What's new

Media Closet & speaker placement? (1 Viewer)

Rodney Yates

Auditioning
Real Name
Rodney
I am finally trying to figure out the last parts of my home theater. Since I have to run power and speaker wire I have been putting it off for way to long. First to describe what I have right now.

Projector - Optoma HD25e

120" motorized screen

Receiver - Marantz NR1604

Front L/R Towers - Pioneer SP-FS52-LRC

Center - Pioneer SP-C22

Surrounds - Dayton Audio B652 Originally bought for stereo music listening

Subwoofer - Pioneer SW8MK2

I am trying to decied where to put the surround sound speakers or maybe even get in wall speakers.

Also trying to decide whether to make a built in media cabinet under the stairs or to move it all to my server space.

Here is my oddly shapped room that I want to fill with sound. There is a pole somewhat in the center and there is a portion of dropped ceiling for the A/C vent and return line. The projector is mounted slightly behind the couch.

media room.png

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I would go with an all tower speaker arrangement.

Is your screen AT?

If yes, a 5th AJ.

The 4/5 should go half way from from where you have it now(where marked 26') and the door for the garage. The other side, if a tower speaker, could simply be sat right on the floor in the correct spot.

Rodney Yates

Auditioning
Real Name
Rodney
schan1269 said:
I would go with an all tower speaker arrangement.

Is your screen AT?

If yes, a 5th AJ.

The 4/5 should go half way from from where you have it now(where marked 26') and the door for the garage. The other side, if a tower speaker, could simply be sat right on the floor in the correct spot.

My screen is motorized and placed over a triple wide window that is the only source of light other that what comes from the stairwell. So no speakers behind it. It is mounted right behind curtains and you can't tell there is a screen with the curtains drawn. The center speaker is currently sitting on the sub that is directly under the screen.

For the right surround your saying I should place a tower speaker out in the open? That would never get the wife aproval and the kids would tear it up.

For the left I probably can't do that either as we have a coat rack/shoe thing next to the door that my wife won't want to get rid of to put a speaker there.

Also towers are expensive, especially to use them as surrounds.

I was thinking of putting them on the far wall, mounted on either side of the bookshelves.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Rodney Yates said:
For the right surround your saying I should place a tower speaker out in the open?

I was, yes.

That would never get the wife aproval and the kids would tear it up.

Then it could be moved to the very far wall.

For the left I probably can't do that either as we have a coat rack/shoe thing next to the door that my wife won't want to get rid of to put a speaker there.

Somewhere along there. 4/5 are supposed to be 115° from center, not 90°. So somewhere between, closer to 100 the better.

Also towers are expensive, especially to use them as surrounds.

The Guillotines
Underword: Awakening
Interstellar
The Dark Knight
Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Master and Commander
Football and baseball on Fox

All beg to differ.

I was thinking of putting them on the far wall, mounted on either side of the bookshelves.

Towers would be simpler than mounting anything. Awful big room for a tiny speaker anywhere. Already hampered by a relatively low power AVR and inefficient speakers (never been a fan of the AJ for that very reason)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My recommendations are always predicated on using the largest speakers in all locations to can afford/have room for.

I already know a guy with a 7/1/4 Dolby Atmos set up with seven Magnepan 3.7 and four 1.7.

Rodney Yates

Auditioning
Real Name
Rodney
Towers would be simpler than mounting anything. Awful big room for a tiny speaker anywhere. Already hampered by a relatively low power AVR and inefficient speakers (never been a fan of the AJ for that very reason)

I'm already going to be running wires in the walls for Video and Power. Putting one or two screws in the wall is trivial. Not to mention not taking any floor space, that otherwise would displace current funiture and be targets for 2 toddlers.

When I got the setup my father-in-law was working at Best Buy and I was able to get the front/center/sub and receiver for less than the price of the receiver itself. I liked the small size and audio EQ correction. Practically all the reviews I saw were good for the speakers. The receivers and speakers can already fill the room with sound. I already can't turn it up as loud as I want because the wife normally complains.

How about going 7.1 with in ceiling speakers (either in the center of the drop down ceiling or behind the seats) and the rear surrounds on the back wall.

Pic before I got a little cabinet to put in the corner and before the sub. Thinking of making a built in cabinet on that right wall. Could possibly make a spot for the sub too.

q8rpBze.jpg

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Could possibly make a spot for the sub too.
Have you determined the best location for the sub? Room location of a single sub always determines how it will sound at the seating location. You could move it a few feet one way and get blasted with bass in your favorite seat or you could end up on a null and have little to no bass at all. To even out the bass, a lot of people put a sub in the front corner and another along the side wall. In a room that large you could use 3 or 4 subs and definitely larger ones (depending on your goals).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
In ceiling would simplify things(although, in ceiling/wall get zero love cause they are a compromise).

If you get real ambitious, you could get powered in-ceiling that pop out and point in the direction of the sweet spot...then retract when you want ambient all around the room sound.

Depends how much money and gee-whiz you want to throw at it...

Rodney Yates

Auditioning
Real Name
Rodney
Robert_J said:
Have you determined the best location for the sub? Room location of a single sub always determines how it will sound at the seating location. You could move it a few feet one way and get blasted with bass in your favorite seat or you could end up on a null and have little to no bass at all. To even out the bass, a lot of people put a sub in the front corner and another along the side wall. In a room that large you could use 3 or 4 subs and definitely larger ones (depending on your goals).

I have already found it works great in the right corner next to the screen from all the seats that would care. I'm not looking at earth shattering bass (will no one think of the children?). Some time later I may add one to the back but don't think it needs it. I would be more likely to add a buttkicker.

schan1269 said:
In ceiling would simplify things(although, in ceiling/wall get zero love cause they are a compromise).

If you get real ambitious, you could get powered in-ceiling that pop out and point in the direction of the sweet spot...then retract when you want ambient all around the room sound.

Depends how much money and gee-whiz you want to throw at it...

Can you elaborate on the zero love? Just infinite baffle inefficiency? No love for invisible and zero footprint?

Never heard of the retractable speakers, need to look them up even though I don't think I would care for the elaborate price I am sure they are not worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks