What's new

Medium ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Did anyone else watch the premiere last night? Seeing the previews and promos to make sure we know it's based on a real person, I thought it might be another cash-in on the psychic or profiler stories.

In a way it is and it has to find its ground but it was entertaining. Patricia Arquette is cast well as a law intern who "sees" deceased people, can see the future, and read minds. (Tru Calling? The Sixth Sense?) She isn't tough as nails, but she can be as seen with the Texas Ranger, and doesn't have the perfect family life. Her interactions with her husband and children show that she's like many other families struggling to succeed.

The stories were interesting and I liked the way it ended. The titles at the beginning were a bit eyeball-roll-inducing, again to pound away that Allison is a real person. I'll give it a chance hoping that it will get stronger.

http://www.nbc.com/Medium/ (it has a good description of this episode; turn down your volume)

Next episode: Thursday, Jan. 6 (in ER's timeslot).
3rd episode: Back to Mondays starting Jan. 10.

Glenn Gordon Caron (Moonlighting, Now and Again): Creator and Executive Producer
Kelsey Grammer: Co-Executive Producer

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
It wasn't bad. Will probably watch when available. I seriously thought we were going to see Chuck Norris as she landed in TX with how long it took to show us the trucks. Thankfully, he wasn't there.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
I was wondering if someone would post something about this show. I was sceptical, but the show was entertaining and I'll probably be checking out the next few episodes.

I hope they play down the 'true story' aspect.

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
I'll be watching even though it probably won't be on long. I'm still ticked off at NBC for getting rid of Dark Skies so quickly.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Ugh. I'll probably give it one more episode next week, since I believe Rene Echevarria will be running the show with Caron and he's pretty good, but what a waste of a lot of great production values on such a thoroughly stupid idea.

I mean, just beyond my being skeptical over the whole medium thing, anyway, what is her ability? Talking to dead people, "sensing" random information, seeing the future, what? How do you make the stories anything less than arbitrary with all she can do if the story demands it? How many different ways are we going to see Miguel Sandoval repeat what the Texas Ranger said about not being able to get a search warrant based on Alison's visions?

It's too bad, because this does seem to be pretty well-made; I'd just like to think the talented people involved could do something more worthy of them.

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
They did not show a new episode tonight as promised. Instead, we got a rerun of the pilot.

Very disappointing! lm

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Yeah! It started 15 minutes ago here and even the on-screen guide describes the 2nd episode (including several online TV guides).

:thumbsdown:

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Apparently the ratings were so boffo that NBC decided to reshow the pilot and save the precious new episode for next week. Which is good in my case since I didn't get around to watching my Tivo'd copy of the pilot until tonight after when the second episode would have aired.

Overall, a good pilot but not great. Definitely has room to wow.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
Tuned in to see the new episode and was also disappointed by the repeat. Missed some of the premier Monday so watched again anyway. That first show really needed more time as it felt really fast tracked in the last 10 minutes.

Good show with some promise, but I found theTexas Ranger actor the most compelling and interesting character in the show - and he's only a one episode guest.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor

I agree. I like shows like The Dead Zone but with a little more psychic and little less psycho. Doing away with the reality requirement should make for more diverse and interesting entertainment.

Sure it would be great if there were psychics out there reliably solving mysteries to fuel this series. But how many of them could pass a test of their psychic abilities conducted by someone like James Randi?

I also hope that this program doesn’t become a murder of the week show. Do we really need another CSI: Medium to add to the list?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yep. I think that if you're going to play up a bogus science like mediums, you might as well go all the way for the fantasy fair and just make it entertaining rather then try to make it Law & Order: Ghost!

I think you just play it out in which you can maximize the creepy wierdness and play with it.. there is an audience for that (see: X-Files) rather then try to shoehorn in a fair idea into the same cookie-cutter formula as every other cop show. I've still got it on the PVR for now, I'll give it a few more tries.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
I dunno.

These first two episodes felt like 2-hour shows that were cut into an hour at the last minute. It's quirky enough to stand out, but the pacing was uneven and the heavy exposure of her home life started to feel dragged out.

Both episodes, I found myself looking at the clock and thinkng with only abouit 10 minutes left, we havn't made any real progress. I remain hopeful that it will find it's legs.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
I thought this one was a little better than the first. That said, if Patricia Arquette wasn't such a good actress I probably would have stopped watching by now.

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
I think the lead actress is kinda bland. She doesn't add any energy to her scenes. Wasn't there supposed to be a storyline about one of her kids having the powers too? what happened to that, did I just imagine the commercial with that storyline??

And I hate the husband's hair cut. He looks like he's in another decade.

Robyn

Stunt Coordinator
I actually like the show, but like a previous post stated, there is a lot of room for growth. I don't care for Allison Dubois' boss, D.A. Devalos. He seems too bland to me. However, I did enjoy Arliss Howard's portrayal of the Texas Ranger. I hope we get to see him again in the future. I've got my fingers crossed hoping this show manages to stick around.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
A good episode, although I'm hoping they will make the cases a little edgier. However, the last scene with her husband was the best!

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor

I think it's next week if I interpreted the preview correctly.

I hope her daughter having ESP gives us story lines other than murder of the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks