What's new

Media Play going out of business chainwide -- 20% off all DVDs (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Their prices are so high I'm still going to have to wait until they come down further -- which I suspect they will.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They do have a good selection of Anime, but their prices are ridiculous. I had stopped in at my local one and the one thing that was not marked down was the Anime....:angry:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Went in last night and found one thing I hadn't found before or anywhere else, so I grabbed it.

When they do their 50% off sale, then I'll be back to clean them out.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I'd imagine that they'll be shipping their inventory of DVDs back to their warehouses (so Sam Goody and Suncoast can use it) before they drop the prices on DVDs that low. At 30% off, they're just not making as much profit on them. At 50% off, they'll start losing money.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I just don't understand how these stores can charge so close to MSRP on DVDs these days when BB, CC, Target, Wal-Mart, etc. sell them so much cheaper. Do they really think that many people are going to buy them there? No wonder this place is closing. Blockbuster Music/Wherehouse Music closed in this area a few years ago. I don't have a Media Play near me, but we do have Sam Goody and Suncoast at some of the nearby malls. Occasionally they'll have some decent deals but mostly not. The only time I bought something was when I had a $25 SG gift card.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I picked up 4 CDs yesterday for about $12 - they screwed up on one of them and charged me $1.50 too much but it's not worth it to go back for the difference - CHECK THOSE RECEIPTS BEFORE YOU LEAVE.

George_C

Auditioning

When Suncoasts were closing a few years back, I thought the same thing...that is until I walked in and bought DVD's for 75% off, then 90% off on the last day. There's a good chance the discount could get pretty considerable.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Because those other major retailers make their profits from selling you other more expensive items while you buy dvds at a loss from them.

Crawdaddy

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I walked in last week, but left soon after... as 20% of their prices isn't really much of a bargain. Their DVDs (especially sets) need to be at least 30% off to really be anything worthwhile.

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
Walked in today and the DVD's were at 30% off with books at 20%. They looked well picked over at this point. I would usually take my mother to MediaPlay, I would go through the bargain bins and the sale DVD's (and occasionally there were some good sales) while she stocked up on mysteries and historicals to read.

They took my gift card as well as the Replay certificates. The cashier said point blank, they did not honor the replay cards/membership any more and if I had any questions to call a phone number about it. Which I will likely do later this week.

As for Sam Goody, I usually get my godmother a MediaPlay gift Card for Christmas since she has a Sam Goody like 10 minutes from her house in Massachusetts. Or rather had since she told me that it closed several months ago.

I have a Best Buy, Circuit City, and Target with about a half dozen Wal-Marts within 20 miles (1/2 hour) of my house as well as Borders and Barnes & Noble. The thing that really drew me to MP was that my mom could get her books at the same time. The only one that has similar diversity is Borders. I'd rather sit in the coffeeshop while she shops.

Bonnie

MarkDude

Stunt Coordinator
I like the huge banners they have throughout the stores now. "30% - 50% OFF EVERYTHING...Limited Exclusions Apply". Apparently, the "limited exclusions" include books, video games, UMD movies, and electronics, all of which are 20% off. Honestly, why not just say "20% - 50% off everything"???

Jimi C

Screenwriter
A very short blurb in the local news the other day about Media Play. This is from the Buffalo, Ny CBS affiliates webpage. (WIVB)

"(December 22, 2005) - - A popular local store chain is being investigated for cheating customers out of their money.

The State Attorney General's office is looking into whether Media Play is marking up prices before the going out of business liquidation.

It is illegal to bring in new items to supplement a sale.

Media Play just recently announced it will be closing all of its stores next year."

Patrick.C

Second Unit
It probably can, as I doubt that you'll find much that you want. The inventory is pretty well picked over at this point. A lot of people bought stuff at 20-30% off that really wasn't much of a deal.

MarkDude

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if in their final weeks, Media Play will be selling their in-store storage units and displays...Their video game shelves would really fit in with the decor of my game room. I've seen some stores going out of business do this and others not. Do you think MP will? Anyone with inside information know?

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Mark, the Cincinnati Mills location is now offering their shelving and fixtures for sale. No price tags on anything, but there was a sign indicating that there will be a 10% buyer's premium added to those sales.

MarkDude

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info, David. I went today and picked up a cool Xbox 360 display/stand for only $55 ($40 after my Replay certificate). Certainly one of the coolest things I've ever bought at that store.

Users who are viewing this thread