and see if it interests me. It really does seems a natural show to join Ghost Whisperer and Numb3rs.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Something to remember here is that the characters of Allison, Joe and the kids all have real-life counterparts. In an interview with Glenn Gordon Caron and the real Allison DuBois on the first season DVD, the two fess-up that some story-lines were culled directly from actual events in the lives of Allison and her family (although they don't specifically say which ones.) AFAIK, Allison is still married to Joe and he really is an aerospace engineer (just like on the show) so, yanking him from the cast could potentially affect Caron's ability to explore some future, real-life based, story-line. Not only that, IMO, Medium without Joe DuBois would be far less entertaining. As always, YMMV.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Season and NBC finale this coming Monday.

It was great to see Allyce Beasley in the episode Monday. I haven't seen her on TV in ages and looking at her imdb page, she has just one credit since 2004 and this one (for The Talented Ms. Boddiker) isn't even listed. She was always great as Agnes DiPesto in Moonlighting which was also a Glenn Gordon Caron show, so it was great for him to finally bring her in. I'm surprised we haven't seen Curtis Armstrong (Herbert Quentin Viola) in an episode (he did appear in a My Name Is Earl episode this year).

Meanwhile, it was a fun episode as she (Ms. Boddiker) got way in over her head and luckily did realize it before it was too late.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
It was an entertaining (albeit lightweight) episode IMO. It was pretty obvious early on how the story was going to play out and it really didn't stray from my initial assumption. I did enjoy the backstory narrative, especially the Lee Scanlon material. Now we know why he has been so "gun-shy" about his impending fatherhood. The Ariel and her sisters driving escapade was way too predictable by Medium standards, and unless there is a psychic connection between one of their dreams and Allison's, I am slowly reaching the point where the less we see of them, the better. They do still serve as the primary catalyst for marital story lines between Allison and Joe, so for that reason, I understand the necessity of their inclusion. This is, after all, primarily a show about relationships, and I think the DuBois marriage is one of the best written and performed ones in TV history.

On a positive note, Monday's ratings were up with Medium and CSI Miami in a virtual tie for the lead in total viewers at 10 p.m.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Anyone with insight as to why everyone [or just Allison, at the least, though Allison did cue Devalos in to her suspicions] let Ms. DiPesto off completely?

Stan

Senior HTF Member

I was also wondering about that. Walk off with 300K, give it back and say you're sorry, all is forgiven?

Even if the bank manager was smitten with her and didn't press charges, Allison and the DA knew the complete story. Apparently they just gave her immunity and looked the other way after she helped set up the killer.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Yeah, this is like the third or fourth time this season that the writers have (in one way or another) let the main perp get away with it, so to speak... and usually with the help of the D.A. and/or police department. I hope this trend doesn't continue because it is pretty unrealistic.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I think the immunity angle is good. Also, once they set up the real killer, they didn't really have good evidence against her without jeopardizing his case.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't think I'd call the main perp in this case -- either of the 2 real Bank Robbers qualify there particularly the really Bad Boy.

I don't the Bank Manager ever knew Ms Dipesto was a part of the crime in any way.

Technically did she steal from the bank or actually rob the Crooks? OK she qualifies for a felony, but could be at least a gray area morally. Was there any evidence other than Allison's dreams that could have convicted her if she didn't confess. Only the other thief knew for sure and any he said/she said gets her acquitted.

She moved the dead body from her house -- another crime, but she reported the body. Any actual proof if she doesn't confess, Allison's dreams can't hold up in court.

She lied about several facts to the DA office and intentionally made a bad drawing of the killer -- another ding, but how do they prove it in court.

Technically I guess she had possession of a gun and stole the crooks car, but that should qualify as self defense.

In the end she helped recover all the money and helped capture/convict the Bank Robber.

If the reason for punishing someone it to make sure it won't happen again, then I suspect she is one of the safest bets in history to never be a repeat offender.

She was at least as much a victim as perp on many levels -- being duped by the dancing crook, being ignored by the Bank Manager when she tried to prevent the crime, had her car shot up, and being was terrorized/blackmailed/almost killed by the Thief.

It's a TV show.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh my, would that be called a major cliffhanger?

Will she live, will be be Allison if she wakes up, will she be able to Dream - I guess it won't be too hard to figure out the answers. If they don't pull off the easy answers, then this may be the biggest fake out leading to a built in early cancellation in history.

And some people believe that New Coke/Coke Classic wasn't a preconceived PR stunt too.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Definitely Major Cliffhanger [salute]
They did have it so that part of the tumor was still there, so when she wakes up she should still get her dreams. Even though some of the episode was fairly predictable (someone leaked the information that was in the first useful dream and there were no other real suspects in the room when Allison announced it ... ), I was still anxious watching it all play out.

CBS could still go in several directions including moving them to San Diego.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
The best part about the NBC cancellation and CBS rescue of Medium is that we don't have to wait until February to find out what happens next!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Good riddance NBC...

mylan

Screenwriter
If that was to be the series finale, as I'm sure it was first written to be before CBS stepped in, then it rates among my top five favorite finales ever, I was deeply moved and almost to tears by the last five minutes, everything from the D.A. telling Joe she was a hero to Joe's reaction to the doctor to the montage of her frequent "awakenings". If this was it, then it would have been a fullfilling and fitting end.
With that being said, bravo to CBS for renewing it, hopefully thay can continue. A few posts back I was less than happy about the direction of the show but the last few episodes have redeemed themselves. I look forward to the new timeslot, heck they may even get me to watch "Ghost Whisperer".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks