What's new

Media Closet Size? (1 Viewer)

Jeffreybomb

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
What's an appropriate measurement, depth and width, for a storage closet (for lack of a better word) for a home theater? I'll be running all my components out of this space, I just want to make sure I'm not building it too small.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
To clarify, that's not a media closet. It's an equipment closet. Big difference. I suggest making the shelves 24" deep and at least 24" wide, so you can turn gear to access the back. Also install fan powered, temp regulated cooling.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Real Name
Wayne
The closet needs to be wide enough to squeeze past the equipment rack / shelving to access the rear connections, and comfortably deep enough to permit making the connections once you get back there. I’d say at least 4’ wide by 6’ deep. I’m on the thin side, so take that into account.

If you aren't going to make the closet deep enough to allow rear access and intend to turn the rack around to access connections, then the closet needs to be as wide as the rack's diagonal measurement, plus a little extra.

As John mentioned, ventilation can be an issue with amplifiers in a small closet.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There's no right answer. There are details to keep in mind as John and Wayne have noted.

Obviously, determine your likely equipment list (AVR pre-processor, two or three amps, UHD Disc Player, Streaming box, DVR, Game Console,...). Estimate their sizes and space needed. Calculate shelf / rack space needed. Add in a storage drawer or space for remote controls, spare batteries, misc cables, 3D glasses, video games, etc. Allow for room for future hardware additions if you're starting small now.
  • Is the equpiment in the theater or outside it? Outside, if possible, is often the best. They're not putting their heat or any fan noise or even their lighted displays into the theater. Cabling and remote control can all be run from an external closet into the theater as needed. This might give freedom to have less concern over final finish quality of the control rack and easier access to the rack if it's not part of the finished theater room.
  • Keep in mind access for initial connections and future upgrades.
    • A closet with front and rear access allows for fixed shelves. I've seen this done both inside and outside the theate room. If inside, the front control face is inside the theater and the rear connections and heat output are outside the room
    • A front-access closet with moveable shelves or self-contained rack on wheels, allowing access to the equipment for wiring and upgrades. In this case, plan for the extra service length of the cables needed.
    • Another approach is simply equipment on shelves, maybe with nice finshed shelves even with cabinet doors. In this case, all the wriing is possibly done in wall. The equipment is easily accessed on their shelves.

The other issue is where does your media go? Do you have shelves of disc and videogames? Do you want those in the movie room? What's your purchase rate, how much empty space do you need for the next five years purchases? Or have you gone all streaming and you need little or no media space?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dulourd
Recent bookmarks