What's new

Media Play is closing all its stores (1 Viewer)

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Heard on the news today that Media Play is shutting down all 61 of its stores sometime after the holidays. Doesn't surprise me as the stores around here never seem to be doing much business and their prices are always higher then other stores.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
We lost the one we had 7 or 8 years ago when they resized. They were the only store in town that carried LDs (pre DVD). I still miss Media Play.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Does this mean they'll be doing a going out of business sale? It's not quite right to think about my collection when this is happening...but I am. We can all prolly get some really good stuff for rather cheap...

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Yes, they always had higher prices & this really hurt. I only bought DVDs there for a while to use their points program.

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Yes indeed, a going out of business sale; most items at 20% off today. Shopping wisely you may find bargains (especially on "catalogue" items that have been at stable prices for a while). As always, balance the possibility of deeper discounts later versus the selection now.

My sympathy to the employees; I've been part of a chain that went down (another field altogether).

All best wishes - Dave

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Don't get too excited. Somebody I know who works at one of the stores told me that management has started to have them "thin out" the stock by sending the good stuff back to the warehouse so it can be sold in their other chains. He said that the company is willing to sell at 20% off just to save them the trouble of moving it all, but the night before they start discounting to 25 or 30% most of the better goods are going on the truck and there won't be much of anything of value left. My suggestion is if you see something at 20% off, grab it now or otherwise it just may vanish into the night.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Oh well, I might have to take a trip out there on Friday and see if I can pick up anything good for cheap(er).

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"Somebody I know who works at one of the stores told me that management has started to have them "thin out" the stock by sending the good stuff back to the warehouse so it can be sold in their other chains."

That's pretty messed up. I did check out their 'clearance sale' which was a big joke.

Take MSRP for any DVD and subtract 20% and that's what you're going to get at the store. Their prices are NOW just getting to what Best Buy or Circuit City normally have their prices.

The deals are not in the DVDs or CDs but the posters and poster frames which I picked up for cheap. I picked up one of those Star Wars 3-D lenticular posters for $5.99 which I thought was a good price. I also picked up Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas for about $6 and a poster frame for $10.xx

Just have to look around.

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Yeah, you're right. I checked out the local store tonight and much to my surprise they still had a lot of good DVDs, but as you said the 20% off is based on the MSRP and not their old selling price so it really comes out to about 10%. As I said in my earlier post, from what I hear, when the discounts get deep the good stuff will no longer be around.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Being someone who currently still works at one, I can tell you that the one I'm still working at was one of the ones that was actually making money. We were almost always busy and there were always costumers. It was definately a store for convenience and not the best price. (Just on the record, I worked at the Ross Park Mall location here in Pittsburgh).

A news flash that I thought you guys might wanted to be aware of, the price has now dropped to 30% off, and supposedly, the rumor is that the next price drop is today. I won't know for sure until I go in this afternoon at 4, but if it is any lower, I'll make sure I come back up here and inform you.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
It's currently 40% off and the rumor is another price drop will happen sometime next week. I'll keep you up to speed about future developments.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks