'Mediterraneo' : Great films on poor discs ...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Manus, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Manus

Manus Second Unit

Just watched this on a disc I got from play.com and really enjoyed it all over again. Its a very poor release really , with a pock-marked picture and 1.0 Dolby soundtrack but that did not stop me enjoying the Best Foreign Picture Winner of 1992.

However, it really annoys me that some (great) films are STILL being denied the proper treatment on dvd while the likes of Columbia churn out multiple versions of films that hardly merit it (eg.Special Edition,Deluxe Special Edition,Superbit,Superbit Deluxe,Extended yawn etc etc.Men in Black etc )

At least one of these , 'The Eye', is shortly due to get an upgrade to 5.1 , but it would be much better if releases were of a higher standard from the get-go.

Manus

P.S. Here's the link if you're interested :

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?sear...eo&page=search

2. MichaelFresca

I had a feeling this dvd would look lousy. it's been available from region 4 for awhile and I remember that dvd looking OK.

3. Ted Kontos

Ted Kontos Stunt Coordinator

I didn't think the disc looked that bad (viewing on 27" Wega). It is anamorphic and I suspect that there isn't a great source print available. It's probably the best we'll ever get.

Ted K.

4. Manus

Manus Second Unit

Never say never , Ted 1
    currently the best version of ' Malena' available seems to be the Korean R3 double-discer which has lots of documentary stuff on Disc 2 ( albeit without english subs).

Maybe they'll get around to ' Mediterraneo' one of these days too ? There was a great thread here some time ago on Special Editions/Boxsets (of the real non-Sony type [​IMG] ) and there were some fabulous sets like 'Amelie'(R2), and Big Blue (R2 Japan) so there may be hope yet [​IMG]

Manus