What's new

Media Software experiences? (1 Viewer)

Battledad

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
As I prep for moving from Satellite to OTA + Internet I'm finishing up my htpc. I've played with WMC, XBMC, MediaPortal, Plex and several others. I ran across the JRiver Media software and after noting it is basically $50 after the 30 day trial I began researching the differences between JRiver and other products. So far I find JRiver is be easier to use, more intuitive and broader in scope. It appears I can easily open a browser, watch TV, watch my movies, stream, play music and use the htpc as a recorder for OTA programming Anyone have experiences with JRiver specifically or other similiar software? Looking for something simple and dependable with good quality. I'm even considering buying their remote for $41.

TK423

Grip
Real Name
Cory
XBMC is a spectacular program and it has the equally spectacular benefit of being free. That being said, sleek as XBMC can look, it does have a bit of a learning curve and isn't always necessarily user friendly. XBMC is just now starting get support for Live TV as well. I'm not familiar with JRiver myself. I've heard it's a good program but I myself couldn't justify paying for it when there are so many solid, free, open source alternatives. This is only one opinion. Like I said, I've heard JRiver is a good program that is apparently much more approachable then XBMC and as of right now it's live television feed support may be better, I'm not sure.

Battledad

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm pretty computer savy and I find XBMC to be less the intuitive or friendly. So far JRiver has been easy to set up, the live TV (with recording) is straight forward. I realize there are other "free" solutions but sometimes free has a higher cost than buying. This unit will be used by a wide range of users so simplicity and ease of use are critical.

TK423

Grip
Real Name
Cory
I can't comment on JRiver, having never used it, but I can say it seems like most people have a little bit of trouble with XBMC the first time they are handed a remote so JRiver's approachability and easy of use may be better for your setup and users. Maybe post later on your thoughts on JRiver. Be interested to hear.

Battledad

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
Is it easy (using WMC + Mediabrowser) to record programing? I glanced through the Mediabrowser info and didn't see anything. I do seem to remember that WMC allows recording of OTA content. For the WMC + MB combo what are the key pros and cons based on your experience? What would you like to have in that combo that you don't?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks