1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Media storage and retrieval systems

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Terri Lee, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Terri Lee

Terri Lee Auditioning

I would like to copy all my Cd's and DVDs onto some kind of media storage system that is connected to my theater system.

I don't want a desktop right beside by my TV but I do have a cat-5 connection real close if I could connect somehow though the network.

Can someone direct me somewhere so I can research what type of systems are out there and compatibility with what we have?

Also, what do they call these systems? I don't even know what to search for...

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Ask your question here, Terri -- in A/V Sources. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level, not specific model purchasing advice.

As for copying DVDs, you have a slight Macrovision thing to deal with. Prerecorded, commercial DVD titles are not intended for copying.

3. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Terri, do you mean like a system used to backup computer server data? If you are, then you are probably talking about either DAT storage or mass optical backup media. I am not aware of any stand alone systems but if you have a PC that is powerful enough, you might be able to do this. However, copyright protection may not allow you to copy the material you wish to. Anyway, check out www.exabyte.com. I use these products on the network I manage at work and they work great.[​IMG]