media center 2004 to 2005; worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ed Kerns, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Ed Kerns

Ed Kerns Agent

Last year I bought an HP PC with Media Center 2004 installed. I've since sent for and recieved the 2005 upgrade, but I'm hesitant to install. The 2004 works great, but microsoft says in order to use an extender, I must have 2005. Has anyone been through this?
    Also, I'm curious if anyone has used the xbox as an extender. I already own one and if it does the job as well as other boxes, I'd like to use it. I'm quite new at this stuff so all opinions and details are appreciated. Thanks

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

The XBOX is a reliable extender, but 2005 offers a lot of features that 2004 missed on; especially when dealing with different file types, better management of displays, and an array of other features that really come in handy.

3. Ed Kerns

Ed Kerns Agent

Thanks Chris. Any issues that you're aware of when installing 2005 over 2004? Seems like I've heard of things like the remote no longer working. Ed

4. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

For some reason, some people have had to unplug the remote, and plug it back in afterwards. Some remotes "lock up" so take the batteries out for about 10-20 seconds and then put them back in if this happens, it should reset itself. [​IMG]