Medicus 2000 golf aid

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Slade, Jun 25, 2002.

1. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

I want a training aid to work with at the range etc. and at home. The medicus seems like a decent idea. Has anyone here used one, what did you think.

I have swung weighted clubs but I think I am strong enough that I can swing just as badly with them as a regular club, thats why I'd like to try something else. Why works for you.
    Yes I take lessons, I just want something else to play with.

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I'm with you James. I thought the Medicus was very cool, I just couldn't justify the $

Last year at The Remax Long Drive one of the guys (Jason Zubac?) used a rubber club and put the ball more than 300 yards.

Must be the tempo!

Brent

3. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

I'm a fan of the Kalassy (sp?) swing magic. teaches boatloads about rhythm, tempo, and momentum. Those are the universal constants to a good golf swing.

Medicus seems like it'd force your swing into a predetermined "groove" that may or may not work for you. A lot of people with non-classic swings are very good golfers (e.g., Jim Furyk), but could never use it.

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I haven't used the new Medicus with two joints, but I own the previous one-jointed one. I didn't think it would do much for me, my wife got it for me for $5 from somewhere and I hadn't heard of it before that, but it did work for me.

Yes, it gives you a "predetermined groove", but I'd wager that for most average golfers that's a good thing. It certainly was for me. It helped me get a consistency in my swing which almost COMPLETELY erased all those terrible, awful flub shots that I used to make.

What really amazed me was that even though the club is jointed, when hit correctly the ball flies as if hit by a regular club. It really made me realize how important the technique is, and that strength comes second.

/Mike

5. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

Actually I just ordered the double hinged one for my father and myself. Should come in next week. Ill let u know-- Mike

6. eric holm

eric holm Stunt Coordinator

One thing I've heard about the Medicus is that it is almost frustrating for the average golfer because of the precision required to maintain the exact angles.

As the older one only had one joint, perhaps it was easier.

On tool that I've seen used by a range of golfers is the swing jacket. One fellow in my weekly game has eliminated a nasty slice and subsequently added about 15-20 yards of distance.

Another guy I work with is a 2 hdcp. He tried the jacket and said it felt just like his swing. Pretty good endorsement.

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Don't know how the double-hinged one is, but the single-hinge one was frustrating in the beginning, but after a little practice it was almost harder to get it to NOT be straight... [​IMG] nBut yeah, right off the bat it seemed like it was all wrong, and the swing felt weird, probably because it wasn't very good.
    /Mike

8. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

So has anyone used one of these clubs and gotten positive results? Getting on plane seems like a good idea to me, and this seems to do that? Has it improved your game?

9. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Cut and paste from a posting I made today:
    I just bought the Swing Magic and played a day later and saw an immediate improvement - to the tune of ~6 strokes! And I've only played with this thing for about 15 minutes! The biggest improvement is my monster slice of the tee box has been all but eliminated. Yeah, I'm still going a little too far right (10-15 yards) but it's no longer a slice and is probably a grip or alignment issue.
    Checkout www.golftipsmag.com for other training aids, as well as www.golfclubreview.com