What's new

Medical Panel Urges FDA Approval Of iBot Wheelchair (1 Viewer)

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Without sounding like a heartless bastard, I want to say that I wish I had a need for one. It looks pretty cool...especially with a Laptop PC and wireless connection. :D

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Tell me, with the segway wheels down below, what's the point of having those other two sets of wheels? Seems like unnecessary wheelage to me....

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Tell me, with the segway wheels down below, what's the point of having those other two sets of wheels? Seems like unnecessary wheelage to me....
Well, one of the main benefits of the extra wheels is being able to climb stairs. Those wheels can flip over each other and slowly climb and desend stairs. Plus, a handicapped person may not be able to keep the Segway balanced enough to keep it in one spot. Also, with the 4 wheels, it can drive over obstacles alot better than the Segway can. (Curbs, etc...)

I've seen this thing in motion on a T.V. special and the FDA REALLY need to approve this thing. It makes conventional electric wheelchairs look absolutely worthless.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I fear that it won't benefit too many people who would need it, this contraption has to cost a fortune.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
$29,000 is more like a luxury item. If you or your family is well-off and you become disabled, you're in luck.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
The high price will many times be offset by insurance companies and charities. Eventually it will go down in price as production ramps up.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Shawn C... I'd really like to see this thing go upstairs, because I just can't picture it. The other sets of wheels are SO high up... and obstacles? it's still only got two wheels on the ground. I'd like to see that tv spot you did. I think it's a great product if it does what it says it does.

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,
You can download video clips of all the chair's functions (including stair climbing and 2 wheel balancing) at the following address:
Link Removed
Once you see the videos it will be much easier to understand how $29,000 seems like a STEAL for this machine. It reminds me of the Arthur Clarke quote "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Watching the iBot in action is really like watching magic. Dean Kamen is a man who I hold in the highest regard.

Users who are viewing this thread