Media Servers

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Steve F M, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Steve F M

Steve F M Screenwriter

What do I need to be able to transfer movies from my PC from say a servive like Movielink( A Site that you can download movies onto your Hard Drive for a 24hr period) to my Projector downstairs. This would have to be done wirelessly. Any Media servers out there that would do this? I was looking at the D-Link Media Server but I'm not sure if that would work or not. I would also like to use Rhapsody music service to my receiver also with the Media Server.

So is there any Media server out there that would provide me with a solution?

Thanks

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

The DLink unit will do what you want. I got one for Christmas, but have only used it a couple of times. I apparently got a defective unit and it bit the dust while I was trying to upgrade the firmware. My replacement is on the way....

Anyway, from the bit I did get to play with it, it seemed to work well. It offers a wired or wireless connection and is a snap to set up. Video quality is very good and the variety of connections suprised me for the $$ paid.

3. Steve F M

Steve F M Screenwriter

D-Link won't transfer the Movielink movies? It says on the Movielink website that there service will work with wireless transmission. Any idea of what format they use? Doesn't say on there website. Is there any solution out there right now that would allow me to stream these movies from my computer to my Projector? (preferably via wireless but i could run an ethernet cable if I had to)

Thanks

4. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Depends what format the Movielink movies are in. It should, unless they're in an odd format. You can go to the Dlink website and download the instruction manual for the media server. The formats it will stream are listed.

5. Steve F M

Steve F M Screenwriter

I got the formats D-Link supports but I can't find out what format Movielink uses. Its nowhere on there site.

I'm thinking of now getting the Windows Media 2005 Software to replace XP and buying the Xbox Media Extender as my solution. Any thoughts on these items.

I've read mixed reviews on the Xbox Media Extender ($60) but don't want to spend the extra money for a dedicated hardware Media Extender ($300)

6. Steve F M

Steve F M Screenwriter

Anone using Windows Media Center Software and either the Xbox Media extender or the another Windows Media Extender?

7. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I'm using Media Center 2005 and two media extenders.

The only downfall of all the media extenders is: can't play DiVX, can't play MP4 formats, which is what I archive a lot of stuff in. *shrug*

8. Steve F M

Steve F M Screenwriter

Chris

Does WMC support some type of online Movie Rental System.. I was reading about it somewhere and was wondering if you have ever used it?

What type of extenders are you using?

9. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

It does support several online rental systems. Never used them, supposedly, one is coming that is in HD.. I might try that.

Anyway, for extenders, I'm using 1 linksys and 1 that is also a PC running MCE as an extender [​IMG]

10. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Unfortunately, it seems to be illegal to use mod chips on Xboxes in the land of the lawsuit free; a modified Xbox running Xbox Media Center (has nothing to do with Microsoft; see http://www.xboxmediacenter.de) is a brilliant movie- and musicplayer...

11. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Agreed.

I just set this up over the weekend.
    I had been looking at a few different Media Servers including the D-link and a unit by Roku. Reviews were mixed on both products. I wanted to wirelessly stream content from my PC to my new Samsung DLP tv, which is another part of the house.

I have a modded Xbox and have been using Xbox Media Center and like it for the most part. Then I read about the Linksys Wireless Gaming Adapter and bought one last week. I hooked it up and it works great.

I can now wirelessly connect to my PC and stream mp3s, video files (avi, mpg, wmv, divx, etc..), recorded tv shows, jpeg pictures, and DVDs using Xbox Media Center.

Xbox Media Center is a nice, free program which works good for the most part. You do need a modded Xbox for it to work though. The only negative so far is that the Xbox itself can be a bit noisy. I'd like to replace the fan with a quieter one.

12. Kimmo Jaskari

The fan doesn't bother me, but the hard drive does. Fortunately, XBMC can be set to spin down the harddrive after a set period; 20 seconds seem to work for me. As long as you are streaming the media off the network from a network share, the harddrive stays off and the Xbox is easily quiet enough for me.

Of course, I use it to feed a projector with a fan that already adds a fair bit of noise to the room so that may be why the xbox noise doesn't bother me.

13. Steve F M

Steve F M Screenwriter

How about using the Xbox as a media extender with the software disk that Microsoft sells for $60. i know you have to keep the disk in but I would have no idea how to mod my xbox and get the XBMC on the harddrive

14. John_Bonner

Assuming you have a Windows Media Center PC (which I think you said you do) the Xbox extender looks like it would do what you want. Modding your Xbox (generally) involves taking it apart and either soldering a wire or two, or installing a "mod chip". This voids your warranty and usually doesn't allow you to participate on Xbox Live if you're into that sort of thing. But it opens up a whole new world of possibilities with the Xbox.

15. Kimmo Jaskari

I'm afraid I don't have the Xbox where I'm currently sitting so I don't have access to the menus. It's not hidden though, it was in the menus, probably under the generic settings rather than the video- or sound-specific settings.

Unless of course you're running an old build of XBMC that doesn't have it but it's been in there for quite a while.

16. John_Bonner

Thanks. I found it last night.

17. Michael G Jones

Michael G Jones Stunt Coordinator

I haven't been on in ages.

Whats the word on the DLink DSM-320? Aside the clunky controls how is the audio handled?

My setup at the new house...
    PC1 upstairs (wireless) - computer with extended display to tv. (note : no comfortable chairs to sit for an extended time and watch a movie)

PC2 basement - computer connected to cable service via 4 port Wireless Router, XBOX also connected

I am looking at the DLINK DSM-320 to install on the living room tv and add files from both computers upstairs & downstairs. Then I can watch movies on a comfortable couch.

Verdict.....

18. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

It seems to to very well with audio files. The only drawback I've seen to date is that it's kindof picky with the video files it will play.

DLink does seem to release firmware ugrades for it fairly regularly that takes care of some incompatibility issues, but it still rejects quite a few video files.

Granted, if you're creating your own files you won't have that problem.