Medieval: Total War - how is it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Max Leung, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

http://www.totalwar.com/
    Anyone try it yet? It looks to be the only real-time strategy game, besides its predecessor, Shogun: Total War, that actually requires strategy to play. I'm tired of the Gather/Build/Kill formula pioneered by Warcraft and Command&Conquer, and I'm hoping Medieval is an incredible improvement over Shogun. The fact that you can field thousands of units is certainly more epic than the artificial limitations posed by other RTSes (I found Total Annihilation to be VERY close in that respect, however).
    I liked Shogun, but I didn't like the user interface very much, and found the strategic elements a bit shallow for my tastes. I would have loved the depth of a Kohan game with the real-time massive battles like Shogun.
    So, here's hoping Medieval lives up promises!

2. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Max,

I hope so too. I loved the old Koei games like Nobunaga's Ambition.

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Well, I just picked it up today. $60 CDN at EB. Not bad actually, when a lot of other games are at $70!

Anyhow, so far it is very promising. Very much like Shogun, but the strategic elements are fleshed out and very detailed. I like it so far. And, you can pick from 12 factions, muslim, christian, or orthodox. I can see a lot of replayability here.

Also, sieges are a real treat. Perhaps not as good as Stronghold (never played it), but very nice indeed.

I really appreciate the details with troop moral...they even notice if their flanks are protected! This is probably the most detailed RTS game to date, and it has a good epic feel.

Gonna have to find time to play this sucker more. When I do, I'll tell you more impressions!

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

This is a fantastic game. The detail can be overwhelming at times. For example, there is this annoying Catholic Bishop running around Egypt trying to convert my islamic populations, and dammit he got 10% of them! I need to rearrange my building construction and hire an assassin to off him. It would suck to suffer a provincial revolt! However, doing so would delay my development of special units (horse cavalry, heavy knights, etc.).
    And in the battles, I took too much time getting my troops into position, that a sandstorm blew in and generally made a mess of things. Fortunately, I outnumbered the enemy 2-to-1, and I routed him. Take that, Almhomeds! (I'm playing the Egyptian Caliphate).
    I'll have to hurry before the Crusaders spill over from Byzantium and France into my territories...
    Folks, this is probably the best strategy game ever made.
    Reviews:
    Gamespot gives a score of 8.7
    IGN gives a score of 8.9