What's new

Media library-tracking software? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What's recommended for media-library tracking software? My wife is using an iPhone app for logging our books and discs. But the library is isolated to the app; it's not shareable online or readily synced to my phone.

Is there anything good now? Ideally, it would have an iOS app component that scans UPC codes, and able to share the library via the cloud or website. If it interacted with Emby or Trakt.tv, that would be great.

Doesn't have to be free.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
DVDProfiler is a windows database with iOS version and ability to save your collection online.

The iOS version was 8.99 (more or less) when I bought it. The windows version was free with a more deluxe version for $25. The free version has been restricted in recent years and I think the paid version has gone up.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
What's recommended for media-library tracking software? My wife is using an iPhone app for logging our books and discs. But the library is isolated to the app; it's not shareable online or readily synced to my phone.

Is there anything good now? Ideally, it would have an iOS app component that scans UPC codes, and able to share the library via the cloud or website. If it interacted with Emby or Trakt.tv, that would be great.

Doesn't have to be free.
Blu-Ray.com has a free one!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I use My Movies - there's a free and paid app for the iOS devices (paid was only like $5 if I remember correctly). There's also a desktop version that you can download with it, and a free web version where you can give out a link and friends can browse your library.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I use Delicious Library. They have a companion app for iOS called Delicious Scanner. The scanner app works really well.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks! I've heard of all of these, back when this stuff was all the rage almost a decade ago. Glad to hear they're still available. I've got some research and demo-ing to do.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
FWIW, I've used both Delicious and My Movies and found that My Movies was simpler, while Delicious offered more options.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's good to know. I'm surprised by the wealth of platforms supported by My Movies. They seem to have an application for everything.

It's not obvious at first read which of the applications would serve me better: DM, My Movies, or DVD Profiler.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've been using DVD Profiler for years and have been very happy with it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've used several things over the years, but none of them stuck for various reasons (e.g. used DVD Profiler, but then switched to Mac; used a web-based one, but it ceased development). I finally just went with a Google Sheet that keeps the basics, but I may give My Movies a try.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I use an Access database to keep track of my movies. It was the only way I could find to get the flexibility I wanted with reports.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've been using DVD Profiler for years and have been very happy with it.

Same here. I have both the Windows version and the Android app. I like the feature where you can track each time you watch a title, and then set up filters to show which titles you have not yet watched. It helps us decide what to watch -- looking for films we have not seen in several years.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm a DVD Profiler guy, Dave.

Ideally, it would have an iOS app component that scans UPC codes, and able to share the library via the cloud or website. If it interacted with Emby or Trakt.tv, that would be great.

Doesn't have to be free.

Based on this criteria in your OP, I'm not sure about the middle part but adding titles via scanning on an iPhone is easy-as-pie. And accessing/sharing the collection is also easily done. Same with syncing it over various devices. I keep it up-to-date on both my phone and my Windows laptop.

They haven't updated the software much recently, but they still DO update it on occasion.

I've owned the software a really long time and don't come close to tapping its full potential. But it is easy-to-use and does all I have asked of it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Talked with the wife. Delicious Monster is out. She needs an iPhone app. I sent her links to My Movies and DVD Profiler. But both of these may also be out as they appear to be movie-only. She's currently using an app that's all media: movies, music, books, boardgames. This app still works, but there are concerns it's not being maintained.

Thanks for the input. I'll see if MM or DVDP get her attention, or if I need to search more broadly for an inventory app.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I sent her links to My Movies and DVD Profiler. But both of these may also be out as they appear to be movie-only. She's currently using an app that's all media: movies, music, books,

Now THAT'S a horse of a different color!

There IS also similar (to DVD Profiler)--CD Profiler (for music). But I have no personal knowledge of specialized software that tracks book collections.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
But both of these may also be out as they appear to be movie-only.

I don't think it's accurate to say MyMovies is movie only, but probably fair to say that it's DVD/Blu-ray/HD-DVD/UHD only. They have listings for TV titles, as well as music and concert discs. If there's a title that has a combination of CDs and DVDs, they'll have it. And it's very easy to submit a missing title.

You're absolutely right that you can't scan books into it. But I just wanted to clarify that it supports all kinds of video discs, not just ones with movies on them.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This app still works, but there are concerns it's not being maintained.

I don't mean this to sound as teasing, but it sounds like your wife is in a similar boat to the one I'm in for a potential new computer purchase - that the existing thing works absolutely fine for our needs, and the so-called upgrade removes functionality that's important to us. For me, it's the new computers not having the drives or connections that I'd like, for her, it's having an all-media app discontinued and replaced with apps that only do certain kinds of media. I share the frustration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks