Media storage and retrieval systems

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Terri Lee, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Terri Lee

Terri Lee Auditioning

I would like to copy all my Cd's and DVDs onto some kind of media storage system that is connected to my theater system.

I don't want a desktop right beside by my TV but I do have a cat-5 connection real close if I could connect somehow though the network.

Can someone direct me somewhere so I can research what type of systems are out there and compatibility with what we have?

Also, what do they call these systems? I don't even know what to search for...

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Ask your question here, Terri -- in A/V Sources. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level, not specific model purchasing advice.

As for copying DVDs, you have a slight Macrovision thing to deal with. Prerecorded, commercial DVD titles are not intended for copying.

3. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Terri, do you mean like a system used to backup computer server data? If you are, then you are probably talking about either DAT storage or mass optical backup media. I am not aware of any stand alone systems but if you have a PC that is powerful enough, you might be able to do this. However, copyright protection may not allow you to copy the material you wish to. Anyway, check out www.exabyte.com. I use these products on the network I manage at work and they work great.[​IMG]