Medium density fiberboard

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chris Ric, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Chris Ric

Chris Ric Auditioning

Does anyone know of any speakers that have an all wood or aluminum or some other kind of enclosure material that is'nt MDF? I stay in an upstairs bonus room that gets pretty warm (but not hot)during the day and the fiberboard in my speakers is causing me to have an allergic reaction. If anyone knows of any please let me know. Until I get replacements my home theater is out of commission.

Thanks

2. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

You could also DIY with baltic birch void free plywood.

4. Ben_L

Ben_L Agent

Try Polk's RTi or LSi line of speakers.

5. DustinDT

DustinDT Agent

The Infinity Intermezzo series is made of cast aluminum.

6. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

JBL S-36II speakers are in a molded plastic housing, as is their S-CenterII.

Mark

7. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

I am curious to know how you determined that the MDF is giving you an allergic reaction. What speakers do you own?

8. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Could you be having a reaction to the stuffing on the inside?

MDF is mostly pine and glue. I guess you could be allergic to that but I thought speakers are generally sealed with paint.

I got one of those ionic breeze air filters to help with allergies. Being allergic to MDF wouldn't be good for a DIYer.

9. Chris Ric

Chris Ric Auditioning

The glue that holds the particle board together releases a toxic gas when heated called formaldehyde. MDF produces the most gas. It can cause respiratory problems if there is a high enough concentration of it in the room and the conditions are right. Most people tolerate it, but I got some new furniture for my room which was all particle board, plus I had speakers, speaker stands and a bookshelf that were all particle board too. Since my room gets warm during the day and have a lack of ventilation up there I started having a problem. I don't think it would have been so bad if I could keep my room nice and cool. If anyone would like additional info on formaldehyde check out epa.com and enter either particle board or formaldehyde in the search. I hope this helps. Thanks for your recommendations, I think I'm going to go with the JBL's. One more thing, are there any plastic or all wood sub's that anyone knows of?

Thanks

10. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

Chris -

I have a pair of S36's for sale, since I want to upgrade them to S38's (MDF enclosure). Please email me if interested.

Mark

11. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

12. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Just for the heck of it:

New Boston outdoor (non-wood [​IMG]) subwoofer: Voyager Sub12

LJ

13. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Chris Ric- I'm asthmatic and formaldehyde causes me problems too. It is in almost everything. That new car smell that everyone loves is a good deal of formaldehyde. I've taken to "gassing off" new stuff before bring it in the house. It sucks to get something new and then let it sit out in the garage for a couple months. But, I think it really helps. I learned about "gassing off" in facility management classes for hotel managers. Good hotels really try to get all the furnishing and flooring for a renovation a few months early to dissipate much of these gases. Another suggestion may be to buy used where most of the stuff has gassed off.

Maybe there is a chemist on this thread that can tell us the half-life of formaldehyde?